Dynadot

.net .NET - The Discussion and Showcase Thread!

NameSilo
Watch
Ok, its been a while since I've seen the good 'ol .NET get some decent recognition! :)
Let's try to bring this "bad boy" into spotlight as I believe there are still some great names left in this TLD!
Anyone still believe in .NET? :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, i still think its a good horse to bet on.
I own searchproperties.net and received a lot of offers on it. But i am planning to develop it.

•••
I own only 2 dot nets.

Both are personal

•••
I honestly think that .net is the one who is suffering the most to the emergence of several strong and/or upcoming ccTLDs.

I own only 1 .net, by the way.

•••
It depends on keywords.
Personally, I like high quality/high value keywords .net domains.
Some of them do have decent quality traffic.
:)

Edited: I removed the traffic/revenue stats screenshot to avoid misleading about the parking capability of general .net domains.

Last edited:
•••
It´s one of the few domain extensions everybody knows and which don´t need to be spelled out. And it seems real world business owners running under a .net are less eager to get a finger on the respective .com than "domainers" tend to believe.

Last edited:
•••

I don't have too many .nets, but I do have a good one (in my siggy).

I also have a generic two-word .net that ranks very high in Google (page 1, #1, with "", #2 without "", out of 200,000,000 and 600,000,000 respectively), even surpassing the .com, which is parked. (I'm not revealing it just yet because I'm trying to acquire the .com as a redirect to the .net).

Aesthetically, I prefer .net to the .com. If I ever acquire the .com of Poets [dot] net (unlikely at this point), I would keep the .net as branding and website name and redirect the .com to it.

End users like .net; domainers are the ones who pooh-pooh it.

•••

End users like .net; domainers are the ones who pooh-pooh it.

End-users like may exist. But your second part is really true:hehe:

By the way i own Healthy/Trips [.] net

•••
I've observed that many web hosting companies operate out of the .net extensions. And at web hosting forums, people suggest going with .net instead of investing huge amounts on .com...

•••
Guys, I am ABSOLUTELY THRILLED at your positive response...I very well know how domainers perceive .NET and having some great domainers in this thread speak well of it means a lot. :)
I personally don't own that many (let many drop, etc.) because of the constant negative feedback I received regarding .NET, but I STILL believe (maybe futile ;)) that this "oldy" can come into its hayday.
.NET had always been the most obvious generic choice for interNET sites to me, but somehow the almighty .COM won the top position.
I think mostly the way it was "marketed" in the very early days.
Either way, there are still some great names available and perhaps .NET can actually finally rise as a legitimate alternative to .COM...at least more than .CO or all the other new "generic" extensions.
Some companies still make their main websites in .NET. :)
Let's give .NET some long deserved attention! :tu:

•••
•••
i still believe in .net i have recently purchased and hand regged some for personal use in business and different projects

•••
I believe .net is still doing good and will continue to grow more in future. I do have some .net domain names and received high x,xxx offer on PropertyDubai.net but later buyer backed out for some personal reason he mentioned through SEDO. It happened long time back before the recession...

•••
I like .net, I think it'll stay evergreen... I have just one though - Dontics.net

•••
yep & loose traffic from .com

but i like .net they work but you still loose really few traffic to .com

•••
I like really, really good .nets, (like, bullseye keywords) but that's about it.
There are no situations where I'd choose to develop a .net over a .com, but there are situations where I'd develop a .org and redirect the .com to it.

There was a radio ad here in Chicagoland the other day of someone who had developed a CTA type .net (hypothetical example-"YourNewCar"). They reiterated the ".net" part very pointedly in the radio spot by having the announcer slow down his speech and carefully enunciate the "dot net" portion.

"go to www dot YourNewCar dot net - That's www dot YourNewCar DOT NET"

I haven't bothered going to their site, but I did remember it was a DOT NET.

They can work OK, but as we all know, they're a far second choice to dot com. I do think in many cases the disparity in price between a net and a com isn't warranted.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Ms Domainer's statement that "End users like .net; domainers are the ones who pooh-pooh it."

Not all words fit .org extension whereas .net is no different compared to.com, as all words fit .net perfectly. Therefore .net is the natural alternative to .com. In fact, there are many words where .net would fit better than .com, e.g. authorize.net, etc. The list of .net successful websites is countless and it is growing fast on a constant basis.

The way .com domainers are sitting on their keywords demanding ridiculous prices doesn't help .com much and forces the end users towards an alternative extension; hence .net.

•••
I like .nets too

I have been slowly collecting some good shorter ones, only quad premiums and premium letter cvcv's. I also have grabbed a few longer ones, my most recent .net acquisition is GlobalWarmingNews. I've sold off most of my one words since they were not primo's and were basically meaningless.

Good thread start SDX!

•••
I have the feeling .net used to be more popular in the early 90s.
Today I think the winning team is .com/.ccTLD.
.net has also suffered from 'second fiddle' stigma, still I like it. In certain niches it does okay.

•••
I bought LLCs/net from RJs big sale thread for pocket change.
The formation and servicing of LLCs (Limited Liability Corporations) is a multi-billion dollar a year legal industry. I employ LLCs in business, everyone I know uses LLCs. There are numerous, very handsome affiliate programs for LLC formation.

LLCs.com is being used by some computer company called "Laser Logic Computer Services".
The domain is unquestionably worth more selling LLC formation services than it is as an acronym for some crappy AV company. I'm sure he's getting a lot of pissed off typeins with their wallets open who bounce very quickly...

I'm OK with the .net name just because it was so retardo-cheap and once I get around to developing it out and doing some adsense/click arb math we should be able to make it spew cash, but I'd still rather have the .com.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Ms Domainer's statement that "End users like .net; domainers are the ones who pooh-pooh it."

Not all words fit .org extension whereas .net is no different compared to.com, as all words fit .net perfectly. Therefore .net is the natural alternative to .com. In fact, there are many words where .net would fit better than .com, e.g. authorize.net, etc. The list of .net successful websites is countless and it is growing fast on a constant basis.

The way .com domainers are sitting on their keywords demanding ridiculous prices doesn't help .com much and forces the end users towards an alternative extension; hence .net.

A lot of personal bio websites are .NET also.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

I like .nets too

I have been slowly collecting some good shorter ones, only quad premiums and premium letter cvcv's. I also have grabbed a few longer ones, my most recent .net acquisition is GlobalWarmingNews. I've sold off most of my one words since they were not primo's and were basically meaningless.

Good thread start SDX!

Thanks! ...just think that .NET really needs to get some attention amongst all the new and sometimes ridiculously overhyped ccTLD's!
A ton of great feedback so far guys! :tu:

•••
Good .net domains are (quietly) better investments than many seem to think - even on the reseller market.

Recently, I sold a premium one-word .net for solid $xx,xxx (a 25% ROI) in the midst of the downturn. But, it was a quality name - and, had great development potential.

Most Domainers don't like .net 'cos even the best names make nothing by parking them.....And, most make relatvely little with minisites....But end users see them differently.

RealEstate.net sold for $750k a couple of years ago....I think good .net domains find a ready market among end users, because they look to the longer term branding potential - and, quality domains are gettable....And, .net is a known extension for their business.

•••

ccTLDs may be a "hot" trend right now, but only because the big guys have decided to hype them; a year ago, most ccTLDs were considered inferior (except a few like .de, which have always been stable and well-revered in its home country). Why the sudden pumping of ccTLDs? One has to wonder...

I think ccTLDs can be risky; .cn has proven that an owner's investment can evaporate overnight with the stroke of lawmaker's pen. Each country has the right to legislate it's ccTLD as it sees fit and can leave an investor in the lurch--and without recourse.

I like .net because it IS stable and global. A ccTLD is usually ranked well only within its own country, unless one uses SEO--all the hype in the world doesn't change that fact. A developed .net will do well without a lot SEO, sometimes even over the .com.

I do believe that .com, .net, and .org are the global standard bearers. Unfortunately, .us seems to be underutilized by U.S. users, which puzzles me because it should be a natural for U.S. citizens and internationals who do business in the U.S.

Other ccTLDs have their regional niches but may prove to be poor investments for domainers who may not know the customs, language, and laws of foreign countries and the rules of their TLDs.

•••
•••
Good .net domains are (quietly) better investments than many seem to think - even on the reseller market.

Recently, I sold a premium one-word .net for solid $xx,xxx (a 25% ROI) in the midst of the downturn. But, it was a quality name - and, had great development potential.

Most Domainers don't like .net 'cos even the best names make nothing by parking them.....And, most make relatvely little with minisites....But end users see them differently.

RealEstate.net sold for $750k a couple of years ago....I think good .net domains find a ready market among end users, because they look to the longer term branding potential - and, quality domains are gettable....And, .net is a known extension for their business.

Absolutely agree.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

ccTLDs may be a "hot" trend right now, but only because the big guys have decided to hype them; a year ago, most ccTLDs were considered inferior (except a few like .de, which have always been stable and well-revered in its home country). Why the sudden pumping of ccTLDs? One has to wonder...

I think ccTLDs can be risky; .cn has proven that an owner's investment can evaporate overnight with the stroke of lawmaker's pen. Each country has the right to legislate it's ccTLD as it sees fit and can leave an investor in the lurch--and without recourse.

I like .net because it IS stable and global. A ccTLD is usually ranked well only within its own country, unless one uses SEO--all the hype in the world doesn't change that fact. A developed .net will do well without a lot SEO, sometimes even over the .com.

I do believe that .com, .net, and .org are the global standard bearers. Unfortunately, .us seems to be underutilized by U.S. users, which puzzles me because it should be a natural for U.S. citizens and internationals who do business in the U.S.

Other ccTLDs have their regional niches but may prove to be poor investments for domainers who may not know the customs, language, and laws of foreign countries and the rules of their TLDs.

Also agree on this...especially the stability and global value of .NET! :)

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I have
IUSA.net​

Very nice catch as usual gemstar...how much? :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back