Dynadot

question Is direct contact via GoDaddy often spam?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TheFreedomChaser

Established Member
Impact
I am a newbie and a bit cautious when it comes to online security. Keen to hear if anyone thinks the below is my very first lead….or a red flag!

Earlier today I received an email from GoDaddy which looks legit below, it starts with:

‘Someone is trying to contact you regarding xxx.com.

We received a request from someone who'd like to contact you regarding xxx.com, which you registered through GoDaddy. This contact method is designed to provide a way for people who are interested in your domain to reach you, while still keeping your contact information private.’

It also includes the email address of the party who wants to get in contact and their message:

‘I would like to contact you regarding your domain and/or content on your website.’

Is this normal? Or just a typical spam technique targeting domain owners?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for pointing out their settings. So they do have an ability to filter for spam prior to forwarding email. Do you think that setting would eliminate the problem? And, for the original poster of this thread, did he have this setting in place?
If one has the spam filter on with the forwarding, and an obvious spurious email shows up anyhow, I wonder if Godaddy or DomainsbyProxy has a setting where such cases can be forwarded to add to their subsequent filtering.

I don't even waste my time with them anymore.

Truth be told, I never actually tested the "Filter for spam" option, but one would think that the default "Do not forward" option would take care of it. Unfortunately, it doesn't, so I didn't bother getting my PS Rep involved to request an additional update.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back