IT.COM

advice Need advice on a backordered domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

zilverzurfer89

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone. I recently back-ordered a generic dictionary word that was expiring. It was caught by pheenix and it's kept for 3 day private auction. It was originally reg'd on June 20, 1996..I know that its a huge mistake to trust estibot valuations, but estibot gave me a 99000 dollar valuation for the domain. I'd like to own this domain as an investment. My question is, does a domain like this lose its value once it expires? I'm new into the domain world. IS it risky to invest huge cash in this kinds of domain,
Any advice would be welcome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First off, never, ever consider estibot accurate in any way. They are usually way off, just like all automated appraisals.

Second, the domain shouldn't loose value (whatever it is) just by being dropped if it's a good name. Dropping usually makes no difference, it's the name that determines what the value is.

To help get a ballpark idea of what the name is you can check what similar domains have sold for. Don't base what you pay for a domain on an estibot valuation.

•••
First off, never, ever consider estibot accurate in any way. They are usually way off, just like all automated appraisals.

Second, the domain shouldn't loose value (whatever it is) just by being dropped if it's a good name. Dropping usually makes no difference, it's the name that determines what the value is.

To help get a ballpark idea of what the name is you can check what similar domains have sold for. Don't base what you pay for a domain on an estibot valuation.
thank you for the advice. Will keep that in mind.

•••
•••
I'd like to add something on what ulterios said (in which he is very correct)

Estibot might be off in the actual estimation of a domain but it can still give you an indication of a domain that *might* have value

$99k is a lot. The domain you targeted must have something unique for the estibot valuation to be that high
If you can find out what was it that made estibot valuation to go as high as it did then it might be worth regging said domain in the end

•••
I'd like to add something on what ulterios said (in which he is very correct)

Estibot might be off in the actual estimation of a domain but it can still give you an indication of a domain that *might* have value

$99k is a lot. The domain you targeted must have something unique for the estibot valuation to be that high
If you can find out what was it that made estibot valuation to go as high as it did then it might be worth regging said domain in the end
Thank you very much!!!

•••
I feel, you also need to consider whether this Domain has got a website and the Traffic & Income to the site and You should be able to maintain to retain it's value. Thank you. Balas

•••
that is very high even for estibot as above - that would make me curious that there was something in the name worth a closer look

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back