Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch
Impact
What was supposed to be a productive thread to improve the forum has turned into a bashing by one disgruntled ex member who had his ego crushed when RJ banned his **s.

http://www.DNF/f72/DNF-com-namepros-com-what-do-you-like-hate-3-thread-493887.html#post2123651

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is actually a good example of when to ban somebody. Eric has already had to delete multiple posts, he's been banned at the other forum and it's a really simple line.

Are you here to be part of a community, get in discussions, buy/sell domains etc or just to start trouble, get at somebody. This one is pretty obvious and should have been handled already.

Everyone makes mistakes and has lessons to learn. There's appropriate actions for everything and in this case (at the moment) removing a few posts and noting why for the member to learn from is an acceptable solution (+ an infraction). If they continue, then naturally we'll have to start harsher disciplinary actions. What we don't want to do, is to start just banning everyone that makes a mistake. We also believe in second chances, just because someone got banned somewhere else breaking rules doesn't mean we should auto ban them without giving them a chance to see if they can better them self or if they have changed.

Time will tell though as each situation unfolds. Also, keep in mind that we have an infraction system, each type of infraction has a different amount of points associated to it, each members account is allotted 20 max active points before their account auto-closes.

Eric Lyon

Last edited:
•••
they usually ban member with a reason here, so i don't feel sorry for that guy lol.
the rest of the discussion is nice to read actually.

•••
Ultimately its really asking what can be done to bring more NP'ers over and for those who visit both sites, to visit there more.

The fact of the matter is, domaining as it was has changed big time, and the forums must be feeling this in terms of the bottom line.

I visit both, and there are pluses and minuses to be observed on both. Neither forum can be the preferred home for "everyone". As in life, you just simply can't make everyone happy.

In the end it's not the features or plugins you add, it always boils down to the people that make or break a community.

•••
One of the really main reasons I joined namepros was because of its inviting feeling

I think most of that invited feeling comes from showing respect and appreciation to members for their contributions to the forum.... When moderation intentionally ignores reports or PM's, that's shows a great lack of respect, and that invited feeling you once had is GONE.

I went to the store on Sunday to buy a pair of sunglasses, I was happy to find a pair that I liked, but when I tried to purchase it at the cashier, she was far too busy chatting with her co-worker about her party night before, there she was trying to ring up a $300 purchase and never once did she even look at me. Naturally I said something and naturally I took my business elsewhere.

NP simply has better store clerks, but the storefront needs improvement.

•••
Please try and keep this thread civil, there's no need for name calling / bashing. I think everyone can get their personal points / views / opinions across without resorting to hammering anyone's name(s) into the dirt.

Thanks,

Eric Lyon

Last edited:
•••
Heynow is correct to say that an auction house like Sothebys would not tolerate employees taking part in regular auctions and possibly bidding against customers.
It is interesting that until that incident gd had no policy on the matter, it shows that the industry is still young and unregulated. And gd was not an oddity either

It has little to do with regulation. Any business of any merit shies from any appearance of impropriety.

GoDaddy may not have had a policy which was a failing on their part but the employees should still know how their actions would appear.

But here's the reality. Outsiders know nothing but bidder1, bidder2 etc. We don't know who or any patterns. (Unlike Snapnames/Namejet where you see the same names over and over).

Inside the GoDaddy' wall people will know bidder1=joesmith. They will also know joesmith never bids more than $100 unless it's a color domain. They may know that he never bids on Tuesdays etc. If there was no GoDaddy policy against bidding I doubt there was policy regarding data access - especially to someone who was VP of the aftermarket. The data IS available that is not available outside.

Did Adam use that? I don't know. Do I know he had access to it? Not for sure .. but I presume he did because he obviously has lousy judgment. I won't believe him whatever he says unless he provides a sworn affidavit.

But things go on every day. Front running is rife - do I have proof? No I don't... but when people repeatedly have sales within 48 hrs of receiving a name it's more than just a "good eye".

Federer got found out. King.net/Emil got caught out with the equivalent of shill bidding. Adam Dicker got dung in house auctioning. Chef Patrick got caught up to no good. Everyone knows who Halvarez is. There are reported "sales" that were between business partners. Sales for multiples of thousands that never change whois. There are names that get picked up at Namejet well after expiry and names that appear at aftermarket that suddenly disappear behind Name.com privacy.

Sure, it's all part of the business. it's never getting regulated because no one cares, no one gets hurt and the relative money involved is not worth worrying about.

The auctions themselves are even debatable in their execution.
I'm not sure that it's clear that all GoDaddy's auctions are "with reserve" and that their website doesn't correspond to actual "reserve" as the comments were made on Hybrid Domainers blog. Ever seen bidders appear/disappear etc. Namejet can take the name back a MONTH after you win? Huh? What?

The industry is a farce.. and this is before even talking about traffic arbitrage, traffic scamming and any other number of sordid activities that are performed online by domainer, developers and the government and their sleazy "agencies" and partners.

I'm still amazed that people still think Google is clean...

Domaining is like the Tour De France. Until we get Tyler Hamilton, David Millars, Floyd Landis' of the world opening up.. it's all hidden under a "code of silence". Here's a clue. Everyone's cheating.

•••

That's great but none of those are against any policy at all and even go daddy stated clearly that they found no wrong doing.

Both links shows that Go Daddy had no rules against employees buying names when this took place and many were buying names.

Go Daddy had full access to check the back end to see if I used that to gain any advantage and after their in house investigation said I did not.

Also, it was not done in stealth mode, I used my real name and my account I had before I was with Go Daddy.

Again, if you have proof otherwise bring it forward, I am waiting.

I don't believe you have more knowledge than Go Daddy.

Also, .us stinks as far as revenue and resale but then you know that because over half your portfolio is .us.

I think you need to get past this and realize I have done a lot more good for this industry than this one incident in 15 years that you seem to be stuck on.... which Go Daddy even didn't find anything wrong with.

Adam Dicker

Last edited:
•••
Why this thread topic is in the "Industry News" section here at Namepros, is similarly baffling.

•••
Why this thread topic is in the "Industry News" section here at Namepros, is similarly baffling.

It should be in the "who gives a sh!t" section but that doesn't exist yet :p

•••
A lot of domains should be listed in that section.

•••
Today is a special day, it is the day I was banned.. No reason given.

Good Riddance DNF.COM, You are an embarrassment to the Internet Community.

In a thread about the Boston bombings asking for all parties and people to come together at this horrible time, you decided yet again to post your political views about this tragedy and blame Obama and that is ridiculous.

I have no view on US politics as I am Canadian.

I also love how you blame all Canadians for being banned on DNF when it was actually an American that banned you. You bigotry against Canadians is ridiculous.

Your post:
"This is what? the 2nd or 3rd Terrorist attack on US Soil since Obama became President?

And he's focused on doing what right now? Oh yeah, restricting Guns from law abiding Americans."

:imho: It won't be long until the smart people here figure you out as well.

Best wishes,
Adam Dicker

•••
...hi, Adam,

Nice to see you here, albeit wishing it was under more congenial circumstances. DNF was the first one I went to when I began my excursion into domaining. It is a shame that then, as now it seems, that there are many hostile members that take a dim and guarded view of new members.

But that's all good, because it was through that bullying that I discovered NP. Your forum may be the creme de la creme, per se, but I enjoy not being harassed, especially when expecting a professional forum where ideas can be exchanged.

Still, you are a friend on FB and I value your input. Thanx for your efforts in domaining...

I have nothing negative to say about Namerpos as Matt and I are friends. I wish you great success here. This is a great forum!

Happy to be your friend on facebook!

Adam Dicker

•••
@ everyone, Please try to express yourself in an ethical and professional manor. I understand that some of you may be frustrated and upset, however lets please try not to fall into name calling or make any unsupported accusations towards others. Opinions are fine and we encourage everyone to speak their minds without fear of censorship. Just please use your better judgement before you post and make sure that you aren't violating any rules or defamation of anyone's character without proof of the accusations.

I'm confident everyone can get their points across in a civil manor.

Thanks,

Eric Lyon

•••
Ahhhh, that feeling of 'love' at NP... 8-X.

:red:

.. it left a bad taste in the mouth of the industry. You don't see that?
As a simple observation, it seems after all this time since this incident, and the lack of others griping continuously as you do on it, 'you' are the only one still beating that dead horse issue, and enjoying that 'bad taste'. Maybe time to just get on with life? others have.

•••
Turns out after review it was a misattribution on my part making the link to his id tenuous at best.

C'est la vie.

I guess I should stop trying to be smarter than I is.

Bro, you aint got no gooder english, it shud be "smarter then I are"

Sum peeples kids, I swear.

Peece,
Sy

•••
they usually ban member with a reason here, so i don't feel sorry for that guy lol.
the rest of the discussion is nice to read actually.

Agree 100%... I made a similar comment in my earlier post, RJ has always been fair and has acted swiftly when dealing with bullies and troublemakers. In this case, I don't even have to know the particulars, only the players.

Ultimately its really asking what can be done to bring more NP'ers over and for those who visit both sites, to visit there more.

The fact of the matter is, domaining as it was has changed big time, and the forums must be feeling this in terms of the bottom line.

I visit both, and there are pluses and minuses to be observed on both. Neither forum can be the preferred home for "everyone". As in life, you just simply can't make everyone happy.

In the end it's not the features or plugins you add, it always boils down to the people that make or break a community.

You make excellent points, especially to the point that it's the people and administration that really contribute the success of the forum.

And YES, our industry has changed, times have changed and I think experienced domainers are looking for more that what Forums have to offer, this is why we see less and less veteran domainers...Seem their either creating their own blogs or turning to blogs for greater in depth discussion related to our industry.

•••
sometimes before innovating you start by copying others, then add your own twist to it.

Yes, every poet is a thief.

You can even be encouraged to steal art:

http://www.cnngo.com/sydney/visit/steal-banksy-your-hotel-without-conviction-or-charge-999809

The question "How can we get better" frames innovation around improvements whereas "What do you like about that other site and ours" frames the innovation around the copying.

It's really a non-issue. Just an observation.

•••
Stating that Namepros has no "Today's Posts" is not dependent on who says it. It's based on ignorance.
My bad. I can see that my 'ignorance' was not getting my opinions/suggestions cleared with the more knowledgeable, informed and experienced know-it-alls' here on NP. :rolleyes:

our industry has changed, times have changed and I think experienced domainers are looking for more that what Forums have to offer, this is why we see less and less veteran domainers..
Yup. Why hang around on the forums that full of bragging, insulting, berating, arguing with, etc. of others, just to make themselves feel that they are the experienced 'players' of that forum. :zzz: Sharing, growing and professional camaraderie with those that are 'doing', is so much more invigorating.

•••
Stating that Namepros has no "Today's Posts" is not dependent on who says it. It's based on ignorance.

'Today's Posts" is there at the top on the right - when you are not signed in
and when you are signed it says "New Posts" - which usually includes ALL the ones you missed.
as for finding anything worthwhile reading, can't see for the clutter.

•••
Both forums are different but Namepros is in my opinion much more userfriendly, rules are less restrictive handled (e.g. forum signatures) and in my opinion the members here are more helpful and less arrogant. It ís just a great international community and all I learned about domaining I learned more or less here and not there.

Last edited:
•••
Today is a special day, it is the day I was banned.. No reason given.

Not that I really care, I lost respect for the moderators and the owner over 2 years ago.. The way they unfairly enforce the rules according to who they like and disike...

Rules mean NOTHING when it's one of their favored sons, On DNF they are free to break any rule they wish, they are free to call members Phucking Kunts, Whores, Bitches and free to dig into members personal lives and display it for all too see, Go after members families, their kids, Everything under the sun is fair game on DNF, so long as your in the tank with the owner and moderators.

Good Riddance DNF.COM, You are an embarrassment to the Internet Community.

•••

There's the shoot sh!t section... I would have obligatory link to our content but that's just like spam.

•••
BFT's domainer related forum postings
NP Nearly 5000Posts over 8 years
DNF 2 Posts over same period

Nuff' said!

•••
@ everyone, Please try to express yourself in an ethical and professional manor. I understand that some of you may be frustrated and upset, however lets please try not to fall into name calling or make any unsupported accusations towards others. Opinions are fine and we encourage everyone to speak their minds without fear of censorship. Just please use your better judgement before you post and make sure that you aren't violating any rules or defamation of anyone's character without proof of the accusations.

I'm confident everyone can get their points across in a civil manor.

Thanks,

Eric Lyon

...couldn't agree more, Eric.

Adam proves his value as a leader by coming on this forum in a respectful manner to answer any questions we may have. I for one respect that quality in a person.

Repeating the same accusations over and over(ad infinitum, ad nauseum)after it has been appropriately answered to almost everyone's satisfaction, however, does weaken the thread and puts the experience in a useless loop, benefiting no one.

Thanks for this rare opportunity to provide an ear to our suggestions/complaints/tributes.

I am also confident that Adam did take some constructive criticism back to DNF with him. Just a nice surprise to "hear" from him here on Namepros...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back