Domain Empire

analysis No XYZ... .COM is KING! Analyzed the URL patterns of over 2 million Crunchbase listed companies.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Digital Nomad

Top Member
Impact
SquadHelp Founder & CEO Darpan shared a nice graph with the TLD Usage of over 2 million Crunchbase listed companies. What stands out, that there is no XYZ in the list which must be less than 0.29%.

.COM is clearly the KING towering the graph like a skyscraper with a whopping 63.17%.

tweet.png

Source: Twitter

crunch.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes , .com of course , I have yet to figure out the sales in .xyz , they are happening though .

•••
•••
what I wrote to Nick wasn’t for you

Take care “when responding” to someone else, not sure why you felt the need to reply in reference to my salutations to them ...

That said, it is clearly obvious that the post is filled with pro .com investors hence not a single person took a look at the redacted document from Verisign I posted

And @bmugford “critical thinking” was postured towards @Sutruk (not) you, or anyone else for that matter ... I have no problem debating with reasonable investors with a different mentality but calling .com daddy is too cringe for my taste and chanting .com only while .com only (Verisign) invests in other .extensions is pretty fascinating to say the least
Seriously mate - have you been drinking? :xf.smile:

I responded to a comment that you responded to me

Edit

Came across as if I was drinking...... the post above was not meant for me

Last edited:
•••
So why doesn’t Verisign sell them O.com as they promised that would
Verisign does not own the .COM registry. They are simply allowed to operate it under contract.

If any single character .COM was actually made available it would likely be a lengthy process involving more than just Verisign simply deciding to hand it over to a party. That would face massive resistance.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Has any King remained king forever? Go to history classes if you haven't been to one.
Forever is a long time. For now and for the foreseeable, if we're getting technical

•••
To me it's walking outside everyday, looking up at the sky and telling people "Oh look the sky is blue". Because they might think otherwise if it wasn't for me constantly reiterating it.

But I understand, there are some wackos out there with massive influence and we really have to protect those poor souls that think the sky is green.

No in all sincerity, I get it. We gotta protect that blue sky from any other colors! At least with this thread though should really state at least the bias of it. It does not reflect whatsoever anything outside of this glorified "Crunchbase" data which is gleamed only to, well itself. If you truly are looking out for other folks who might misplace it to mean a totality of namespace usage.

•••
Thanks for the info, I still want to see a list of atleast 50 if you can. BTW Did you mistype spr.ing on purpose? :tightlyclosedeyes:
:xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin: No sooner said than done. :ROFL:
I wonder how many of their users already go to spring dot com, instead to spri dot ng (a nightmare to type it correctly by the way). Sprin.g? Spr.ing? oh yeah finally, spring.com!

Last edited:
•••
What do you mean "she's an exception, the rest of us are not"? We're ALL an exception and that includes YOU:xf.wink:
I mean that her business model is an exception, what she did was exceptional in terms of investing early on & grabbing the best xyz with standard renewals, & also that she owns thousands & thousands & pays hundreds of thousands in renewals, & makes hundreds of thousands, so in that sense she's indeed an exception.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I think China loves .NET a lot, but it still is nowhere near the towering .COM which is a global extension.

Thanks @URLU, it also appears .NET has become the extension of choice for online gambling sites, something that the Chinese are rather fond of as well. That's been my observation.

•••
Decoupled world also means .com loses market share to other extensions, and thats happening now- The wealthiest businesses using .com doesn't automatically prove .com is the biggest and best- it just means its most used by the top/most competitive businesses- same thing with car market- Toyota and Tesla might be taking the largest market share now, but there are many other competitors out there still doing good business in alternative markets.

Good point (y)

I think alot boils down to research and experience, coupled with abit of chance and luck. It's easier (and cheaper) to find LLLL in .XYZ than .COM. I've hedged my bet by securing both, as well as other extensions (on domains which I own in king), edging out the option to substitute.

•••
There is always so much worry about dot-com positioning it's humorous. It's like this constant need for reassurance.
I don't think it's positioning.....more like fact checking.....

When people spout nonsense or position something that is not factually correct then it's needs to be discussed / called out.....

There has been a few posts on here that have not been right.......comparisons are made that highlight .com over certain extensions...... does not mean it is positioning

Last edited:
•••
What matters is who is making money? Clearly XYZ owners are making money.
"Clearly" is very optimistic to write.

BTW - apologie to all the soft domaining souls that were offended by my "mental" comment about the .xyz enthusiasts. I was just trying to help.

•••
Sort of like how Bitcoin is king.

Any startup will run into the issue of telling people about their domain.xyz website and have to deal with explaining what an XYZ is. It simply does not have the same mindshare as com. Even though I sort of like xyz now, it's still just getting pumped like altcoins instead of Bitcoin.

•••
but to me, i translate this geopolitically as - "US is King, so i dont believe any other country will ever surpass US no matter the time" - but we have China today, that has a larger economy that US.

I believe some other extensions like .CO, .IO, even .IN have higher ROI than .COM does.

Don't forget India. English is not only widely spoken and GDP is booming (despite Covid, which has slowed the Chinese). Web development is a key industry there, in which case, .IO satisfies both domestic and foreign markets as a tech-savvy extension.

•••
How long is that going to take?

"New" extensions go back around (9) years now.

Outside .XYZ and a handful of other new extensions hardly anyone seems to care about the many hundreds (or thousands) of other new extensions.

If people are not "educated" by now, that is a problem.

Maybe many are educated, they just don't care.

Brad
Apathetic ignorance - seems like an oxymoron but is really a sad state of affairs........

•••
You know critical thinking is a very important skill that the majority of the world lacks ... I believe that your words above emphasize that accordingly
You first. It's obvious that you are stuck in your ".newextension dream" loop. People here are telling you the reasons why .COM is the preferred domain extension by large.

Facts, reality, versus fantasy. It's not me, nor domainers who say .COM is the king. It's the people, the world, that clearly prefers a .COM as the defining and king extension for a domain name.

That's why everybody, once they have the chance, upgrades to the .COM when they have the funds. It's not for play or for throwing away their funds. It's for a reason, and the reason is the king .COM (y)

•••
Obviously .COM is the undisputed king of extensions. We domainers all know that as a fact.

But for me, as a full-time domainer, i don't care if I sell a .COM, a .XYZ or even a .HORSE, it's the total profit that matters, so I can "put food on the table".

I make most of my profit for the so called new gTLD's. Others make them from selling .COMs.
Yes, I'm agree on 200%.
Market is so huge with tons of possibilities.
Anyway I hold .COM domains and zero XYZ =)

Last edited:
•••
Has any King remained king forever? Go to history classes if you haven't been to one.

•••
Forever is a long time. For now and for the foreseeable, if we're getting technical
Yeah we (sadly) have had monarchy for about 1,200 years........including the Scottish lines, without that around 1,100 years

I might be wrong but Japan is pushing on 1,500 years with a monarchical line (Emperor)........

Norway, Denmark and Sweden are still going strong after 1000 years + (I think)

Let's see if any domain extension gets anywhere close.......well we won't see because we'll be dead....but you get the idea

Last edited:
•••
com is king ! YOLO!
Xyz is who? FOMO?

•••
My question, will foreign investors be more apt to adopt .XYZ (ie. Chinese crypto)? The rationale being, .COM is mostly viewed as staple Western TLD, while letters X,Y,Z are commonplace in the language. Any thoughts? :unsure:

•••
Sort of like how Bitcoin is king.

Any startup will run into the issue of telling people about their domain.xyz website and have to deal with explaining what an XYZ is. It simply does not have the same mindshare as com. Even though I sort of like xyz now, it's still just getting pumped like altcoins instead of Bitcoin.
i get your analogy and its a good one- but your analogy also confirms something else also - there is success in other cryptos than BTC, so when you translate that to domains, it means .COM is the most in demand by the most successful and wealthiest businesses and individuals, but there are other extensions with their own market dynamics that are also successful. Decoupled world also means .com loses market share to other extensions, and thats happening now- The wealthiest businesses using .com doesn't automatically prove .com is the biggest and best- it just means its most used by the top/most competitive businesses- same thing with car market- Toyota and Tesla might be taking the largest market share now, but there are many other competitors out there still doing good business in alternative markets.

The ALT world is now in full display i guess.

•••
The only way any TLD ever surpasses COM is if HNS takes off.

•••
There is always so much worry about dot-com positioning it's humorous. It's like this constant need for reassurance.
There's no need for reassurance. It's just stating the facts of real life. So no one is misled about .newextension chants.

Last edited:
•••
There have been contracts in the past where Verisign was not allowed to raise rates.

New Verisign deal blocks .com price hikes
https://money.cnn.com/2012/11/30/technology/verisign/

The raising rates part is where the sweetheart deal comes into play.

Verisign has technically done a good job managing the registry, but the big issue is price increases.
If there was a public bidding process, prices would likely come down drastically.

Of course with extensions like .XYZ, your are far more at the whim of the actual registry owner.
That is why you have premium registration and/or renewal fees and tiers.

That type of system will never appeal to me.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back