IT.COM

NameSilo's New Payment Plan Option

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Cdomains

Top Member
Impact
NameSilo has a new payment plan option.

Here is a link to a sample page for the new option.

I was tinkering around inside my account to see how to set this up and I am having some problems.

The only way I can see to do this is by adding the domain to their marketplace.

They have several options on that page, but when I try to submit it, it says I have to select a sale type.

The only two types available are auction and make offer.

It also prompts to add a reserve amount.

Does anyone know how to make a page like the one in the link above.

I just want to be able to make a page to send a buyer to and I don't want them to see an auction or a make offer option.

Maybe @namesilo can help here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting, I assume (please correct me), that the domain MUST be registered at @namesilo to make use of this option? Not like Uniregistry where you can add any domain to their marketplace?

•••
Interesting, I assume (please correct me), that the domain MUST be registered at @namesilo to make use of this option? Not like Uniregistry where you can add any domain to their marketplace?

You are correct sir.

The domain must be registered at NameSilo.

•••
You just select Offer/Counter Offer, set a BIN, choose to have a payment plan, use their nameservers, and it makes a landing page. You can choose to have the color landing page or the regular one by going here
https://www.namesilo.com/account_marketplace_for_sale.php
and clicking under the Landing column.

•••
•••
Yeah, see FuelBolt.com, with the regular landing page. That one (clouddojo) has the color landing page.

But..I'm not sure why there's no option to make an offer on mine.
Because if you go to https://www.namesilo.com/Marketplace and type in fuelbolt or clouddojo, you can get to this page,
https://www.namesilo.com/OfferCounter?auction=ZmDmAmZjZmLmBQZ560r2rq5s46p9r2p0o83n0o1q7n295081
which allows for offers when you're logged in.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Does anyone know how they handle chargebacks?

•••
What happens if the payment period requires a renewal?

And if a buyer does not complete the payments, does the owner get to keep them all? And do you get them as they arrive, or after, or up front?

•••
Maybe @namesilo will see this thread and give us some answers.

•••
From their terms:
You will receive the domain immediately upon making your initial payment
You will not be able to transfer the domain to a different registrar or NameSilo account until the final payment has been made.
So they probably push it back to the seller's account if buyer stops payments.

•••
I was talking about if someone buys a domain from me through NameSilo using their credit card or PayPal, for example.

Could they do a charge back.

If they did, what would happen then?

I've always used escrow for my transactions, just to be safe, so I've never had to deal with a charge back before.

•••
I've always found when I email NameSilo support with any questions, they are very quick to respond. They should be able to answer any of your concerns.

•••
I was talking about if someone buys a domain from me through NameSilo using their credit card or PayPal, for example.

Could they do a charge back.

If they did, what would happen then?

I've always used escrow for my transactions, just to be safe, so I've never had to deal with a charge back before.
If they did a chargeback they would probably push the domain back to your account.

This is great news and will become the norm at all registrars in the future. They have to or they won't be able to compete. Now all we need is Godaddy to jump on board. I've asked Styler about it before, so I'll tag him here so he can see others are doing it. HugeDomains and now NameSilo. Godaddy could make a lot more commission on completed sales if they implement payment plans. @Joe Styler , it's a great idea.

Last edited:
•••
Hi Everyone. Sorry for not replying yesterday. Seems we are not being notified when we are tagged in posts. Will check on our account settings....

To answer a few questions:

Charge backs: We ultimately take the risk for charge backs. We have (luckily) had very few so far related to our Marketplace, but they do happen. When we receive a charge back, and the domain is still registered with us, we reach out to the Seller to inform them of the charge back and see if they are willing to take receipt of the domain again and to reverse out any commissions that had been paid out. We understand some Sellers are not willing to do this, and we do not require that they do, but it is certainly our preference :)

Payment plans questions: First, you receive your commissions as payments are issued. This goes for the initial down payment as well as any future monthly or early payments made by the Buyer. If the Buyer misses their payments and does not issue payment within the prescribed deadline, then the domain is returned to the Seller and the Seller gets to keep any commissions earned.

It seems the OP's question was handled regarding URLs to landing/offer pages, but please let us know if not. Might be easiest to handle via email at [email protected], or feel free to post here as well.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback regarding the payment plan offering. It has been used by many of our Sellers and the results so far are extremely encouraging.

•••
Thanks @namesilo for the info. Namesilo support is great but some of these questions probably could go into an FAQ or ToS page - maybe some of it is already there in fine print. It's a great option for selling. One thing I would like is if it was even clearer to the buyer that they can select the number of months - at first look I just saw one month until I looked again.

One thing I wonder about - not Namesilo's problem, more the seller's, is what happens if the buyer just uses the domain for a month and trashes it then stops payments. Or what if someone sells a domain for a huge amount on 12 montly payments then gets a hitman to take out the buyer after the 11th monthly payment and keeps the domain and the $.

•••
Thanks @namesilo for the info. Namesilo support is great but some of these questions probably could go into an FAQ or ToS page - maybe some of it is already there in fine print. It's a great option for selling. One thing I would like is if it was even clearer to the buyer that they can select the number of months - at first look I just saw one month until I looked again.

One thing I wonder about - not Namesilo's problem, more the seller's, is what happens if the buyer just uses the domain for a month and trashes it then stops payments. Or what if someone sells a domain for a huge amount on 12 montly payments then gets a hitman to take out the buyer after the 11th monthly payment and keeps the domain and the $.

Thanks, I think that is a good idea to create a FAQ and I'll be sure to pass that along.

Sellers can choose their maximum payment plan length from 1-12 months.

It is a bit of a risk for Sellers offering payment plans and having Buyers "trash" their domain and then not making payment, but our system also allows Sellers to set a minimum down payment so, if that is a major concern, you can set that amount to be higher :)

•••
Payment plans questions: First, you receive your commissions as payments are issued. This goes for the initial down payment as well as any future monthly or early payments made by the Buyer. If the Buyer misses their payments and does not issue payment within the prescribed deadline, then the domain is returned to the Seller and the Seller gets to keep any commissions earned.
Hi @namesilo

Just to clarify, when you say "commissions" there do you mean the 7.5% that Namesilo takes on the payments, or do you mean the seller gets to keep the payments themselves?

I still wonder what happens if a domain requires renewal during the payments period - does the buyer or seller pay that - who is advised that renewal is due?

Also I think the wording on the page the buyer sees could be improved where the user has choices about how many months and what down payment to make, namely add "set" or "choose" or similar:

Set Installment Months (or How Many Months)

Choose
Your Down Payment:

Otherwise the first thing you see is a box already filled in showing a down payment of half the full purchase price - some people will do a 180 right there I bet.

•••
Hi @namesilo

Just to clarify, when you say "commissions" there do you mean the 7.5% that Namesilo takes on the payments, or do you mean the seller gets to keep the payments themselves?

I still wonder what happens if a domain requires renewal during the payments period - does the buyer or seller pay that - who is advised that renewal is due?

Also I think the wording on the page the buyer sees could be improved where the user has choices about how many months and what down payment to make, namely add "set" or "choose" or similar:

Set Installment Months (or How Many Months)

Choose
Your Down Payment:

Otherwise the first thing you see is a box already filled in showing a down payment of half the full purchase price - some people will do a 180 right there I bet.

Sorry, when we referred to "commissions" in our previous reply, it was referring to the Seller's proceeds, not our commission.

Regarding expiration, our system does not permit payment plans that would overlap an expiration date to avoid just this confusion.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding verbiage updates on the payment plan page. We'll be sure to consider.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back