Never trust NameJet.com until…

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello and Assalamo Alaikum,

I have been using NameJet for years and never had any issue until the end of last month when I received an email from them stating that:

“We regret to inform you that a domain you recently purchased through a pre-release auction has been cancelled, as allowed by the NameJet Agreement. Unfortunately this domain was listed in error and was not available for sale.All efforts will be made to assure this does not occur again.

As a result, we will be refunding your auction fee within the next few days.”

To make things clear, I won a domain LLL.org through NameJet on Sep 17, 2016 and the above email I received was on Oct 29th, 2016; right after 41 days of winning the domain through an auction.

My card was charged on the same day of winning the auction. However, I responded them with the following message:

“What the hell is this? It’s been more than 1 month since I won the domain and now you are taking it back?? Kindly give the domain back to me or I will make you guys popular in every domain forum and my blog AbdulBasit.com which is widely read among domainers community.”

Their technical support member responded back:

“This domain was listed in error by the seller likely due to a typo in his submission and as such, there is no domain to deliver. You were never delivered the domain in this case due to the error in listing and as such, there is nothing that we can return.

We do apologize for the inconvenience as this is a rare occasion.”

After which I contacted them again and asked to either ban the seller or verify the domain ownerships and listings before making it live for auction for which I didn’t hear anything.

Also I was not delivered the domain during the entire 41 days and I forgot to ask them as well because I buy domains from many different places and sometimes I forget to check and transfer out domains. As many readers of my blog already know that I keep all my domains with Uniregistry and try my best to move all domains which I win at different marketplaces as soon as possible to Uniregistry in order to keep it at one place and that’s easy way to organize and manage my domains.

At first, this ridiculous mistake should not have happened from NameJet.

Secondly, if it happened, why they took 41 days to inform and even more time to refund my money? Hijacking my $1,000 for that many days is not the way of doing business. This amount might not be big for someone but it’s not about the actual figure whether it be $1 or $100,000. How can you hold my funds for over 40 days and come back with lame excuse?

I’m sharing my recent experience with you all to beware using NameJet and don’t think the domain is yours until the name is transferred to your account.

Feel free to give your feedback and share your experiences if you had any like that in past.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sometimes it does happen that seller makes mistake and namejet has to fix it. I don't think so Namejet did anything bad. They are already a very big and authority site in domaining who has nothing to do with 1 domain auction or its amount becauase that is neglegible amount for them.

•••
Sometimes it does happen that seller makes mistake and namejet has to fix it. I don't think so Namejet did anything bad. They are already a very big and authority site in domaining who has nothing to do with 1 domain auction or its amount becauase that is neglegible amount for them.

And how can you justify those 41 days PLUS holding the entire funds for those 41 days?

•••
I am not favoring Namejet.com but they maintain so many buyers and sellers and such issues can happen. With you as buying and selling so many domains we sometimes get confused if its sold or not.

•••
And how can you justify those 41 days PLUS holding the entire funds for those 41 days?

Seems just like an honest mistake, it happens. Overall:

I have been using NameJet for years and never had any issue until the end of last month

You've had a good experience with them. Just roll with it.

•••
I am not favoring Namejet.com but they maintain so many buyers and sellers and such issues can happen. With you as buying and selling so many domains we sometimes get confused if its sold or not.

Rules should be equal for both buyer and seller. If seller doesn't keep up to his words, just kick out and vice versa. But at NameJet, it seems only buyer who fails to make payment gets suspended or ban using their platform.

•••
You are a reputable person in domaining and so Namejet. Shit happens. Just forget it and move forward.

•••

Yes, overall a good experience excluding this one. Doesn't mean I should not make others aware of it ;)

Honest mistake cannot be delayed for 41 days and that too by holding the entire funds!

•••
You are a reputable person in domaining and so Namejet. sh*t happens. Just forget it and move forward.

Yes, no other other than moving forward. But thought to share what I experienced :)
Thanks for your feedback and suggestion :)

•••
I think most people are aware honest mistakes happen. If there was some intentional shadiness going on, then light them up. This isn't the case here.

We all can do better

Also I was not delivered the domain during the entire 41 days and I forgot to ask them as well because I buy domains from many different places and sometimes I forget to check and transfer out domains.

It sucks but dirt off shoulder type stuff.

Last edited:
•••
I think most people are aware honest mistakes happen. If there was some intentional shadiness going on, then light them up. This isn't the case here.

We all can do better

You're taking it the other way. I never meant NJ did intentionally or some shadiness going on there but I needed to share with others because sometimes I have seen people start contacting potential endusers as soon as they win any domain auction and they shouldn't do that... At least after reading what I shared....

After I win any auction, my duty is to make payment which I did and rest is up to NJ to inform/transfer domain and I wouldn't go after each and every auction house and contact them if there is delay of few days. Though in this case the number of days were too much.

I'm sure you would have been feeling the heat suppose if your $10,000 were put on hold for 41 days... Surely the same reaction wouldn't be there from you!

•••
You're taking it the other way. I never meant NJ did intentionally or some shadiness going on there

I know you didn't mean it that way. I said "if there was" And I do agree with you on "verify the domain ownerships" Like I said, we can all do better.

Last edited:
•••
Seems like an honest mistake. Happens. Best to just move on. They came back and refunded your full amount. Beyond not getting a domain (that never existed with them), I can't see what harm was actually done. I do agree that ownership verification can and should be tightened up.

Also I was not delivered the domain during the entire 41 days and I forgot to ask them as well because I buy domains from many different places and sometimes I forget to check and transfer out domains

This seems a little hypocritical. You're allowed to forget and hence not even follow up on something that you paid for and you're accusing them of that mistakes should not happen at all? Sorry, that's unfair.

Secondly, if it happened, why they took 41 days to inform and even more time to refund my money? Hijacking my $1,000 for that many days is not the way of doing business

You're highly exaggerating. I seriously can't see malice by Namejet and "hijacking" is too extreme in this scenario. They did not hold your money hostage and in fact refunded it without any action or initiation by you which is exactly the opposite of hijacking.

I’m sharing my recent experience with you all to beware using NameJet and don’t think the domain is yours until the name is transferred to your account.

This applies literally to every sale. The domain is NOT your's until the name is in your possession (and in some cases, due to legal issues, even after ;) )

I think the whole issue was due to a mistake and Namejet behaved pretty well in this case.

•••
I can't see what harm was actually done.

As I said earlier to another NPer "I'm sure you would have been feeling the heat suppose if your $10,000 were put on hold for 41 days... Surely the same reaction wouldn't be there from you!"

Think again and say that again what you said :-D

•••

This kind of experienced is a nightmare all the way :rage:

•••
Looks like there were mistakes from Namejet...
But thanks for sharing the stuff Abdul

•••
Thanks for sharing Abdul

Even though it could have been a mistake or error, I don't see how they can justify keeping a customers funds for 41 days before realizing there was an error. If this is considered normal by their standards then there is something seriously wrong with their business processes

•••
LLL.org won = SEPTEMBER 17, 2016
CARD CHARGED ON THE SAME DAY THE DOMAIN WON.
RECEIVED EMAIL FROM NAMEJET= OCTOBER 29, 2016:unsure:

"Namejet behaved pretty well in this case":xf.eek:
@anantj :cautious:

Suggestion: millennians startup, this is your opportunity! (y)

Last edited:
•••
As I said earlier to another NPer "I'm sure you would have been feeling the heat suppose if your $10,000 were put on hold for 41 days... Surely the same reaction wouldn't be there from you!"

Inconvenience yes, harm? Not really sure.

•••
This happened to me on another domain marketplace (won't mention). I purchased 2 LLLL .com's. I paid immediately upfront.

Turned out the seller no longer owned the domains on auction. So, the marketplace didn't have up-to-date data.

I got a refund in about a week, but guess what, they only refunded the sales price. They charged me an international payment fee, which they never refunded! How is that fair?

I know a lot of people are saying no big deal and move on, but it's not that simple. I have issues with marketplaces that don't verify domain ownership before selling.

Why?

1. You wasted my time.
2. You held onto my money for nothing.
3. No apology. Just excuses.

You would think by now that this industry would have some technology in place to verify domain ownership prior to collecting the money on an auction.

•••

Forgot about that part. That wouldn't happen with me. I'm pretty organized and if I don't see a domain I won move on over in the usual time (few days), I'm in contact with somebody about it. Even moreso with $10,000 and 41 days. Just part of my daily routine of keeping up with purchases.

Oprah said one of the best gifts we can give ourselves, is the gift of organization. And Oprah wouldn't lie because she loves us all.

And like I said above, do agree with this part - "verify the domain ownerships and listings before making it live for auction"

Last edited:
•••
•••
This happened to me on another domain marketplace (won't mention). I purchased 2 LLLL .com's. I paid immediately upfront.

Turned out the seller no longer owned the domains on auction. So, the marketplace didn't have up-to-date data.

I got a refund in about a week, but guess what, they only refunded the sales price. They charged me an international payment fee, which they never refunded! How is that fair?

I know a lot of people are saying no big deal and move on, but it's not that simple. I have issues with marketplaces that don't verify domain ownership before selling.

Why?

1. You wasted my time.
2. You held onto my money for nothing.
3. No apology. Just excuses.

You would think by now that this industry would have some technology in place to verify domain ownership prior to collecting the money on an auction.

They should have refunded full amount and not have charged international payment fee. Poorly done by them whichever marketplace it was.

Well said - about your 3 points.

•••

I have been using NameJet for years and never had any issue until the end of last month when I received an email from them stating that:

“We regret to inform you that a domain you recently purchased through a pre-release auction has been cancelled, as allowed by the NameJet Agreement. Unfortunately this domain was listed in error and was not available for sale.All efforts will be made to assure this does not occur again.

As a result, we will be refunding your auction fee within the next few days.”

To make things clear, I won a domain LLL.org through NameJet on Sep 17, 2016 and the above email I received was on Oct 29th, 2016; right after 41 days of winning the domain through an auction.

My card was charged on the same day of winning the auction. However, I responded them with the following message:

“What the hell is this? It’s been more than 1 month since I won the domain and now you are taking it back?? Kindly give the domain back to me or I will make you guys popular in every domain forum and my blog AbdulBasit.com which is widely read among domainers community.”

Their technical support member responded back:

“This domain was listed in error by the seller likely due to a typo in his submission and as such, there is no domain to deliver. You were never delivered the domain in this case due to the error in listing and as such, there is nothing that we can return.

We do apologize for the inconvenience as this is a rare occasion.”

After which I contacted them again and asked to either ban the seller or verify the domain ownerships and listings before making it live for auction for which I didn’t hear anything.

Also I was not delivered the domain during the entire 41 days and I forgot to ask them as well because I buy domains from many different places and sometimes I forget to check and transfer out domains. As many readers of my blog already know that I keep all my domains with Uniregistry and try my best to move all domains which I win at different marketplaces as soon as possible to Uniregistry in order to keep it at one place and that’s easy way to organize and manage my domains.

At first, this ridiculous mistake should not have happened from NameJet.

Secondly, if it happened, why they took 41 days to inform and even more time to refund my money? Hijacking my $1,000 for that many days is not the way of doing business. This amount might not be big for someone but it’s not about the actual figure whether it be $1 or $100,000. How can you hold my funds for over 40 days and come back with lame excuse?

Feel free to give your feedback and share your experiences if you had any like that in past.

Thanks!

not had the experience in an auction style scenario but have previously paid to pre register a domain prior to the domain being available but being told later that i obviously hadn't been the first to pre register that domain eg someone pre registered the domain before me and the registrar reimbursed me my pre registration fee

and also had a scenario where i paid the pre registration price for a new gtld and thought yippee but then started to see the .legal gtlds ( which this one was ) and i checked the whois of my pre registered gtld and it was blank and it should have been my details or the details of the person who pre registered the gtld before me but not left blank

so i checked the registrar domain search etc and it was available to buy which it should not have been as i had paid to pre register it so contacted the registrar only to find my pre registration was on their screen etc but had not been put through to be pre registered

fortunately it was still available to buy and the registrar acquired it for me using my pre registration fee etc

but why i even bothered to buy kg at all? Lol

as i let it expire after first year as couldn't find a buyer for if only tks try to re buy it after it had become available to buy at reg fee but to no avail as someone one bought it before me lol

all good fun

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back