NameSilo

Not sure which domain name to choose.

Labeled as advice in Domain Buying and Domain Purchases, started by plot_lib, Jun 12, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. plot_lib

plot_lib New Member

I am currently looking to purchase a domain name for my portfolio website (used to showcase projects) and had a few questions about it. I found that my firstnamelastname.com was already taken but lastnamefirstname.com was available so I am just confused on whether I should just get that one or go for firstnamelastname.online which is also available. I am leaning more towards the lastnamefirstname.com but it's the other way around as usually most personal portfolio websites start with firstname lastname, my first and last name add up to 8 characters not sure if that helps. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. FolioTeam

FolioTeam AMDB.tv VIP

Go lastnamefirstname.com

Or buy the right order if it is for sale

3. plot_lib

plot_lib New Member

Yes I think I will just modify it to firstnamemiddleinitiallastname.com thank you for the help!

4. esa

esa Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

firstname.cctld would be ok too

5. AEProgram

AEProgram Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

First name last name

6. johnn

johnn WeSellName.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Pick something that's brandable.
    Why use your personal name?

7. plot_lib

plot_lib New Member

Its just cause this is like my personal portfolio where I would showcase my web development projects and use this website to show recruiters or hiring managers my skills by adding the link to it on my resume. Almost all developers use either their firstlast or lastfirst as the domain name.

8. gilescoley

gilescoley Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I'd go with a cool brandable and stay away from christian/surname domains.

9. iAdam

iAdam iadam.com Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

If your first name+last name are taken you are already famous. Mine are not taken but i choose to go with a brandable name rather then my name.

10. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Top Contributor VIP

LastnameFirstname could be ok and certainly better than .online

You can also go Firstname-Lastname.com

In most European countries, Japan etc., hyphen is well accepted and widely used. Often, you can see companies/projects registering dash version while the merged version is still available.

The local cctld should be also an acceptable choice for you. In most countries, local cctld is either first or second choice for companies. So your audience (recruiters + potential clients) won't have problem remembering the name.

11. plot_lib

plot_lib New Member

Yeah, I just went with lastfirst.com as it was the only feasible one as my lastfirst isn't that long so it's kind of easier to remember and I went with .com as that's the domain everyone is familiar with.

12. TauseefKhan

TauseefKhan Top Contributor VIP

having a brand name makes more sense.

personal name domains can be utilized to showcase various other things you do apart from domains and techs. Or just forward it to your Linkedin page.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice