IT.COM

Network Solutions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I heard that you can't transfer domains from network solutions to other registrars? Is there anyway to do it? Or do I have to renew them there? How many people really pay $34.99 to register a domain there???

Thanks, Josh

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can transfer your domain to any registrar you please no matter who the registrar is. Some might make it a little hard to do but thats a different story.

•••
NSI has a reputation for making it difficult by denying if you have not crossed every T and dotted every I. Some other registrars (Godaddy.com comes to mind) also have individual TOS policies to make it harder such as cutoff dates before expiration or after ownership or account changes.

Tips:
Read the TOS or their help page on transfers.
Start at least 30 days before expire, more is better.
Unlock the domain before transferring.
Request or get Augh codes well ahead of time.
Don't do ownership, address, or name changes just before transfer requests.
Make sure you transfer using the exact same contact info and email address.
Watch closely for the transfer auth in spam filters (I think lots of registrars add things in this email that will be caught by spam filters and discarded, so that they are easily rejected for no reply).
Transfer to a registrar that does not charge for denied transfers.

•••
you have to initiate the PULL from another registrar like enom, namecheap, dotster......

you start the process from the the current registrar that you want the name to be in.

they will start the process and sent out emails to the address you have in the Old" registrar (make sure it is valid) and you just authorise the transfer!

•••
yeah, i know how to do it, but i heard that network solutions didnt let them go

•••
I have only had one domain registered at Network Solutions and when I transferred out of there it was very quick and easy, a lot easier than some other registrars.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
Tips:
Read the TOS or their help page on transfers.
Start at least 30 days before expire, more is better.
Unlock the domain before transferring.
Request or get Augh codes well ahead of time.
Don't do ownership, address, or name changes just before transfer requests.
Make sure you transfer using the exact same contact info and email address.
Watch closely for the transfer auth in spam filters (I think lots of registrars add things in this email that will be caught by spam filters and discarded, so that they are easily rejected for no reply).
Transfer to a registrar that does not charge for denied transfers.

Great tips! Let me add some:

1. Contact your registrar and ask what email address will the auth email come
from. Once obtained, "whitelist" it in your email address to accept it no matter
what.

2. Transfer to a registrar that won't charge and won't refund you if it fails.

Actually, NetSol has another way to allow you to transfer out. I suggest you
ask them specifically about this aside from receiving their auth email.

•••
Sure you can transfer it out but it will cost you another year.
So if you sell it you have to add that into your selling price or mention it to your buyer which is another hassle. You'll have to mention that they'll have to wait a couple days or longer which could kill the sale also - Then do you front the transfer costs and try to contact them for the sale after it is transferred and hope he/she is still interested?

I think a lot of businesses fall for the network solutions prices when just starting out. I know i did. I remember when I started a business offline, way back when, and the paper work was just finished with the state they were the first to contact me by standard mail. It was very smart on there part to be on top of that. I wasnt a customer very long and now I see that I was ripped off and taken advantage of price wize. But that is how it goes.

•••
jroy said:
How many people really pay $34.99 to register a domain there???

Thanks, Josh

Millions. Many people and companies have never shopped prices since they registered their names years ago. To big corporations, overpaying by $25 on a few names is probably no big deal compared to making a change that could risk their site being down even for an hour if a problem occurred with the name or propagation.

Same reason big companies buy from IBM and other expensive mainstays. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

•••
I have transferred many domains from NSI with no hitches. Everything is automated so as long as you click the transfer authorization link sent to your email, your good to go. One of the easiest to transfer out IMO.

•••
Yep, NetSol is one of my favorite to transfer away from. Very easy to do so, despite their previous reputation for being difficult.

Difficult registrars include register.com, moniker.com, godaddy.com (with their restrictions), and many of the registrars that pool uses.

•••
-RJ- said:
Difficult registrars include register.com, moniker.com, godaddy.com (with their restrictions), and many of the registrars that pool uses.

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, watch out for these baddiesD-: know what you are in for!!

•••
Moniker is a bad one! Just had a bad run it with them. Oh and that domain lock function in their control panel doesn't do a damn thing!

•••
.edu said:
Moniker is a bad one! Just had a bad run it with them. Oh and that domain lock function in their control panel doesn't do a damn thing!

Moniker is known for their strict security settings. If you need help, I can have
the owner PM you and you 2 can talk about it.

Just PM me if you're interested. No cost. :D

jroy said:
How many people really pay $34.99 to register a domain there???

As someone posted, many still do. Check the other registrars and you won't
find one aside from NetSol and Register.com (and a few others) who charge
high but offer 24/7 toll-free phone support.

Go Daddy offers toll phone support, but not toll-free, in case you ask.

•••
Omg You Call That Security? So If I Lock All My Customer's Domains And Not Tell Them That Their Domain Lock Option Is Just For Novelty Purposes, And Have Them Attempt A Bulk Transfer Of Lets Say A Small Portfolio Of 50 Domains And Have Them All Rejected. Now We Have One Big Headache Because All 50 Transfers Were Denied And If Im Lucky My Credit Card Wasnt Charged For The Transfer Fee? Yea Right! You Get Charged Before Transfer And Now You Have To Play Games. So If Do What Moniker Does To My Customers Then My Website Will Be Considered Secure?

•••
Granted, it won't be easy if you're especially dealing with numerous domains.
The key, like most if not all things, is planning ahead.

Have you contacted the owner about this, then? Offer's still open if you need
help. ;)

•••
I was going to respectfully disagree about transferring from GoDaddy, but I realized I was thinking about transferring *to* GoDaddy. I've never actually transferred away from the company. Transferring to them is very easy on their side, though ;)

•••
No need. After about the 2nd failed transfer I know from experience that the registrar was declining the transfer so I sent Steve a very polite email and he removed the real domain lock. The turn around time was decent but could have been better. He really has something great there with DomainSystems. Bob Parsons would be my choice for a registrar but the 60 day GoDaddy rule gets on my nerves. I decided to take my business overseas and am happy with them 110%

•••
redhippo said:
-RJ- said:

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, watch out for these baddiesD-: know what you are in for!!
moniker as well?

•••
Just a little update, I was able to transfer the domain away from network solutions.

Thanks for the help!

-Josh

•••
Moniker seems to be a good registrar overall, but the transferring away process is difficult. They may require a phone call to unlock the domain for transferring. :bah:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back