Dynadot

strategy New Niche Binge - Restaurant and Food Services

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
As most of you know for the last five years I've attempted to carve out a niche portfolio with the likes of new TLD's like; .realty, .homes, .online and most recently .link (see thread titled "Throwing in the Towel".

Not being one to give up on anything and living in the largest resort city in the world I've decided to focus on the food services industry, and restaurants in particular. And this isn't to say I'm giving up on the 300 brandable name portfolio I've accumulated over the years.

This idea/revelation came to me while waiting to pick up my order @ CaribShack.biz (featured on the Food Networks Diners - Drive-Ins and Dives by Guy Fieri). When i saw their .biz TLD, i checked to see who might own the .com and and it happens to be for sale at DAN for $9,300. Then while waiting I thought I'd see if the domain CaribHut.com was available to register, and damned if it was, so for $9.45 i registered it:xf.grin:

In the US alone there are over a million restaurants with well over 200,000 startups each year. Anyone else see this as a profitable niche assuming a comprehensive "outbound" marketing strategy is developed? Anyone own food/restaurant domains that need exposure? Suggestions, observations and recommendations are welcome. Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry Doc.....ddidn't you know I'm here just for your entertainment:xf.eek:

•••
OK. So if I'm getting this right .Biz is now the new wining extension in your new search for partnerships but this time in the food services businesses.

I find it strange that you latch on to different extensions because they apparently fit your ideal pairing by quoting a few examples in use. Having worked in the catering and restaurant trade for 12 years in my younger years (college trained) I've always noticed that the large and funded start-ups tend to go for unique and dare I say slightly obscure business names. Today their looking for a unique key word and far more likely to prefer the CCTLD. Of course the Global brands aren't going to settle for anything less than the .com.

I wasted a lot of money when .biz came out, thinking businesses would latch on to this extension. kept a few good ones for far too long. never had even a low xxx bite. and I was buying when availability was good. today nobody wants them. The few exceptions being businesses that launched on the .biz and couldn't be asked or bothered to change. to my mind it's a small demonstration that the restaurant trade don't really care about domain Extensions so long as it resolves to some nice pics, and the menu.

Lets face it, around 90% of the Restaurant trade is repeat business. They're hardly aiming for page-rank unless they are a tourist establishment

Last edited:
•••
OK. So if I'm getting this right .Biz is now the new wining extension in your new search for partnerships but this time in the food services businesses.

I find it strange that you latch on to different extensions because they apparently fit your ideal pairing by quoting a few examples in use. Having worked in the catering and restaurant trade for 12 years in my younger years (college trained) I've always noticed that the large and funded start-ups tend to go for unique and dare I say slightly obscure business names. Today their looking for a unique key word and far more likely to prefer the CCTLD. Of course the Global brands aren't going to settle for anything less than the .com.

I wasted a lot of money when .biz came out, thinking businesses would latch on to this extension. kept a few good ones for far too long. never had even a low xxx bite. and I was buying when availability was good. today nobody wants them. The few exceptions being businesses that launched on the .biz and couldn't be asked or bothered to change. to my mind it's a small demonstration that the restaurant trade don't really care about domain Extensions so long as it resolves to some nice pics, and the menu.

Lets face it, around 90% of the Restaurant trade is repeat business. They're hardly aiming for page-rank unless they are a tourist establishment
No Bailey...... .biz is not my new "go to" extension. However, the new niche as this thread is titled involves restaurant and food services domains. .biz only came up while I was waiting to pick up my order at the Carib Shack and I just happened to notice their domain was CaribShack.biz ...... and while waiting for my order i checked to see who might be using CaribShack.com and I learned that it was for sale @ DAN for $9,300.

Learning that the Carib Shack had been featured on the Food Networks show "Diners - Drive-Ins and Dives" hosted by Guy Fieri, i thought this "restaurant and food service" niche deserved my attention.

So to put your mind at ease, since learning about this 10 days ago I've registered nothing but .com(s) most of which I've shared on this thread.

Also as a result of starting this thread I ran into a domain friend I made here on NP back in 2019, Rory Ivey who owns GotBrands.com. Bailey etal, Got Brands features over 500 "Food and Drink" domains of which 90% are .com(s), most of which are for sale @ Squadhelp using out of sight landers.

I needn't share anymore Bailey, but I just wanted to set the record straight. The only .biz domain I own is HolyGuacamole.biz and you can read in a previous post why I own that.

Thanks for sharing, and maybe "Fresh Overnight.com" can ship some of my "Oyster Rocks.com" across the pond someday:xf.wink:

•••
No Bailey...... .biz is not my new "go to" extension. However, the new niche as this thread is titled involves restaurant and food services domains. .biz only came up while I was waiting to pick up my order at the Carib Shack and I just happened to notice their domain was CaribShack.biz ...... and while waiting for my order i checked to see who might be using CaribShack.com and I learned that it was for sale @ DAN for $9,300.

Learning that the Carib Shack had been featured on the Food Networks show "Diners - Drive-Ins and Dives" hosted by Guy Fieri, i thought this "restaurant and food service" niche deserved my attention.

So to put your mind at ease, since learning about this 10 days ago I've registered nothing but .com(s) most of which I've shared on this thread.

Also as a result of starting this thread I ran into a domain friend I made here on NP back in 2019, Rory Ivey who owns GotBrands.com. Bailey etal, Got Brands features over 500 "Food and Drink" domains of which 90% are .com(s), most of which are for sale @ Squadhelp using out of sight landers.

I needn't share anymore Bailey, but I just wanted to set the record straight. The only .biz domain I own is HolyGuacamole.biz and you can read in a previous post why I own that.

Thanks for sharing, and maybe "Fresh Overnight.com" can ship some of my "Oyster Rocks.com" across the pond someday:xf.wink:
Rich, why is it that you only purchase newly hand-registered domain names?

•••
Rich, why is it that you only purchase newly hand-registered domain names?
Actually I've paid as much as $500 for a domain. That's how much I paid for UsUnited.com, and I've paid about a hundred dollars each for names likes of ProIrons.com, Equaty.com and QualityJade.com.

Granted, most of my domains are hand regs that have recently dropped, but had been registered for as long as 20 years prior to me buying them. I view myself as being somewhat of a visionary and pretty creative, and i own some names that have considerable value "if only" I'm able to get them the exposure they deserve. I thought I'd sold VisitingHero.com last week for $800, but the buyer never followed through with the offer that came to me via Go Daddy.

Regardless, as I've said; "if it's to be, it's up to me", even if that means finding a partner. Joe, i know you tried to help me with the .Link adventure for which I'm very appreciative. Our effort only proved that few if any domains sell themselves:xf.cry:

•••
Actually I've paid as much as $500 for a domain. That's how much I paid for UsUnited.com, and I've paid about a hundred dollars each for names likes of ProIrons.com, Equaty.com and QualityJade.com.

Granted, most of my domains are hand regs that have recently dropped, but had been registered for as long as 20 years prior to me buying them. I view myself as being somewhat of a visionary and pretty creative, and i own some names that have considerable value "if only" I'm able to get them the exposure they deserve. I thought I'd sold VisitingHero.com last week for $800, but the buyer never followed through with the offer that came to me via Go Daddy.

Regardless, as I've said; "if it's to be, it's up to me", even if that means finding a partner. Joe, i know you tried to help me with the .Link adventure for which I'm very appreciative. Our effort only proved that few if any domains sell themselves:xf.cry:
Those are solid domains; I like them. I think if you focus on acquring only domains of a similar quality, you might find that you have an easier time improving your sell-through rate.

One of your strengths seems to be a willingness to make connections. However, I think that those connections aren't producing fruitful results because the domains you're offering are not in short supply (i.e. it's easy to acquire similar ones for a lower cost).

If you were to combine your connection skills with higher quality names and really competitive prices (i.e. lower than typical end user market prices), then you might start seeing much better sell-through rates than the 1-2% industry average that most of us passive sellers experience.

•••
Those are solid domains; I like them. I think if you focus on acquring only domains of a similar quality, you might find that you have an easier time improving your sell-through rate.

One of your strengths seems to be a willingness to make connections. However, I think that those connections aren't producing fruitful results because the domains you're offering are not in short supply (i.e. it's easy to acquire similar ones for a lower cost).

If you were to combine your connection skills with higher quality names and really competitive prices (i.e. lower than typical end user market prices), then you might start seeing much better sell-through rates than the 1-2% industry average that most of us passive sellers experience.
Joe, as you would expect I just made a personal connection with Mifuru, the guy from Ukraine. I'm really not sure what you mean about domains like Collectrust.com or FreshOvernight.com (both hand reg's) being "not in short supply" or "easily acquired at a lower cost"? Both of these domains (lets refer to them as horses) have the real potential to generate millions of dollars in revenues with the right owner and the right "Jockey" riding them.

Maybe in another life i may have made a few bucks following the standard domain rules, but when you have the kind of experience I've had, you just know there has to be a better/smarter way.

Thanks Joe for taking me under your wing. I thought I'd have this all figured out by now, but determination is my middle name:xf.wink:

•••
Joe, as you would expect I just made a personal connection with Mifuru, the guy from Ukraine. I'm really not sure what you mean about domains like Collectrust.com or FreshOvernight.com (both hand reg's) being "not in short supply" or "easily acquired at a lower cost"? Both of these domains (lets refer to them as horses) have the real potential to generate millions of dollars in revenues with the right owner and the right "Jockey" riding them.

Maybe in another life i may have made a few bucks following the standard domain rules, but when you have the kind of experience I've had, you just know there has to be a better/smarter way.

Thanks Joe for taking me under your wing. I thought I'd have this all figured out by now, but determination is my middle name:xf.wink:
FreshOvernight is a neat hand reg, and I agree that businesses built on those names could have wonderful potential. I think the tricky part is in finding the person or business that would want to pay you for those exact domain names.

I know you're a skilled salesman, and I think that even you have discovered in the last few years how challenging it is to generate real interest in a domain that has potential. That challenge is multiplied if there are no existing businesses that use that exact name in a different extension, or as part of their existing brand/slogan.

•••
FreshOvernight is a neat hand reg, and I agree that businesses built on those names could have wonderful potential. I think the tricky part is in finding the person or business that would want to pay you for those exact domain names.

I know you're a skilled salesman, and I think that even you have discovered in the last few years how challenging it is to generate real interest in a domain that has potential. That challenge is multiplied if there are no existing businesses that use that exact name in a different extension, or as part of their existing brand/slogan.
Joe....lets just take the business named "Fresh Overnight". While I didn't realize it at first, this is a name/domain that fits neatly into this thread. While I've experienced receiving fresh fruit and fresh seafood overnight from Florida (oranges and grapefruit) and Maine (fresh Lobster), i know there are other things like fresh baked goods that can be made today and shipped overnight anywhere in the world.

However, great ideas like this are a dime a dozen. Although I may be a skilled salesman, I'll continue to seek a skilled technical partner who can aid and assist me in getting the word out.

I have to run.....tee time out of town, but I'd like to continue this conversation with you. Thanks!

•••
However, great ideas like this are a dime a dozen.
Yep, ideas are a dime a dozen. That is why you need to bring more to the table.

For instance, with super high quality domains it would be much easier to find a partner.

Although I may be a skilled salesman, I'll continue to seek a skilled technical partner who can aid and assist me in getting the word out.
It sounds like you are looking more for a miracle worker than technical partner.

You can be the best salesman in the world, but with a product that isn't in demand you can only do so much.

You have been talking about registration binges, outbound plans, and technical partners for years now.

What is stopping you from outbounding?

It seems like your entire business model requires finding some unicorn to make it work.

If someone is really that skilled, they don't need anyone's help to sell domains.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
To illustrate this further, I was talking to a friend who owns a restaurant locally.

They have been tracking their business name in .COM for quite some time. It finally expired and was up at GoDaddy auctions.

This was not a great term, but still the name of their company where they have tracked the domain status for a few years. I asked them their budget. $50. :facepalm:

The price of (1) entrée on the menu is not much less.

Brad
did they get the domain?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Article - CA cannabis cafes bill passes (Newsletter: September 11, 2023 @ Marijuana Moment

CannabisCafe.io

Cheers
Corey

Last edited:
•••
Article - CA cannabis cafes bill passes (Newsletter: September 11, 2023 @

CannabisCafe.io

Cheers
Corey
That was timely Corey......DoobieCafe:xf.wink:com Thanks!

•••
You certainly seem able to generate discussions that get lots of comments, @ThatNameGuy ! I think restaurants, in the broadest sense including fast food to chains to mobile outlets to fine dining, is a topic worthy of discussion,

There has already been mention of this, but I think that the pandemic has essentially altered the business. It seems around here at least that both high and low end outlets do a much higher percentage of their total business via delivery, and that might mean that the importance of a memorable domain name, and a good name overall, is more important.

The second thought I had, spurred by the comments made earlier about the low name budget many restaurants seem to have, was whether one way to view this niche might be not to hold a lot of name inventory, but rather someone set up a naming 'fee for service for small local businesses. For example, a restaurant startup pays $75 per hour (or something that order) for a couple of hours in which someone would brainstorm possible names in their price range, and briefly outline advantages of each. SquadHelp contests sort of do this with a larger pool of creative minds and ideas, and same price range, but they don't have the advantage of a local person the startup owner can speak to face to face. If I was x years younger, and looking for a job, I might give the idea a try. But I am not :oops:.

Thanks for starting the topic, and everyone who commented.

-Bob

PS I mean to give a shoutout to @NickB for these great lists:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/new-niche-binge-restaurant-and-food-services.1309215/post-8999250

Last edited:
•••
You certainly seem able to generate discussions that get lots of comments, @ThatNameGuy ! I think restaurants, in the broadest sense including fast food to chains to mobile outlets to fine dining, is a topic worthy of discussion,

There has already been mention of this, but I think that the pandemic has essentially altered the business. It seems around here at least that both high and low end outlets do a much higher percentage of their total business via delivery, and that might mean that the importance of a memorable domain name, and a good name overall, is more important.

The second thought I had, spurred by the comments made earlier about the low name budget many restaurants seem to have, was whether one way to view this niche might be not to hold a lot of name inventory, but rather someone set up a naming 'fee for service for small local businesses. For example, a restaurant startup pays $75 per hour (or something that order) for a couple of hours in which someone would brainstorm possible names in their price range, and briefly outline advantages of each. SquadHelp contests sort of do this with a larger pool of creative minds and ideas, and same price range, but they don't have the advantage of a local person the startup owner can speak to face to face. If I was x years younger, and looking for a job, I might give the idea a try. But I am not :oops:.

Thanks for starting the topic, and everyone who commented.

-Bob

PS I mean to give a shoutout to @NickB for these great lists:
Thanks Bob, and I'd like to thank NickB as well. You're right about the pandemic impacting so many things in our lives.....take my idea for 9Time, the new golf game i created because traditonal golf was too expensive, takes too long and is difficult to play. Prior to Covid, golf courses were closing all over the world but since Covid golf, because it's played outdoors, became popular again and you could hardly get a tee time. That said however, the USGA was promoting "just play 9" and owned the domain Play9.org which they didn't renew, so guess who owns it now:xf.wink: This is because traditional golf it still too expensive, it takes too long and it's hard as shit.

Moving on to restaurants and food services. You have a fantastic idea Bob, but unfortunately like you "x years younger" involves me as well.

That said however, just last week I met with Bo, the owner of BoBosFineChicken.com. Bo a young man of 32 years started his business 6 years ago in 2017 and he mirrored his business after Chick-fil-a. Bo after getting a business degree from a prestigious college worked in the restaurant industry in New York and actually went through the Chick-fil-a management program before he moved back to Virginia Beach to open his restaurant.

He had been in business just a little more than 2 years when Covid hit and like Chic-fil-a he happened to have a drive thru. Despite barely making it before Covid, he was actually making more $$$ with just his drive thru than with his dining room and drive thru combined:xf.rolleyes: He's since re-opened his dining room about a year ago, but has regrets. He was looking to open a second location on the other side of town, but he's holding off for good reason.

So why was I meeting with Bo? Not to sell him another domain for his business....he already had one that worked just fine. However, even prior to Covid I wanted Bo to try making what I would consider "Killer Wings". btw, the domain KillerWings.com would be a great name, but I registered BoBoWings.com and BoBosWings.com in the hope I could talk Bo into making a variety of "killer wings".

Regardless, "if" Bo were to accept my challenge a drive thru only Wings business would be the way to go. It's my desire for killer wings and Covid that's made all this possible.

Thanks Bob....U-Da-Man:xf.wink:.com

ps. i may have some folks working with me to develop FreshOvernight.com.....that is if you like fresh Lobster or any other seafood delivered fresh overnight.

•••
drive through fast food GIF

Fast food:
"Who is fast will get some food" :ROFL:

p.s.
fastfood redirect to lovefastfood it's crazy, as for me
logo for fastfood only
1694689779064.png

1694689943506.png

Last edited:
•••
I have visited recently with friends a new local restaurant, they did not have a website, there was a QR code to leave feedback.
Then I searched and found their social media pages. I wanted to see what each order looks like, because the menu is just text and was confused on what to order, so to see what you order is a must in my opinion.

•••
I have visited recently with friends a new local restaurant, they did not have a website, there was a QR code to leave feedback.
Then I searched and found their social media pages. I wanted to see what each order looks like, because the menu is just text and was confused on what to order, so to see what you order is a must in my opinion.
Couldn't they have pic's of what you're ordering on their social media (Facebook) page? Go to CaribShack.biz and you'll see their website with pic's of all their dishes. Then go to (Google) the Carib Shack Virginia Beach Facebook page where you'll see they refer to CaribShack.us (that forwards to CaribShack.biz).

What is a QR code? Is that like a bar code or maybe a means to text a message for feedback? I agree, not being able to see what you're ordering is a bummer.

•••
What is a QR code? Is that like a bar code or maybe a means to text a message for feedback? I agree, not being able to see what you're ordering is a bummer.
It's a type of bar code you can use to send people to a destination. It often goes directly to website, menu, product page, etc. It looks like a square box.

The problem is many people have no idea how to use them or have devices that don't easily support them.

I have seen them used on billboards along the highways, with no other contract info.

I am not sure what they expect people to do...pull out their phone and scan the QR code on a billboard while they are driving. Sounds safe.

I saw them in use at Cabela's in order to get in line, and many people were having problems using the system.

It's better to have it as an option, not the only option.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It's a type of bar code you can use to send people to a destination. It often goes directly to website, menu, product page, etc. It looks like a square box.

The problem is many people have no idea how to use them or have devices that don't easily support them.

I have seen them used on billboards along the highways, with no other contract info.

I am not sure what they expect people to do...pull out their phone and scan the QR code on a billboard while they are driving. Sounds safe.

I saw them in use at Cabela's in order to get in line, and many people were having problems using the system.

It's better to have it as an option, not the only option.

Brad
Got to say if I'm sitting down in a busy pub or restaurant and I don't want to queue up and there is a QR code on the table I'll put my order through that way - might be getting lazy as I get older, but it does save standing at the bar for ages waiting for those drinks......

Had to check - but QR Food.com is a developed site selling it as a service......

•••
Got to say if I'm sitting down in a busy pub or restaurant and I don't want to queue up and there is a QR code on the table I'll put my order through that way - might be getting lazy as I get older, but it does save standing at the bar for ages waiting for those drinks......

Had to check - but QR Food.com is a developed site selling it as a service......
Yeah, but then there are people who have no idea how to use them.

I think it is fine as an option.

But it can quickly turn into a pain if it is the only option.

All of a sudden the workers at the restaurant become tech support. :ROFL:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
I created one that goes to this thread.

QR.jpg

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back