NameSilo

NetworkSolutions.com - NEVER USE THEM

Spaceship
Watch
NetworkSolutions.com

I went to networksolutions.com to just search for available domain names yesterday (February, 12, 2008). I noticed 0800Hotels.com went for 17,000 EUR yesterday so I wanted to see if there were any good 0800 names available. I typed in several that were taken but 2 that were not:

0800fly.com
0800Poker.com

I double checked godaddy to make sure they were available and they were. I was at work so I decided I like 0800Poker.com as my first 0800"keyword".com name but I would wait until I got home and I would then register it. Low an behold when I got home and logged on to godaddy, typed in the name, it was gone, along with 0800fly.com. I checked the whois and here it is.

Domain Name: 0800POKER.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS1.RESERVEDDOMAINNAME.COM
Name Server: NS2.RESERVEDDOMAINNAME.COM
Updated Date: 12-feb-2008
Creation Date: 12-feb-2008
Expiration Date: 12-feb-2009

Coincidence, I think not.....hmmm sounds fishy to me. Has anyone else had this problem???

So my solution is to let everyone know about it and to spread the word to never use networksolutions.com, they are theifs.

I can still register the names, but it has to be thru them and I am not registering them for $35/each. If anyone else likes them, more power to ya.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yeah. sorry to hear. this is old news dude. there are threads everywhere on this.

just dont use netsol for anything, including searching. they are literally of no use

•••
•••
This only shows how it is important to be on top on the latest domaining news. The industry is changing so rapidly, so you need to keep up with everything what is happening. In addition to NP, I highly recommend Domaining.com for the latest updates and news.

•••
you can still buy it- for netsols prices!

is 0800 a toll free number thing?

•••
smashfactory said:
is 0800 a toll free number thing?

Toll free in europe (from what I've been told). Not sure how much it is used or if these type of names will ever sell, I am just speculating right now. 0800hotels.com went for a high amount, maybe (as I have been told) because 0800hotels.co.uk is a big website and they wanted to get the .com. I am not sure if it is true or if someone saw .co.uk was taken and they just wanted the name to capitalize on .co.uk's traffic. It is like US 1800 but not used as much as 1800. May never be any value in registering these names. I registered only one, 0800cellular.com. Most of the good ones, if there are good ones, have been registered.

•••
0800cellular is sweet- hold it
i regged several vanity names too- keep it thru this year as mobile/internet use increases- just hold it :)

•••
There is a whole thread about Network Solutions and their disgraceful practices - people have been typing in rubbish names like MyEbaySite etc... just so that NS will reigster them and Ebay will start lawsuits aginst them (hopefully) they must have millions by now

Intereting stuff about 0800 though, yes here in the UK 0800 is the freephone number so maybe 0800 sites will become popular

•••
smashfactory said:
0800cellular is sweet- hold it
i regged several vanity names too- keep it thru this year as mobile/internet use increases- just hold it :)

Thanks Smashfactory. I thought it could be a good one too. :$:

Last edited:
•••
Do your research elsewhere unless you are prepared to pay them. I don't think anybody else 'holds' them like that for the searcher.
It's their way of keeping IT reserved for you ONLY.

•••
tinner666 said:
Do your research elsewhere unless you are prepared to pay them. I don't think anybody else 'holds' them like that for the searcher.
It's their way of keeping IT reserved for you ONLY.

No, unfortunately NSI doesn't reserve it for just you. Which is ironic considering their argument. Another point in fact, was I was under the impression they had planned to discontinue this service, with all the bad press it had been attracting. Anyone remember that?

•••
I like the multiple search feature it has. Are there other websites that can search for multiple domains at once.

•••
For the heck of it, I checked Network solutions for Nevertrustanakedbusdriver dot com. It was available. I then went to whois.sc and the name was taken by Network Solutions. Guess they still don't worry about the bad press they receive.

•••
First of all, the only blame i can put on network solutions(if any) is that you did a search, and sooner or later, they regged the name you searched. It could've been a coincidence. Network solutions can register names too, just like all of us here, and you should've regged the name once you had a chance(and i understand you were at work and what not), but thats not their fault. Also, i think its unfair and big generalization for you to have 1 issue with a company(NEtwork solutions in this case) and then you come on NP and start telling everyone you can (using this thread) to tell them not to use them again. you're killing their biz when it might be an isolated incident or and just a problem with you and them. If you don't like em, leave em. i just think you are destroying their reputation a bit more than it probably warrants.

•••
They are distroying their own reputation. All they are doing is attempting to make money off other peoples ideas. That is wrong. All they have to do is say on their front page "We will register your domain name choice before you can, then we will sell it to you for an inflated price. Thank you"

•••
Lets all do a random search today and compare

•••
domi said:
Lets all do a random search today and compare
That may not be such a bad idea.....One day, get all 82k+ NP members (OK, not going to happen, but it's the thought that counts :p) to do one or two names. Wait a few days, and then we start again. See how long they keep up the practice with thousands and thousands of daily unpurchased "df23r8hc2hjrf8hqfg9wehrf.com" 's :hehe:

j/k....but you get the point ;)

•••
Found info on their website about this. Please read, answers a lot of questions.

In response to customer concerns about domain names being registered by someone else just after they have conducted a domain name search, Network Solutions is implementing a new security measure to protect our customers.

What is the Customer Protection Measure?
Network Solutions may reserve domain names that are searched on our Web site for up to 4 days. During this period, these domain names will only be available to register at networksolutions.com.

This customer protection measure may be enabled when a customer searches for an available .com domain name at networksolutions.com but decides not to purchase the name immediately after conducting the search.
After the search ends, Network Solutions will put the domain name on reserve. During this reservation period, the name is not active and Network Solutions does not monetize the traffic on these domains.
If a customer searches for the domain again during the next 4 days at networksolutions.com the domain will be available to register.
If the domain name is not purchased within 4 days, it will be released back to the registry and will be available for registration through any registrar.
Domain names searched on the WHOIS search page will NOT be reserved.
This protection measure provides our customers the opportunity to register domains they have previously searched without the fear that the name will be already taken through Front Running.
By holding the searched domains at Network Solutions for a short period, it allows our customers to take the time to decide whether this is the domain name that they really want to register.

So maybe it is ok, but I still don't like. If we don't register them when we have the chance and someone else registers them, too bad for us.

•••
I would check again in a few days (using Moniker or another reputable search engine). I could be wrong but they probably don't hold these names forever.

•••
Scum, they are.

No different than a thug roughing you up in a dark alley - except they are a corporation, so it's okay .

Status quo, I suppose..... big corp. are dirtier than a street thug b/c they have lawyers, top thinkers, etc....

•••
Spade said:
Another point in fact, was I was under the impression they had planned to discontinue this service, with all the bad press it had been attracting. Anyone remember that?
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/10/Network-Solutions-stands-by-name-policy_1.html

Mitchell added that if ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), the organization that oversees the domain name system, would move to cut down on these type of scams, then his company wouldn't have to engage in this kind of automatic search registration. "We would be perfectly happy to end this process if ICANN or the registries would do something to protect small businesses or other small users," he said.
He's been since replaced as CEO, but remains NetSol's Bored...err, Board Chair.

http://newsroom.networksolutions.com/2008/network-solutions-names-w-roy-dunbar-as-ceo/

Network Solutions today announced that Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Champ Mitchell and the Company’s Board of Directors have appointed W. Roy Dunbar to succeed Mr. Mitchell as Chief Executive Officer, and Mr. Mitchell will continue with the Company as Chairman of the Board.
krx said:
I could be wrong but they probably don't hold these names forever.
See etittle52's post above.

•••
having trouble transferring my domains away from them as well

•••
•••
footodors said:
having trouble transferring my domains away from them as well
What happened in your case? I transferred my one remaining domain away a
few months back, and I had no problems.

•••
As mentioned, this is old news. I'm suprised that they are still allowed to do this & nothing has been done! Net Sol sucks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back