IT.COM

discuss Nose Down, Rear Axles Up - Domain Inspiration

NameSilo
Watch
Those of you who follow my writings know that part of my past is full of close encounters with some of life's less desirable situations. After writing an article entitled “how I broke free from the chains and got my start”, the questions started pouring in. Readers wanted to hear more about my adventures, and pitfalls. Since this is a domain forum and the topics in the Domain Name Discussion forum should remain about the industry itself, I needed to find a perfect medium.

I asked myself, “How do I get my adventures out there and still keep everything related to the domain industry?” After about an hour of stroking my beard and making some rather funny noises, I came to the decision to merge the two in a well-balanced article that not only gets the juicy stories out there, but also provide some insight on domain investing at the same time.

In a previous article, a member requested more information about a comment that I made landing my vehicle nose down, with the rear axles up.

and no, the original van was found at end of a desert trail in the moapa desert, nose down / rear axles up. That was a 4 mile hike on foot through the desert to get to a rundown moapa indian reservation gas station.

This is where it all gets interesting...

images

Story: The year was 1995, and I’m not sure what came over me except the excitement of adventure of uncharted territory. When I saw a Moapa River Indian Reservation sign, I got off at the very next exit and carelessly drove. However, the excitement settled once it was apparent that I was driving down the wrong road. The adventurer in me said, “Hey, take a turn on that desert road and follow it a ways, it might end up bringing you to the reservation.”

So I followed my gut feeling.

Commentary: I couldn't help but wonder at the time if Native Indian’s reservation’s businesses’ had an online presence yet. I'm sure there were probably a few, but could there potentially be an untapped market for them now?

Story: There I was, heading down this sandy desert road for about 4 miles when, wham! I had driven straight into a ditch, which might have been an old river bed of some sort, but it hadn’t had water in it for some time.

Commentary: Old river domains? Hmm, I wonder how many rivers have dried up over the years that none of the mainstream investors picked up on. I thought to myself, “Could they be potential areas for tourists or metal detector hobbyists?”

Story: So, there I was, four miles in the middle of nowhere near my van with its nose down in the ditch and the rear axles up on the edge of a dried up river bed. I had no cell phone reception, no money left and about two cups worth of water in my canteen.

I knew that if I stayed there with the sun directly over me, I would probably end up dying of dehydration as I saw no signs of life for miles. I decided to sit in the van that was still operational, with the air conditioning running till night fall when it would be cooler out. Then, I planned to hike it back towards the highway.

Commentary: Seems to me that there could be a market for desert adventures of the unplanned kind. Survival book outlet / tips and tricks / targeted survival stories site / community of desert drifters / etc.

Story: At nightfall, I placed a change of clothing with a few other personal items into a shirt and tied the sleeves together so I could sling it around my shoulder, and headed off into the unknown.

I ended up depleting half of my water supply in the first mile alone, even though it was at its coolest. Under the glow of the moonlight, I could see snake holes all over the place in the sand with the occasional rattle snake. I carefully maneuvered forward as if I were in field of landmines, careful not to trigger one of the rattlers to feel threatened while I was near them.

After 3 miles, all my water diminished. One mile to go; feeling drained, and thirsty.

Commentary: Whoa, I found myself doing the rattle snake shake dance. A lot of snake domains are taken, but there seems to be heaps of long tail snake domain names available that are comprised of Region↔Snake Type variants. The more popular combinations are gone, but there are several smaller niches available.

I wonder what kind of ROI those could bring for mini-site development? Are there any domain investors on NamePros who are in this niche?

Story: I finally made it back to the interstate where I could see a Moapa rest stop and cafe. With no money left and humping it, I figured I could at least find a hose to fill my canteen and hitch hike a ride into Las Vegas.

I was rather lucky that night. After I went into the cafe to rest it off, the waitress asked if I was ok. I told her my encounter and she brought me over a free bottle of water with soup and saltine crackers. After thanking her, I left and sat outside waiting on travelers to stop so that I could ask for a ride.

It took about 6 hours of people declining, some rudely and some not, before an elderly couple said that they could get me to where I needed to go. With no real destination of Vegas in mind and the couple cringing at the ripe odor I had after all the sweating without bathing, I had them drop me off on the side of the road once the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign was in sight.

Commentary: There has to be some way people can thank others publicly for the good deeds they have done and it be archived, much like the Way Back Machine. I see the random anonymous sites where people plug others businesses and of course the millions of spam sites out there with backlinks, but I don't really come across a genuine "Thank You" site much. I’m not sure how bad the moderation it would be, but it sure sounds like a good idea in theory; random sincere “Thanks” to others (personal or business) for the unconditional help they provided to a stranger.

One thing about our moderator @David Walker that came to my attention after collaborating on this piece is the above is exactly what he does with his “thank you very much” site, and it was hard to manage. Kudos to someone that does their social responsibility in this world, donating all profits to wounded veterans and animal shelters.

In Closing

Ok, so that was the short and skinny version of the story. Sorry if I bored some of you with it and I hope it spiced up others day that enjoy this type of reading material. I'm happy to share more about my adventures, the domain industry, and other things that may go bump in the night in dark alleys, or, wait, I suppose it depends on that last one.

Let me know if these types of stories with domain related commentary interest any of you or if I should go back to sticking to the more technical article style. Your opinions matter to me :)

By: @Eric_Lyon (03-11-2015)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice post, Eric. Made me think about how my kids are always getting on me as I check to see if the dot com is taken for whatever just happened to us. Good story to boot.

•••
Interesting adventure. Wish I could see that terrain in the outbacks. There is a shop in Portobello, London not far from me where I get authentic native Indian fashion stuff from. Bracelets, necklace, rings etc.

Maybe you can create a thread for such adventures and stick the stories in there. Then keep the technical stuff coming too. Best of both worlds.

•••
Nice post, Eric. Made me think about how my kids are always getting on me as I check to see if the dot com is taken for whatever just happened to us. Good story to boot.
Exactly, every instance that happens in life is a potential domain investment waiting to happen.. ;) .. Though, i suppose investing in everything that happens to us may get a little on the expensive side when renewal time hits :P
Interesting adventure. Wish I could see that terrain in the outbacks. There is a shop in Portobello, London not far from me where I get authentic native Indian fashion stuff from. Bracelets, necklace, rings etc.

Maybe you can create a thread for such adventures and stick the stories in there. Then keep the technical stuff coming too. Best of both worlds.
Gotta love traditional Indian fashion. :) - Not sure a single thread would work, as the stories may get a little lost in all the comments in between them, not to mention that many of my encounters may not jive with a previous one (different adventures), so it could potentially send a thread in a million directions. lol Maybe a whole forum category dedicated to the adventures of a nomadic domainer? lol ha.. not sure about that either, but it would at least provide the separation of articles for topic targeting.

•••
Yes to the forum idea. That would be great.

•••
After seeing the pictures you posted earlier of what appear to be Bronco's to semi's (sorry if I'm wrong, it's been so long), I decided to rent a RAM 1500 in the states. That's the biggest vehicle I have road driven as I never took the HMMWV driving course in the Marines and have always stuck to a mid-sized sedan.

Got over the nervousness of it in a few minutes and when someone explained why the turning was way different; could nail everything (except parallel parking, and I can't do that in a car either). From way up there (the cab), it's somewhat hard after just hours of driving to gauge exactly where you are in a lane, but I noticed that nobody drives close to a swerving big truck anyway.

Was able to take it on some off-road trails, probably against policy, but kept 'er easy. Luckily, I didn't land like you did, but had full medical/car insurance on her just in case (and it probably had some kind of GPS tracking in it). ;)

I can see the future potential of such domains mentioned, but far out. Tourists for the most part don't want to go to areas like this. It would have to be mom-and-pop's targeting a micro-niche of adventurists. (Coming from my limited experience in an area where there are many mountainous trails)

•••
I see you only posted half the story in order to heighten the anticipation. Did you ever attempt to recover your vehicle? If yes, then I for one, would like to here how the rest of the story turned out.

•••
Any adventure that ends with, "I had them drop me off on the side of the road once the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign was in sight." isn't much of an adventure. Come on embellish a little bit. :)

You could have ended with "I woke up during the ride to Vegas and Grandma was riding me" LOL

•••
Nice story Eric.

Ever since I got into the domain business I have found myself wondering about domain availabilities when something happens in my life. I think that many domainers have that feeling. Watching TV, reading books, talking to someone, seeing news stories all seem to get me thinking about what would be a good domain in a certain field/topic.

When I first saw the title of your post here I was thinking that "NoseDownAxlesUp.com" would be a good domain. It would surely get people curious (or maybe scared. LOL) to check out the domain to see what's on it.

•••
I see you only posted half the story in order to heighten the anticipation. Did you ever attempt to recover your vehicle? If yes, then I for one, would like to here how the rest of the story turned out.
I may expand on that in the near future as a continuation. I have 2 or 3 other articles to roll out here in the next week or so first. However, I can give you a slight spoiler since you asked. The conversion van in question was one of many over the years I picked up at Government / Military / Law Enforcement type auctions for $250 to $750. So the investment on it was minimal and at the time, considered expendable. With that said, I left it in the desert. Not sure if it's still sitting there rusting away or if someone came across it and salvaged it. Maybe one of these days, I'll venture back out there in a 4x4 or a dune buggy to check. That would not only be a story for another time, but with today's technology it would also be recorded on video. :)

Any adventure that ends with, "I had them drop me off on the side of the road once the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign was in sight." isn't much of an adventure. Come on embellish a little bit. :)

You could have ended with "I woke up during the ride to Vegas and Grandma was riding me" LOL
I think i'll keep this more G to R rated and hold off on X rated stuff. Though, I suppose I could share a few stories in the adult forum some day.

Nice story Eric.

Ever since I got into the domain business I have found myself wondering about domain availabilities when something happens in my life. I think that many domainers have that feeling. Watching TV, reading books, talking to someone, seeing news stories all seem to get me thinking about what would be a good domain in a certain field/topic.

When I first saw the title of your post here I was thinking that "NoseDownAxlesUp.com" would be a good domain. It would surely get people curious (or maybe scared. LOL) to check out the domain to see what's on it.
Ya, I agree, there are always opportunities in everything we do daily to capitalize on the digital property aspects. You just have to make sure you do lots of research prior to investing in any of them. Many daily life instances have terrible ROI's .. lol :P ha

•••
After seeing the pictures you posted earlier of what appear to be Bronco's to semi's (sorry if I'm wrong, it's been so long), I decided to rent a RAM 1500 in the states. That's the biggest vehicle I have road driven as I never took the HMMWV driving course in the Marines and have always stuck to a mid-sized sedan.

Got over the nervousness of it in a few minutes and when someone explained why the turning was way different; could nail everything (except parallel parking, and I can't do that in a car either). From way up there (the cab), it's somewhat hard after just hours of driving to gauge exactly where you are in a lane, but I noticed that nobody drives close to a swerving big truck anyway.

Was able to take it on some off-road trails, probably against policy, but kept 'er easy. Luckily, I didn't land like you did, but had full medical/car insurance on her just in case (and it probably had some kind of GPS tracking in it). ;)

I can see the future potential of such domains mentioned, but far out. Tourists for the most part don't want to go to areas like this. It would have to be mom-and-pop's targeting a micro-niche of adventurists. (Coming from my limited experience in an area where there are many mountainous trails)
Some of my best and most memorable experiences in life have been by going off the beaten path or simply stepping outside of a comfort zone. Sounds like you had a good time with the Ram.I've always preferred larger vehicles over the smaller ones, I guess it's psychological that one feels safer in a tank than jeep in the event of a fender bender. Personally, I still prefer vehicles that are mid 90's or older due to stronger / higher quantity of metal's used in the framework and less plastic or electronic parts. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back