Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Many call it New G's
Many call it Not-Com's
Many call it Non-Com's
Many call it New GTLD's

Can we come to some sort of consensus on this issue? What should the new domain extensions be called?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • Bad idea
  • Spam
  • Snake oil
  • Extortion scheme
  • Losing money
  • Failures
  • What are those?
  • Consumer/customer confusion
  • Why isn't email working?
  • Who wants these?
  • Is that an extension?
  • Why???
:)

Last edited:
•••
  • Bad idea
  • Snake oil
  • Extortion scheme
  • Losing money
  • Failures
  • What are those?
  • Consumer/customer confusion
  • Why isn't email working?
  • Who wants these?
  • Is that an extension?
  • Why???
:)

I sure put that on a tee for you..:xf.grin:

•••
•••
ngTLD gets my vote

and I would propose ogTLD for the original gangsta TLDs to make it more clear : wink :

•••
New generation domain names.

•••
ngTLD gets my vote

and I would propose ogTLD for the original gangsta TLDs to make it more clear : wink :

Google was not the first search engine. There was Gopher, Altavista search engines..

old school gtld..not a bad name for .com :xf.wink:

•••
Clearly, we are still far away from reaching a consensus, but we are making progress....:xf.smile:

•••
G's, or new g's get my vote. Been using that term for a long time.

Don't like the not-com or non-com, don't even see a need for that one. I guess because it's not going anywhere.

•••
I agree with you mad409. I was thinking along those lines...Most, or rather some, of the registry's seem to be using Non-com and Not-com in their marketing material. However, the majority of people seem to go with other terminology.......Very similar to the Drone industry. Some call them "UAV's", while most of the people call them "drones"....

•••
I call it the "Dot Revolution"

There will be a time for for "dot" millionaires not "dot com" millionaires !

~ nothing stays the same forever

•••
'Dot revolution' millionaires? Registrars.

To answer OP question, at domain trade shows I think when speaking, new g's is most commonly used.

Last edited:
•••
Fools.Gold

Hmmm - I wonder if that is registered. :)

•••
•••
The real fools gold is gold.blog - $120k/ year - It will bankrupt you and never every sell or help you sell anything.

Last edited:
•••
Well .. "not-com" and "new Gs" are two overlapping but different categories.

.net and .org are non-com.
.co and .tv are actually more new G than ccTLD
.bank .autos .vet and even .shop are not gTLDs

gTLDs should be general "generic" broad category stuff like .biz .web .co .com

Target use TLDs like .blog .dentist .autos aren't even real G's in my opinion they are more "Niche" TLD's .. but if you say nTLD people will think you're talking about "New" TLD's .. lol .. it's a mess!

Anyhow .. maybe that's for the best .. because at the end of the day I'm not for or against the new TLD's .. I look at them one by one .. not only that, but then also judge the left of dot to see if it makes sense with the right of dot. At this point out of a few hundred domains I have 1x .news, 1x .life, 1x .sexy and 1x .work .. none of those with premium renewals.

One huge problem I have with them however is due to the short-sightedness of ICANN's allowing of plural and duplicate meaning TLDs ... have all four .car .cars .auto and .autos is just inviting confusion. What's more .. what's stopping them from rolling out similar competing newTLD to current ones in the future? Like if you've paid $1000 for a premium .blog .. what happens to the value of that domain if they ever come out with a .blogs?

Similar to how although technically not a "new generic", I've avoided .io because I think .app is going to hurt it when it comes out.

Because of that and the ridiculously priced premiums, I find myself actually grabbing super-premium (left-of-dot) old-school-newTLDs ... stuff like actor.biz, binary.cc, decibel.co and outbreak.info

•••
I like the concept of niche TLDs - I'll promote them to surfers with that description. I agree that .coms are streets ahead for serious sites, and virtually all of my names are .coms. I've got a few .nets that I think I might sell, and some xyz names for feeder sites - I liked the idea of a descriptive key phrase name for under a dollar. It's too early to see any results from my two experiments nolonger.in ( not developed) and English.Gold ( just starting). I'm quite pleased with the gold one, and I've just put it into my analytics account. I'd consider .gold to be one of the better niche TLDs, especially in these days of impending economic gloom. It was ( relatively ) expensive at $40, and I hope the registry won't debase the TLD in the future.

•••
I've got a few .nets that I think I might sell ...

I have a few as well ... oddly enough I predict .net will (if it hasn't already) shift from relatively a generic/general
TLD to it's original purpose in being used primarily by tech/internet companies. Word on the street is that .net is really softening. In all honesty, at this point in terms of investment value, I'm going with .co ahead of .net as in the very near future I see .co being a better "generic" choice for non-tech companies than .net. More importantly, they are a much cheaper to get than .net.

Don't get me wrong though internet/tech is still a massive market .. combine that with .net's existing footprint and it will still be one of the better TLD's for a long time to come. But if you already paid big $$$ for some, then there's a very good chance you'll be left holding the bag when all the dust settles.

I noticed a huge number of short .net's drop a few days ago .. I'm thinking all those "China" investors and speculators who assumed the old ".net is always worth 5-10% of .com" was still true ... and while .com is still super strong compared to all the new TLD's, I think .net will definitely lose market share to the new ones as some portion of business owners out there will move from .net to a more descriptive TLD (because .net was never their first choice in the first place .. most really wanted the .com but it just wasn't a possibility).

Again .. don't jump at me for predicting the demise of .net ... lol .. that's not what I'm saying .. I'm just saying it will likely slowly trend downwards relative to the rest of the most successful TLD's. There still are opportunities in .net .. you just need to be careful to remember to focus more on names for tech related end-users.

•••
•••
I usually use "new gTLDs", but sometimes it is shorter just to write "new G's" :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back