IT.COM

Is .NET still more valuable than .IO?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Just noticed "attend.io" sell on Park for $8,010. A little shocked to be honest.

I own the .NET version of the domain and while I've been a fan of .IOs for a number of years, which extension would you value more: .io or .net?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
There is no black & white answer here.
Strong, single word .IO domains related to crypto, gaming or other specific tech areas are likely to be more valuable than the .NET equivalent.
.NET on the other hand would seem more appropriate for domain names that do not meet these criteria.
In other words, .IO is more specific and specialized, while .NET is more generic and broadly applicable.

•••
Thanks for your input. That makes good sense, @TehNeth

•••
I would rather have .NET than .IO in almost every scenario, often by a wide margin.

Brad

•••
The ".net" for me

...when it comes to ".net" and ".org", a little different. This can depend more

•••
. Net unless the .io is a premium keyword or phrase probably 90% of the time the .net will be worth more.

•••
Cant spell “internet without “net”

Slideshare .com re-directs to Slideshare.net

Bizarro world

Last edited:
•••
.io for startups-fintech

.net for websites-information exchange-blogs

I would consider this way to value a domain name..

•••
People are way too emotionally invested in .net. While I also buy good ,net, they don't seem to sell as well as .io these days, both in sales velocity as well as price.

That is the new reality.

IMHO, it is because .net has more alternatives. In fact everything is an alternative of .net, including .org, NGTLDs, .co and so on

WHile a .io buyers usually wants a .io categorically.

Leaving aside the bias, if you look at afternic, many .net holders are also setting their BIN way too low, which maybe because they are not able to sell.

I have many .io that I am confident I can sell for 15-20K and yet when I search in afternic, the net is on sell for 995 or 1300 or something.

I think we are way past the time where we need to be giving opinions. Looking at data, .ios are selling better.

Also EMD style names sell better in .net while brandble and technical names sell better in .io

So it depends on the name as well

But end of the day Buyer is King. Data is Queen

•••
@blogspotter Terrific answer. I agree with a lot of the points you bring up, including that .IOs seem to be selling better. Which is why I was shocked to see attend.io sell for $8k while I've had relatively low interest in .NET, which would have probably saved whoever was bidding for .IO a significant amount if he/she contacted me first.

Your point on alternatives is spot on. I find that while .NET directly competes with .COM, with many people psychologically wanting to type in the .COM variant, .IO is in a class of its own and doesn't really compete with any other gTLD.

•••
I think the answer to this question shows a developing age gap in domain preferences. Not surprising if you look at how things tend to evolve over our history.

•••
Better hope so lol.

Jokes aside I truly think it depends, IO is in my opinion startup and a growing extension for sure. If you are branding, raising capital, and looking for a kick-ass brandable I would 100% prefer .IO vs .NET.

Speaking from some experience I am leveling towards. IO for the long run and lower investment costs for names that you would pay a lot more for if you go for the .NET but still history counts which are one reason I still love NET domains.

•••
Some Breaking News for all if not know

"In 2021, the United Nation's International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea ruled that the United Kingdom has no sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago, and that Mauritius is sovereign. This would extinguish the British Indian Ocean Territory, and the IO two-letter country code and .io could also be extinguished. The United Kingdom disputes and does not recognise the tribunal's decision, so further legal processes are likely."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.io
Of course long way but...
So good luck with .io to all :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Cant spell “internet without “net”

Slideshare .com re-directs to Slideshare.net

Bizarro world
And craigslist.com redirects to craigslist.org :s

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back