Dynadot

.net vs .io?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

D D England

Established Member
Impact
I've noticed that .io sells pretty good on Flippa. Is it preferred to .net, .org, & .us?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
check namebio
not flippa

Thank you so much for that! This really gives me insight I really needed on this post! Can't thank you enough!

•••
Sales history means nothing since `.io` TLD has been super popular only in the very recent years, and still is gaining, so by comparing history records it's like checking back 100 years ago and see what sold more, horses or cars. it's not relevant for the present and the tomorrow

•••
NameBio can check sales by date, recent or otherwise, so you can compare relative sales of legacy to newer extensions.

•••
.io has high renewal fees
I prefer .net

•••
I think .io is preferred for technology-related names as it can be interpreted as input/output in computer field.
For other names, .net is preferred.

•••
I will prefer .io because it's short and easy to remember.

•••
•••
.net all the way.

• Available in every mobile keyboard.
  • Historically more recognized.
  • More cheaper to maintain.
734E8FB2-58FE-432B-BFA3-2536301BCDDC.jpeg

•••
.net has no value and future

•••
Tech company always prefer io to net

•••
Using NameBio the 2018YTD figures as of today (e.g. .net data - note that the dataset will change if you access it on a later date):
  • .net 2015 sales, average price $978, sales volume $2.0 million.
  • .io 775 sales, average price $1570, sales volume $1.2 million.
However, to see which is more profitable to hold we must also take into account how many domain names are for sale in each extension, since that helps define the average probability of sale. As far as I know there is not an easy way to get the number for sale worldwide by extension. What is easy to find is the total number of registrations. About 410,000 for .io and about 14 million for .net. One easy number to work out is the sales volume per registered domain, that is about $0.14 for .net and $2.93. So what fraction of registered domain names are for sale? IF say 5% were for sale, you would multiply the above numbers by 20 to see if the annual renewal cost is worth it. For example this would be about $58 for .io, and that is the figure to compare with the renewal and other annual costs. I suspect the ratio is different for the two extensions, however, which complicates things.

As others have mentioned, the renewal rates are also very different. According to TLD-list as of today the best renewal rate on .net is $9.78 while the best renewal on..io is $29.00 (interestingly both at Porkbun).

This is just a probabilistic argument. Obviously better names in either have a higher sales probability and higher projected price. If you can get a good name in either .net or in .io at a price well below projected sales price, I think the data can support it as a good investment.

As others have stated, because of the early big users being in computer code related areas, .io tends to be mainly (not exclusively) used in tech related businesses, whereas .net is much more broadly used, including in NGOs as well as businesses.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
These extensions have nothing in common. A person who would choose a .net would never choose a .io and person who chooses a .io would never choose a .net. To take it one step further a person who chooses a .org would never choose a .net or .io but a person who chooese a .us would probably choose a .net and vice versa.

•••
These extensions have nothing in common. A person who would choose a .net would never choose a .io and person who chooses a .io would never choose a .net. To take it one step further a person who chooses a .org would never choose a .net or .io but a person who chooese a .us would probably choose a .net and vice versa.

I agree with the sentiment expressed by @hookbox and I think it highlights a critical idea - it is true that certain extensions only fit certain end users. I also, in general, agree that .net and .io end users are almost (I would not say completely) mutually exclusive.

I don't agree with "To take it one step further a person who chooses a .org would never choose a .net" however. I can see lots of cases where that might happen. Lets say I have a non-profit that is an umbrella group for citizen scientists (ordinary people who contribute to scientific research through making observations or analysis of data etc.). It certainly fits .org, but if it is primarily an online network I would argue that .net is also a perfect fit..

Bob

ps Has anyone made a document with the most probable end users for some of the more popular extensions? If so can someone share the link here? I know that Wikipedia and the sponsoring registries have a sort of statement, but was looking for a broader independent but not too long list.

Last edited:
•••
.net all the way.

• Available in every mobile keyboard.
  • Historically more recognized.
  • More cheaper to maintain.
Show attachment 101063

Re keyboard - is that from an Android phone? or a localized keyboard? Just asking because for me at least iOS does not show what you pictured so wonder about the "every mobile keyboard"

I do have alternative web browsing apps that show some extensions but not others.

But it is a consideration, I agree.

Thanks for more information re the device it is from.

Bob

•••
.io is preferred by tech, startup companies. Downside - High renewals. There is a demand for single keywords and most of the crypto companies are using .io extension.

.Net is a globally recognized extension and has less renewal fee compare to .io but sales are going down due to nGTLDs.

There is a demand for a single word domains in .net extension as well. I have flipped Shooting.net four months ago

Last edited:
•••
Re keyboard - is that from an Android phone? or a localized keyboard? Just asking because for me at least iOS does not show what you pictured so wonder about the "every mobile keyboard"

I do have alternative web browsing apps that show some extensions but not others.

But it is a consideration, I agree.

Thanks for more information re the device it is from.

Bob

It is localized (hence the .mx and .us in my case) but the primary TLD's .com, .net, .org are available in all versions of iOS/languages when you focus on a URL entry.

Last edited:
•••

Exactly!

Tech company always prefer io to net

Tech companies will always prefer .com when they have the opportunity to acquire it. .io is relative a new extension with startup mindset (because the .com is already registered by someone else or for sale at Sedo/TDNAM), once the startup produce enough money to pay for the .com version they will migrate to .com in no time.

.net has no value and future

People from the 90's / 2000's internet era know what is the .net value very well today.

•••
I've noticed that .io sells pretty good on Flippa. Is it preferred to .net, .org, & .us?

Let me introduce you to the royal family of domain extensions.

King .com is a successful tyrant that is loved by all. Queen .net is equally powerful in her own right, but is a little shy. Finally, the King and Queen had a prince, .org. The young prince doesn't get involved much in trends and short-letter crazes (he's too young for that), but as a royal, his power shows when he makes powerful sales to end users.

There are lesser known members of the royal family that the family rarely wants to speak of. In particular, .biz was an aspiring princess who flaunted her style and potential, attracting some domainers, but she quickly lost public opinion to spam and no one knows where she resides anymore.

Finally, the hardest worker of the royal family is Prince .info. Prince .info was always overshadowed by more powerful successful family members. He initially had some success before falling into a constant struggle with spam. The fact that he was 4 letters long compared to his slimmer three letter family members always put him in the back. The Prince was further dismayed when new TLDs arrived, pushing him back further. Nevertheless, he has been working hard for years and is finally coming out again. Will he succeed? Stay tuned...

And as for .io.... wait, who that pleb into this thread? :-P

•••
Yep, besides I like IO because it related to our entertainment industry(IN and OUT), push it to the side in a powerful way(IN), and pull it out when satisfying orgasms (OUT)

•••
Which is some of the cheapest renewal registrar for .io? Is there a common favorite that people like? Free whois preferred

•••
A real premium .io and .net will sell both for sure.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back