IT.COM

NP SEO Links and Increased Server Load?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Namepros uses SEO type links, so the thread title is in the URL
...namepros-holiday-party-2008-a-2.html#post3205919 :tu:

I just saw an 'expert', on another forum claim "Yes, SEO links on forums will definitely increase load."
Whether on shared hosting or dedicated, does anyone have experience with knowing ~how much increase in average server load.

Small?
Medium?
Severe?

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Namepros uses vBSEO which does increase server load. If you google something like {vBSEO "server load} (without the brackets), you should find lots of interesting Google results worth reading.

I believe Namepros currently runs on 2 very high end servers, so it's not like vBSEO will drive you into the poorhouse, but it's probably not something you would want to use in a shared hosting environment.

Having a few blogs (no forums) myself, I can say that a program to rewrite forum URLs into SEO friendly ones is probably the best investment you can make.

~ The 34 Year Buzz!! said:
Namepros uses SEO type links, so the thread title is in the URL
...namepros-holiday-party-2008-a-2.html#post3205919 :tu:

I just saw an 'expert', on another forum claim "Yes, SEO links on forums will definitely increase load."
Whether on shared hosting or dedicated, does anyone have experience with knowing ~how much increase in average server load.

Small?
Medium?
Severe?

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Reece, I'll check the info on Google.
NP is one of the few large forums where I've noticed thread titles in the URL's.

-REECE- said:
...Having a few blogs (no forums) myself, I can say that a program to rewrite forum URLs into SEO friendly ones is probably the best investment you can make...

I only know basic PHP (so far)...
When you say, a program to rewrite forum URLs into SEO friendly ones, I assume you mean better written than vBSEO? or perhaps something that is not a plugin, just an advanced .htaccess modification??

•••
vBSEO is a great program. I looked into buying it myself a few months back when I was thinking about starting a few forums and it'll do what you're looking for if better SE optimized links is what you're after.

I tried to find a definitive answer as to server load for you, however looking at vBulletin.com it seems opinions are pretty divided.

Thanks Reece, I'll check the info on Google.
NP is one of the few large forums where I've noticed thread titles in the URL's.

Having a few blogs (no forums) myself, I can say that a program to rewrite forum URLs into SEO friendly ones is probably the best investment you can make.

I only know basic PHP (so far)...
When you say, a program to rewrite forum URLs into SEO friendly ones, I assume you mean better written than vBSEO? or perhaps something that is not a plugin, just an advanced .htaccess modification??

•••
-REECE- said:
...I tried to find a definitive answer as to server load for you, however looking at vBulletin.com it seems opinions are pretty divided.

I just came from the same thread. :)

Switching back in the future?

Using an SEO mod to re-direct ".php?" pages into ".html"
bb/showthread.php?tid....
into
bb/test-line-t-1.html#pid1 (for example)

If I start out with "friendly URL's" and need to switch later, is it 'easy' to write (404?) re-directs covering all the requests for .html links?
I don't need exact code now, just looking to verify this can be done (in the future) without too much trouble.

Thanks again

•••
Doesn't look like it'd be too difficult to switch back: http://www.vbseo.com/f77/what-happens-if-i-uninstall-vbseo-right-now-28016/ (maybe worth noting you might want to stay away if your host is Hostgator :laugh: )

I just came from the same thread. :)

Switching back in the future?

Using an SEO mod to re-direct ".php?" pages into ".html"
bb/showthread.php?tid....
into
bb/test-line-t-1.html#pid1 (for example)

If I start out with "friendly URL's" and need to switch later, is it 'easy' to write (404?) re-directs covering all the requests for .html links?
I don't need exact code now, just looking to verify this can be done (in the future) without too much trouble.

Thanks again

•••
greatness comes with a price. do you think namepros likes paying the bills for extra server load? it's all done because for our benefit and privilege, every posts here counts and it's 24/7 free classified ad machine.

•••
This is why we should always support NP advertisers... They keep the site running and best of all FREE!

•••
GF said:
This is why we should always support NP advertisers... They keep the site running and best of all FREE!

Plus, NP is much more friendly than some other unnamed forum, which NP rules don't allow us to say bad things about. ;)

#########

Any Apache pros know how to reverse this code? ((Please))
In the future, I might need to re-direct requests for re-written url's back into dynamic URL's

Code:
# //seo_mod_start

RewriteEngine On

# Uncomment the following and add your forum path if rewrites arent working properly

#RewriteBase /mybb/

RewriteRule ^index.html$ index.php [L,NE]

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-([0-9]+).html(.*)$ showthread.php?tid=$2$3 [QSA,L]

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-([0-9]+)-([0-9]+).html$ showthread.php?tid=$2&page=$3 [QSA,L]

RewriteRule ^(.*)-f-([0-9]+).html(.*)$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$2$3 [QSA,L]

RewriteRule ^(.*)-f-([0-9]+)-([0-9]+).html(.*)$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$2&page=$3 [QSA,L]

RewriteRule ^(.*)-f-([0-9]+)-([a-z]+)(-|-[a-z]+)-([0-9]+)-([0-9]+).html(.*)$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$2&sortby=$3&order=$4&datecut=$5&page=$6$7 [L]

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-([0-9]+).html$ announcements.php?aid=$2 [L]

# //seo_mod_end

FYI:
{MyBB not VB}

html format:
/bb/quality-begins-with-value-and-service-t-30.html#pid37

php format
/bb/showthread.php?tid=30&pid=37#pid37

Can anyone help with a .htaccess to reverse the lines of code above?
Thank you

•••
Start SEO Friendly and Reduce Load Later...

...Can anyone help with a .htaccess to reverse the lines of code above?
Thank you

Update:
This actually turned out to have a very easy answer (regarding MyBB forums and SEO friendly links)

1) Disable the Spicefuse SEO mod (to reduce server load)
2) Your .htaccess file is now blank, and you need to put the code posted above back in (MyBB 1.2.x, 1.4.x has different details)
3) The forum now operates with standard URL's, and the .htaccess still handles old inbound links with "friendly" URL's.
4) The SEO mod can be disabled, and all the old inbound links will still work.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back