IT.COM

advice New Spam Method Using Godaddy Email

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Skumars

Established Member
Impact
Today morning, I received an email with the subject line "Someone would like to contact you about your domain" from the email "[email protected]". The details are below:

We received a request from someone who'd like to contact you regarding ********.com, which you registered through GoDaddy. This contact method is designed to provide a way for people who are interested in your domain to reach you, while still keeping your contact information private.

We're required by ICANN regulations to forward these types of requests to you, and you're not under any obligation to respond.

Remember, we have no information on the legitimacy of these contacts, and scammers have been known to try to pose as GoDaddy or other companies. Use caution when viewing or replying to unsolicited messages from third parties. If you determine you would like to respond to this message, please be aware that you are electing to respond directly to a third party that has no affiliation with GoDaddy.

Here is the message from [email protected]. Once again, this is NOT from a GoDaddy representative.

Hello! We've found your email via WHO IS. Are you interested in selling your domain? We can make an offer in $XX,XXX range. How do you want to get paid: Paypal, Bitcoin or wire? E. Saliba, Ph.D. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia Saudi Host Inc.

To respond directly to the requester, simply reply to this email.

-------------------------

Once I replied back, I got this message again with the email sender as [email protected]. The message is below:

Thank you for confirming you have received our email. We're required by ICANN regulations to forward these types of requests to you. However this is our obligation to verify the legitimacy of such requests.

To protect you we have verified this contact and may confirm the legitimacy of the request to purchase your domain. The buyer has provided the proof of funds so now you can communicate with the buyer safely.

To respond safely to the domain buyer, simply reply to this email and he will receive your response on his email account. Then you will be able to communicate direct without GoDaddy.

----------------------------

After my reply, the traditional appraisal certificate scam started. Be aware of this new kind of spam technique. The final email even mentioned that "this is a certified by GoDaddy domain offer with full proof of funds"

Domain investors and Godaddy must take notice of it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its a scam and GoDaddy doesn’t seem to care these are getting shared here repeatedly and sent out to domain owners via their platform. Delete it don’t reply.

•••
I find it very weird that godaddy allowed this type of contact in the first place. Godaddy are known as greedy bastards and they used to charge people to even be allowed to talk to sellers. Even then, a GD employee would do the talking.

Now all of a sudden, people can send messages freely? How come?

•••
I got the same one yesterday.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back