Domain Empire

Need Advise Thanks ... I was offered over $20K for my domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all

I appreciate any advise in regards to my situation. I approached a company who has the exact domain name as mine; except with a different extension. They offered me 20K for it; knowing that I declined 1K offer less than 7 years ago. I would say they are fairly funded and open for negotiation.

So my question is if they offered 20K; what should my counter be?

Note:
I can't disclose the domain name at the moment as long as the deal is up in the air, but I will disclose it here if the buyer has no objections

Thanks,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You really need to give more info pm someone the info so they can give their views properly. That's just mho.. :xf.wink:

•••
Research to known the price of similar domains sold from Dnjournal.com and Namebio.com
Then send them showing examples of higher prices,ask for more than 20k without
giving a certain price, may they offer you more than 20k .
In case they insist on their price , do not be greedy !!!

Last edited:
•••
@maurixius How big is the company? Do you know roughly what their annual revenue is?

•••
•••
I think seeing as we don't know the finer details...

Lets look at it based on what information we do have:

Assuming you didn't pay a massive price to buy the domain initially.....

1.) Based on your current financial situation, how much value would $20k add to your life and can you afford to lose it?

2.) Right now the domain is worth $20k... lets say it's potentially worth $40k but you might have to wait another 2-3years until it sells... are you leaving money on the table? In my opinion, no.... because $20k in the bag now, if invested properly will grow to way more than $40k in 2-3years time. (if it was me I would take the deal and invest in Bitcoin - thats not investment advice, just saying what I would do)

3.) Off course, like @Silentptnr said..if the domain is a hot single word .com or a 3L .com then thats another story.

•••
""lets say the $20k they offered is a needle in a haystack"" - ask at least for 50k USD unless you really need this cash now.
If they are big enough with growing business the domain name will become more valuable when they approach you in 2019. Until that stage you can generate some parking revenue and wait for the higher offer in next years.
Remember, this is just an offer and is not binding. They can easily decrease it if they see that you are so flexible. If they are serious they will offer smth bigger than 20k USD. Just my IMHO.

•••
I'll make a counter offer only if I'll be very confident I'll be able to sell the name to someone else in 3-6 months from now, for 20k+. Otherwise, I'll take the money now.

Last edited:
•••
Take the money if you need it now or risk holding it another 7 years. I think if you are set on a price that is not ridiculously high create a buy it now price that is good for 48 hours. If you are paying someone a commission I would raise it. If no commission I would take it. But that’s just me.

•••
lets say the $20k they offered is a needle in a haystack
I understand your goal, but I feel like your over confidence can kill a deal.

If I do a sale with salesforce for $10k, just because they have a huge market cap doesn't mean they are going to dedicate it all to a domain name.

As many have said, only you know the dynamics of the deal, we are just guessing on the potential, but I would recommend you counter, either one of 4 scenarios plays out, they accept, they counter back, they stand firm at $20k, or they say they are no longer interested.

Last edited:
•••
Wow thats awesome, i’m interested in what this domain could be. I have lots and feel like theyre all goldmines but cant sell them lol (as do a ton of people i’m sure). I was too offered a good amount and let greed ruin it.

•••
chances are you will blow it. 20k is probably them not wanting to negotiate so they offer the most they are willing right away. of course it depends on the domain but if its some random hand reg don't expect miracles.

•••
Wow thats awesome, i’m interested in what this domain could be. I have lots and feel like theyre all goldmines but cant sell them lol (as do a ton of people i’m sure). I was too offered a good amount and let greed ruin it.
It's not hard to see what domains this person owns, about 40 or so that came up, I didn't see any that could have $20K potential, the one that sounded like it met the criteria was very long.

•••
Hi all

I appreciate any advise in regards to my situation. I approached a company who has the exact domain name as mine; except with a different extension. They offered me 20K for it; knowing that I declined 1K offer less than 7 years ago. I would say they are fairly funded and open for negotiation.

Note:
I can't disclose the domain name at the moment as long as the deal is up in the air, but I will disclose it here if the buyer has no objections

Thanks,
take it immediately,
because the way you asking I am sure it is not a known dictionary word and also not a LLLL and even not a two word ultra premium

•••
It's not hard to see what domains this person owns, about 40 or so that came up, I didn't see any that could have $20K potential, the one that sounded like it met the criteria was very long.

We got a little more than just 40 domains. Should be closer to 350 but under a few different accounts. we did cut them down from 1,500+

•••
We got a little more than just 40 domains. Should be closer to 350 but under a few different accounts. we did cut them down from 1,500+

* just bought a few more today on the auction. Got outbid for 2 of them :(

•••
It's def. not one of those on that list of 40 methinks :cigar:

•••
Once again another in the dark thread about a "so called" offer.

Something smells as usual.

Another day in the land of domains....

•••
Once again another in the dark thread about a "so called" offer.
Something smells as usual.
Another day in the land of domains....

yep, something is not sounding/reading right. doesn't necessarily mean it's Wrong, just some of the posts seem way-off the norm.
20k offer - I can understand an accept that - certainly been there myself.

"Have Got 40 should be 350 cut from 1,500 ???"

Do you mean sold 10- 20--30% of the 1,500.

"trimmed to 40 domains" ???

always try to give a long standing member the benefit of the doubt over just key-in mistakes, or in just firing-away on a post. but, number reporting is key to credibility (when and if it's posted)
maybe just some clarification is required

Last edited:
•••
yep, something is not sounding/reading right. doesn't necessarily mean it's Wrong, just some of the posts seem way-off the norm.
20k offer - I can understand an accept that - certainly been there myself.

"Have Got 40 should be 350 cut from 1,500 ???"

Do you mean sold 10- 20--30% of the 1,500.

"trimmed to 40 domains" ???

always try to give a long standing member the benefit of the doubt over just key-in mistakes, or in just firing-away on a post. but, number reporting is key to credibility (when and if it's posted)
maybe just some clarification is required
He says he has about 350 now, he might be using different emails which would have different sets attached, the batch of 40 I saw, didn't have any $20k hmm have to think about it type domains. Maybe ask M Berkens or M Mann they always seem to get $30-$40k for these domains most would sell for $2500.

•••
no problem wwwweb, on an International board you have to allow for all sorts of language interpretations and indeed reporting.

So I guess your 'Surmising'
has 350 domains cut down from 1500, which is a perfectly reasonable explanation.

And lets add, even at 40 x 2.5k, reads as someone who knows what they're upto ;)

Last edited:
•••
Anyway just hope he’ll keep us posted on what happens after engaging our time.

•••
If phone isn't your thing or somehow not an option, still - engaging them properly via email, works.

Engaging via email is mission impossible. You usually come across as just nosy.

•••
<<Engaging via email is mission impossible.>>

Nowadays, people converse with email as if they were talking to each other in the same room, so I'd definitely say that that is not my experience. Engagement is engagement. And it's good, whether the ring is 3 carats or just 1. :playful:

•••
Hi all

Note:

Thanks,

Welcome to the 99 Club!

Once upon a time, there lived a King who, despite his luxurious lifestyle, was neither happy nor content. One day, the King came upon a servant who was singing happily while he worked. This fascinated the King, why was he, the Supreme Ruler of the Land, unhappy and gloomy, while a lowly servant had so much joy. The King asked the servant, “Why are you so happy?”

The man replied, “Your Majesty, I am nothing but a servant, but my family and I don’t need too much, just a roof over our heads and warm food to fill our tummies.” The king was not satisfied with that reply. Later in the day, he sought the advice of his most trusted advisor. After hearing the King’s woes and the servant’s story, the advisor said, “Your Majesty, I believe that the servant has not been made part of The 99 Club.”

“The 99 Club? And what exactly is that?” the King inquired. The advisor replied, “Your Majesty, to truly know what The 99 Club is, place 99 Gold coins in a bag and Write 100 on a bag then leave it at this servant’s doorstep.” So the King ordered to do it. When the servant saw the bag, he took it into his house. When he opened the bag, he let out a greatshout of joy, So many gold coins! He began to count them. After several counts, he was at last convinced that there were 99 coins. He wondered, “What could’ve happened to that last gold coin?!”

He looked everywhere he could, but that final coin was elusive. Finally, exhausted, he decided that he was going to have to work harder than ever to find that gold coin and complete his collection. From that day, the servant’s life was changed. He was overworked, horribly grumpy, and castigated his family for not helping him find that 100th gold coin. He stopped singing while he worked. Witnessing this drastic transformation, the King was puzzled. When he sought his advisor’s help, the advisor said, “Your Majesty, the servant has now officially joined The 99 Club.”

He continued, “The 99 Club is a name given to those people who have enough to be happy but are never content, because they’re always yearning and striving for that extra 1 telling to themselves, “Let me get that one final thing and then I will be happy for life.”

Moral: We can be happy, even with very little in our lives, but the minute we’re given something bigger and better, we want even more! We lose our sleep, our happiness, we hurt the people around us, all these as a price for our growing needs and desires. We must learn to maintain a balance of our need and desires to enjoy a happy life with what we already have.

•••
You need to close the sale now. The 20k will be spent perhaps not on your domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back