Dynadot

New member question about listing on multiple sites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

J Sokol

Top Member
Impact
Here's a question from a two-month old domainer and new member to NamePros:

I've seen a fair amount of discussion about listing domains on multiple sites. Do you have to register the domain at each site in order to list it for sale? I didn't think a domain could be listed with more than one registrar.

Thanks, and I've sure appreciated all the great tips and information on this site.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, you would list the domain at each auction/sales listing site. It is only registered at one place, where you either bought it from or had it transferred into.

You're just mixing up the terms registered and listed.

If you do list at multiple sites, the typical advice is to only set a buy-it-now price at one of them and make the rest 'make offer'. This would prevent a domain selling at 2 or more sites at once. I personally don't have any names that are going to get multiple purchases within hours of each other on different sites. The odds would be incredibly against it happening. If it did, it's probably a good day to buy lottery tickets as well. The only time it has happened to me is when the same person tried to buy it at multiple places because they were impatient.

•••
Thanks, SuperDude. I'm asking this because I've just opened an account with Uniregistry and I'm trying to list some domains there that I already have listed with GoDaddy. But after I type in the domain names, my only option is to click on a button that says Transfer. I don't see any way to list a domain without transferring it.
Suggestions?

•••
registering a domain and listing a domain for sale are two different words.
you register a domain to acquire it, and you list a domain for sale, usually you need to verify ownership of the already registered domain either via meta tags/cname, or your domain whois

•••
Thanks, SuperDude. I'm asking this because I've just opened an account with Uniregistry and I'm trying to list some domains there that I already have listed with GoDaddy. But after I type in the domain names, my only option is to click on a button that says Transfer. I don't see any way to list a domain without transferring it.
Suggestions?
No, I don't. But someone will be able to give you Uniregistry specifics. I have a vast majority of my domains registered at GoDaddy. Then I list them on Afternic, Sedo, Godaddy, and my own Efty site. Those four give me pretty good coverage of people looking for a name. Even though I've read a lot of success stories with other sites, I don't want to manage even more options.

•••
I would just like to reinforce some things already said, and add a couple:
(a) It is important to get your names in front of eyes, so do list at as many marketplaces as you feel comfortable with.
(b) Do look at the commissions and other requirements though, and you may decide some venues are not good for certain names (i.e. if the name is anticipated selling for only say $120 make sure you are not paying half or more in fees).
(c) Make sure that you only have it with a Buy it Now price at one location, and all other are Make Offer. Otherwise it is possible it could sell twice simultaneously and you are in business/legal trouble. Odds are low, but still...
(d) In addition to the venues mentioned already, I would recommend Undeveloped. They have great landers, reasonable commissions and are very responsive.
(e) When your name sells, don't forget to take it down everywhere. More often than you would think I find names that are long sold still listed. This is unprofessional and can make someone upset.
(f) After a domain name has been registered or transferred in general it can't be transferred again for 60 days normally. I know some on NPs list them right away, but for me I don't list at the standard marketplaces until the 60 days are up, since if it sold but could not be transferred right away not good. You could list it as offer on say your own Efty, but make it clear it is only available to push at the existing registrar to the new owner. During the 60 day period you can list it on a registrar Marketplace if they have one (e.g. NameSilo and Namecheap do), since a sale there is automatically handled as a push to the new owner's account at the same registrar.
(g) Afternic has a huge premium network, but to be listed there depends on both what extension it is and where it is registered. If you want Afternic premium coverage choose a registrar that supports that. You can find the list on Afternic site.
Good luck with selling your domains!

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for all your comments -- they clear up some of my questions.

•••
I'm asking this because I've just opened an account with Uniregistry and I'm trying to list some domains there
After the transfer menu is the market menu. Click on it, from the sub menus click Add.

You will see where to add as many domains as you wish no matter where you registered it. Follow the direction till you click finish.

•••
Okay, I found it. Thanks.

•••
for multiple site selling, do they have to forward dns to multiple sites one after another (if who.id database is hidden) ?

•••
for multiple site selling, do they have to forward dns to multiple sites one after another (if who.id database is hidden) ?

You can only set the DNS to forward one place. You should consider carefully where you want that to be considering lander quality, where BIN is, and other factors. You can easily change DNS to another location if you change your mind.

•••
bought a domain from nameselo. created 'make an offer' landing page on nameselo (dns forwarded to nameselo's landing page.)

now, I want to list
on godaddyy for bin,
on sedo and idomaini for make an offer.

but when these 3 sites ask for ownership verification by editing name server, I lose my landing page on nameselo.
my who is info is hidden.

please share your knowledge, thanks

•••
bought a domain from nameselo. created 'make an offer' landing page on nameselo (dns forwarded to nameselo's landing page.)

now, I want to list
on godaddyy for bin,
on sedo and idomaini for make an offer.

but when these 3 sites ask for ownership verification by editing name server, I lose my landing page on nameselo.
my who is info is hidden.

please share your knowledge, thanks
You change the DNS server to your choice of landing page (I use efty).

Then you add txt records that the aftermarket check to confirm ownership. Setting the DNS to your lander does not stop you from modifying txt records. It isn't mutually exclusive.

•••
After changing text record, if it is verified then can I remove that text record for another site's verification?

•••
Or add multiples. I tend to leave them.

After changing text record, if it is verified then can I remove that text record for another site's verification?

•••
You change the DNS server to your choice of landing page (I use efty).

Then you add txt records that the aftermarket check to confirm ownership. Setting the DNS to your lander does not stop you from modifying txt records. It isn't mutually exclusive.

Late inquiry. But I can't figure this out. Once I've switched DNS to Efty (using NameCheap), I don't have option to add TXT records at registrar anymore. And I don't see where you can do this (add txt records) within the Efty system. What am I missing?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back