Domain Empire

New gTLDs Super Premium Domains Value

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr.Natwarlal

Grow with usTop Member
Impact
While surfing,

I found that many super premium (at least in com) domains are available.. such as 123.gtls etc..

Is there any value for such domains? at least double than regfee? (assuming regfee is $100)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domainers don't set the value of domains in a new gTLD. Usage and development by end users set value. At the moment, web usage and development is low and all new gTLDs are in their first year of operation. If end users (rather than big name companies) don't develop websites, then the future for some of these new gTLDs is not exactly bright.

Regards...jmcc
This is the most sound point. You are correct, the end user sets the value and demand. So far it's still the originals. Like I said originally and I still haven't heard a good argument as to why a small business will pay xxx or xxxx for a domain when they get a $.99 dot com. There are still millions of GREAT .com available. Some of which are dropping and others that haven't even been discovered. It's really interesting.

•••
it was an example. A bad example, but the point is still the same. Its about 1) the affinity the the extension and 2) availability. Familypub.com is taken whereas family.pub may be available (and usually is at the moment).

Of course its not expensive compared to trying to buy the dotcom of somebody (usually).

What you also have to factor in is what will Google do. Will it see "Family Pub" or will it just see "Family"? From my own (albeit amateur) testing it does see the extensions as a keyword which in itself (if proven correct) can really make one of the new gtlds valuable.

Also, if you just rely on internet traffic (facebook/google etc) then you dont have to educate anybody.
Google is starting their own .google....my thought is they will give them away for free. That will be a shake up to the domain industry and then why would anyone need to "buy" a domain anymore if google buys up the registries and gives the domains for free. They've done it with email. Look out!

•••
The company I work for has the initials GM. Not General Motors. I am sure there are hundreds, thousands, of companies worldwide also with the initials of GM that would like to have a short domain that is relevant to their niche. You can't just assume that just because it doesn't make sense for one company it wouldn't make sense for hundreds of other potential end users. Now, I could offer GM fifty billion dollars for 'gm.com' or I could pick up an alternative for a couple hundred. Or fifty. Or twenty-two ninety-five.... I will say that .xyz in my opinion is a terrible extension for business names, but that does not preclude finding a decent extension as an alternative.
GeneralMotors.com and GM.com forward to GM.com. The point is the largest companies in the world set the bar for the value. Everything else flows down. Fortune 500 companies drive the stock market, etc...it's not whether a smaller business can find a good name...it's what is the best investment and will these big companies switch to newer tlds. Unless the consumer demands it, I don't see them changing in the next 20+ years. Unless someone can give me a compelling reason, I still think a .com is a better investment ROI at $.99 for the first year. Hey, companies like google may even give them away for free in the future!

•••
your post is frozen in time. the tired lame O.co example...

well, people tried youtube before youtube... it failed, so lets just call it a day eh..

they're probably not good investments for domainers. they're not for you. they're to take domainers out of the equation.. and when is the last time you visited GE.com seriously man.. in nearly 20 years of being on the internet i just visited it for the first time right now to see what it was..

yea sure, you have to "educate" them... they're going to have to take college course to realize family.pub is a domain name and you are personally responsible for their tuition... or you could just put "www." in front of it

you remember .com - great.. so i guess that means you remember every website in the world... if you saw milwaukeestreetfamilypub.com and 5 other domains one hour you'd remember them just because there is .com in there.... your brain magically remember the other 4 words too right? wrong. people forget domain names all the time and they use the google to remind them..

the "people only remember .com" thing is gonna look ridiculous in time..
It is about branding..but the point is the new gtld did not hold water for overstock's branding. GE is about branding. GE owns GeneralElectric.com as well. That's where creativity comes into play. Instead of linear thinking, it inspires companies to come up with a cool .com. There are still a billion+ combinations available that are memorable. The possibilities are limitless with .com still. And at $.99 for the first year, it's a steal. That is, until google or some other big company starts giving them away ;) That may change the whole industry.
Do you have research on type in versus using google to find company names? I would be curious to learn how many actually type in. I sure do when I go to a company. And I'm part of the X/Y generation. Maybe I'm just part of the new generation though? Google is too tough, I want a search engine that brings me what I want...I'm tired of finding and searching for stuff. That to me is too much work. LOL

•••
the keyword here is "availability". You very well may own ABC Ltd, but that does not mean you will be able to acquire ABC.com so depending on your line of business ABC.plumbers may be the next (and more affordable) domain (provided ABCPlumbers.com is also not available to reg or buy).

Its all very well saying .com is the best choice, but sometimes its not even a choice.
It's a choice if companies would use their brain to think of something creative. Companies own multiple domains...but I would venture to say it will always fall back to the .com. Even if they go with another gtld..they still want the .com. At least now, unless someone can give me a compelling reason why the consumer would demand anything else?

•••
Even if they go with another gtld..they still want the .com.

And many .com owners register the .net .org .newgtlds as defensive regs, so what.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back