Dynadot

Need some advice with same business name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steven McEvoy

CFaDN.comTop Member
Impact
So I started a new business with xxxxxx.com
Didn’t realize someone had an active fb page with the same name and same type of business... it’s the only social media account they own with the name. I own the rest.

There is no trademark

I just purchased the .com should I keep my business or look for a new name?

Can I get in trouble with continuing my business?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
trouble? you may create confusion....

Cheers
Corey

•••
Since no trade mark you are free to use the name.

•••
Idk is it wrong to do it?

•••
If you're going to make a business of this I would ask a lawyer to be clear.

•••
I would attempt to contact the facebook page owner to see if I could get it.

I did that with twitter in the past and managed to get the profile.

If you cannot get it you can still use the business name just add the year your business got established behind it.

So on facebook: www.facbook.com/mybusines2019

That is how it is done in Canada so when there are 18 different places called prestige auto each one can use prestige auto but they have to legally be called PrestigeAuto2019. That is only on paper and can be left off everywhere else.

So if I was in your shoes and already had the business name picked out and had my heart set on it I would contact the facebook page owner first and if not put up a name/2019 page to make sure there is no confusion.

•••
If its just a facebook account, im sure you can reach out and try to get it. Or just change your facebook name enough that it works. You have all the important stuff IMO

•••
I thought about messaging them but didn't want them to get mad and start trying to sue or something, Sense I am in the USA and they're in India it looks like and i have no clue what the rules are over there.

•••
I thought about messaging them but didn't want them to get mad and start trying to sue or something, Sense I am in the USA and they're in India it looks like and i have no clue what the rules are over there.

If they are from India you should be able to get it on the cheap. Also I would not worry about the legal end of it from that corner of the world either, chances are very slim something will ever come of it.

Offer 100 bucks and I bet you get the facebook user name, in India that is decent money.
Hell, I'll sell you my facebook page for a hundred bucks :xf.laugh:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back