DAN.com

New GoDaddy Scam?

Located in Reviews, started by Volontier, Sep 20, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. Volontier

Volontier Upgraded Member Gold Account

Hello guys, I am aware of the scam going on where somebody reaches out to you and offers you XX.XXX for your domain name, claiming they are a broker and buying it on a behalf of the company etc...

I received a similar email couple days ago but this time there is something different.

Here is the first email:
    Nothing unusual, seems like the one I got last time. I did reply saying I am interested in selling the domain name.
    However the next email surprised me and supposedly it came from GoDaddy :

Than I got another email from the buyer again which reviled that it was the same type of scam that was going on for a while:

Did anyone get a similar email? I realize this is scam and just want to make sure people know about it.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

3. freety85

freety85 Established Member

typical appraisal scam

4. Brian L.

Brian L. Top Contributor VIP ICA Member

Those emails are a lot more elaborate than most I’ve seen.

5. wwwulff

wwwulff Top Contributor VIP

it's clearly a scam but it has nothing to do with GoDaddy

6. johnn

johnn WeSellName.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Wrong title. Godaddy did not scam.

7. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Top Contributor VIP

The point these people are trying to make is how it's suspicious that godaddy would send an email of verification the scammer's funds. I don't believe godaddy are doing this and neither do most others, but it's strange.

I think I remember reading a previous thread where someone proved that the email came from godaddy. How do they manage to slip through the cracks? Maybe they send a photoshopped bank account balance?

8. wwwulff

wwwulff Top Contributor VIP

Op apparently suspects GoDaddy for being involved otherwise the title does not make any sense

9. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Top Contributor VIP

Well, not necessarily. It happened through the godaddy platform. Like loads of eBay scams. They're not scams done by eBay staff, just scams that happened through eBay.

OP might as well be accusing godaddy but to me, that's not necessarily implied by the title.

10. YairDD

YairDD Top Contributor VIP

11. Volontier

Volontier Upgraded Member Gold Account

I am aware that it is not GoDaddy trying to scam me, it is just happening through their platform so that is why I chose that title.
    The weirdest thing is the "official" email that I got from them saying that they have verified the buyer's funds and pretty much telling me that it is okay to proceed with the transaction.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  12. Sutruk

Sutruk Top Contributor VIP

Are you sure that email came from Godaddy?? Have you checked the email headers and FROM where it really comes??

That email saying "The buyer has provided the proof of funds so now you can communicate with the buyer safely." really, I don't see that one coming from Godaddy.

13. Sutruk

Sutruk Top Contributor VIP

In resume, that is a scam, but it is NOT a Godaddy scam, so you should edit the thread title.

Just say that you have received the typical certificate scam by email.

14. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Top Contributor VIP

How did you verify the email came from Godaddy? If you read between the lines, then you would have understoos that that email is not from Godaddy. Why? They will tell you to deal with the buyer when they verified the money
    ...they would handle it and get commission :-P

So ,no, no way that email is sent from Godaddy.

And oh, Godaddy DID NOT scam you so the title is misleading and you should change it.

15. Masay

Masay Established Member

typical "godaddy" scam.. leveraging email from godaddy to scam people.

16. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

The crappier the name the better the scam works as when everyone tells them their name is worthless they get all defensive as think they have an offer and still pay for the appraisal which they don't even get as it is all about the money. There have been people that refused to hear advice and still pay.

17. Silentptnr

Silentptnr Top Contributor VIP

Cool thing about GoDaddy is that you can pick up the phone and call them any time.

No good excuse for the post title. Op knew what they were doing with that title.

18. domainchampion

domainchampion Upgraded Member Blue Account

i received similar email and just give a reply to test and see.

To my surprise, after my reply, GoDaddy send a reply to me that they have confirm the buyer identity and verify buyer fund.

After that the scammer reply on top and use that to make it look like a real interest. (even says the cert is from GD, lolz)

This is shocking, not from the scammer but GoDaddy!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  19. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Top Contributor VIP

How is this possible? @Joe Styler , I still believe it is impossible Godaddy sent you these emails

20. Joe Styler

Joe Styler Aftermarket Product Manager GoDaddy Staff Afternic Staff PRO VIP

We do send the emails from the whois - with a pretty big disclaimer. This copy does not align with what we send, so I do not think we sent this particular email.

21. PolTaj

PolTaj New Member

I got on this morning too and the disclaimer is there and 100% clear that the email is sent through godaddy, but not from a godaddy representative.

Remember, we have no information on the legitimacy of these contacts, and scammers have been known to attempt to pose as representatives of GoDaddy or other companies. Be cautious when viewing or responding to unsolicited messages from third parties. If you determine that you wish to reply to this message, please note that you are deciding to reply directly to a third party that has no affiliation with GoDaddy.

Here is the message from e.rosenberg @ galcomm-il . info. Again, this is NOT from a GoDaddy representative.

22. Sweet2hrme

Sweet2hrme Established Member

I got the similar message from Godaddy and from the broker that someone is interested in buying your domain. Saying they need certificate to sell domain. Do you have certificate?? It's strange how godaddy can do this??

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  23. SimoAmi

SimoAmi New Member

To save people time, I received the same emails and can confirm it's SCAM.

Here is my analysis:

1. First Email is Legit. The scammer used the GoDaddy platform to contact you. So the email came from GoDaddy. This was done by the scammer to establish some misleading trust (oh it's from godaddy, must be legit). Please note that GoDaddy clearly says:

Once again, this is NOT from a GoDaddy representative.

2. You reply to the person directly to let them know you're interested.

3. The scammer sends you 2 emails carefully timed to look like godaddy reported that they verified them then a personal email from them claiming that they passed the godaddy verification.

In reality, the second email from godaddy is not really from godaddy for 2 reasons. First, you replied to the scammer directly so godaddy wouldn't know about it. Yet the reply claims to come from godaddy. Second, if you use a web email client, you'll see that the sender is in fact:

donotreply att godaddy via galcomm-il

Unfortunately some emails clients will only show the first string donotreply at godaddy and you're not able to spot that this is a phishing type of email

4. The last email is directly from the scammer and is supposed to lure you with the large $XX,XXX amount into giving in to the scam.

My advice is to just delete the email and ignore the scammer. I hope this helps others.

24. hollywood

hollywood Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

That's the problem: they pretend to be godaddy.

@Joe Styler

25. qahn

qahn Established Member

I received an email similar to this. "Hello! We saw your name listed for sale. We can offer a good price in five figure range. How do you want to get paid: Paypal, Bitcoin or wire? E. Rosenberg, Ph.D. Haifa Israel Galcomm Co."

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice