Dynadot

Namesilo Feedback and Requests

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

anantj

Top Member
Impact
This is in reference to https://www.namepros.com/posts/6632400/

Sure, we'd be happy to engage on such a thread :)

I'm not personally exactly sure how/where to create such a thread. Maybe it would be better started by a user as opposed to us as the company?

Please use this thread to interact with the excellent @namesilo Domain registrar. They are highly responsive, open to suggestions for features and changes and overall one of the best domain registrars.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Perfect this thread just came up :)

I really must say Namesilo has become one of my favourite registrars. (For me) they beat most other registrars in a lot of points.
Though there's two things/functions I'm missing:

- use own nameserver entries instead of Namesilos default *.dnsowl.com with DNS entries hosted at Namesilo (and being able to set records of type NS)
- see domain auth-codes directly via API

May those can be implemented some time, would appreciate :)

•••
- use own nameserver entries instead of Namesilos default *.dnsowl.com with DNS entries hosted at Namesilo (and being able to set records of type NS)
What do you mean? You can use your own DNS entries (I use my hosting providers for a few of my names).

•••
What I ment is sometimes called branded nameservers.
E.g. for domain mydomain.com I want to use ns1/2/3.mydomain.com and just keep using DNS settings/entries at Namesilo

•••
•••
You can create a template with an A record and CNAME but I see no other way to change the nameservers but manually.

•••
@namesilo - can you please check the following scenario:

- I used your ("dnsowl") name servers for some domain name, and had some config inside (such as mx records, webforwarding, etc.)

- Later, I changed dns servers to those provided my webhosting or parking company (so I stopped using namesilo dns servers)

- After some time, the domain was sold on marketplace or manually pushed to another namesilo account

- New owner elected to use your ("dnsowl") dns servers for their purposes

- New owner will then find my old dns configuration inside, such as namesilo-powered webforwarding I used maybe years ago, and will need to _replace_ my old configs with theirs (instead of simply adding their desired dns records). Doing so, he may miss something (such as configure new febforwarding but not mx so the resulting set of dns records will be a mix of my old config and their new config). The old dns records are irrelevant even for my purposes before the push, and are also irrelevant for a new owner.

Suggested resolution:
If the domain is pushed, the system should reset old dns configuration in your "dnsowl" dns servers, especially in the cases where "dnsowl" servers are not actually serving the domain name at the push time.

Last edited:
•••
@anantj can you show me a domain which actually is configured that way? I tried doing it manually (registered nameserver hosts under that domain manually and setting nameservers of the domain to those hosts) and Namesilo namservers didn't respond to queries for that domain anymore.

Furthermore SOA and NS still showed nsX.dnsowl.com as there is no possibilty to add/change such records.
This also makes it impossible to sub-delegate a subdomain to another nameserver.

Would be nice if @namesilo could jump in :)

Another feature I would appreciate to have would be an extended version of the "listDomains" API command that would list your domains including all properties like status, dates, renewalmode, etc.

•••
@xyo - you may register ns1.(yourdomain).com etc. nameservers with IP address(es) of ns1.dnsowl.com etc. For example, at the time of this writing:

ns1.dnsowl.com has address 173.254.242.221
ns1.dnsowl.com has address 185.34.216.159
ns1.dnsowl.com has address 198.251.84.16
ns1.dnsowl.com has IPv6 address 2001:19f0:5c01:bb0:5400:ff:fe1d:d1cc

Do this for all 3 nameservers - and you are set. For the sake of completness, do not forget also to include the same into one data inside zone file (A records).

You should avoid this setup though. Somday, namesilo may change IPs of their DNS servers, but they will not change your setup. In this case, your dns will stop working.

Last edited:
•••
As for SOA and NS records shown if you send nslookup or similar to any of nsN.(yourdomain).com servers - it may well be that those will always be reported as dnsowl , but it should not have any practical negative effect

•••
Hey Everyone. Sorry, just became aware of this thread... On the topic of using our system for DNS with your own name servers...

While it is possible to create "branded" name servers using our name server IPs, and name resolution should still work, we discourage this practice due to the following reasons:

• If we ever change our name server IPs, resolution could stop working for you. We have changed our IPs multiple times over the years.
  • DNS responses for NS and SOA records (as well as the "Additional" records) will reference the ns1/2/3.dnsowl.com hostnames

•••
@anantj can you show me a domain which actually is configured that way? I tried doing it manually (registered nameserver hosts under that domain manually and setting nameservers of the domain to those hosts) and Namesilo namservers didn't respond to queries for that domain anymore.

Furthermore SOA and NS still showed nsX.dnsowl.com as there is no possibilty to add/change such records.
This also makes it impossible to sub-delegate a subdomain to another nameserver.

Would be nice if @namesilo could jump in :)

Another feature I would appreciate to have would be an extended version of the "listDomains" API command that would list your domains including all properties like status, dates, renewalmode, etc.
Edit: I think I figured out what you're trying to do. I don't have such a setup. I misunderstood your initial question

Last edited:
•••
@namesilo

How to activate SedoMLS Premium from your side? I have activated it for some domains from Sedo but it is showing an error:

"Activation request not accepted by registrar."

Sedo mentions Namesilo as an approved partner.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@namesilo

How to activate SedoMLS Premium from your side? I have activated it for some domains from Sedo but it is showing an error:

"Activation request not accepted by registrar."

Sedo mentions Namesilo as an approved partner.
Is it related to 60 days lock?

Last edited:
•••
Is it related to 60 days lock?

Yes, if you have domains registered within the last 60 days then they cannot be listed with SedoMLS. Please email [email protected] for the fastest response to general support inquiries as we monitor that much more frequently than third-party sites such as NamePros. Thanks!

•••
Yes, if you have domains registered within the last 60 days then they cannot be listed with SedoMLS. Please email [email protected] for the fastest response to general support inquiries as we monitor that much more frequently than third-party sites such as NamePros. Thanks!
Noted. Thank you.

•••
•••
@namesilo :

It appears that seo/logo spammers are now using historical databases to send their "offers" more and more frequently, after the recent whois policy changes especially. So I"m looking to start using Namesilo Whois Privacy more actively. Is my impression correct that your system does periodically change pw-... @ privacyguardian.org whois emails? This is exactly what is needed, since saving such emails into distributed spammers db will not work.

However, the following feature becomes more important, if not critical:

I was always using whois privacy _without email forwarding_ for all new handregs during 1-2 initial months, This way I eliminated initial after-reg design/seo spam.

Should I start to use whois privacy more actively, I will need to have emails forwarded for existing domains (not recent handregs). Less spam - but more potential sales inquiries.

I will still need to have privacy without email forwarding for new handregs.

It appears that, at least at the time of this writing, privacy email forwarding can only be configured "account based". It either works or does not work for all privacy protected domains I have inside namesilo acct.

Would it be possible to make this config (forward emails or no) domain-based?

Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
@namesilo :

It appears that seo/logo spammers are now using historical databases to send their "offers" more and more frequently, after the recent whois policy changes especially. So I"m looking to start using Namesilo Whois Privacy more actively. Is my impression correct that your system does periodically change pw-... @ privacyguardian.org whois emails? This is exactly what is needed, since saving such emails into distributed spammers db will not work.

However, the following feature becomes more important, if not critical:

I was always using whois privacy _without email forwarding_ for all new handregs during 1-2 initial months, This way I eliminated initial after-reg design/seo spam.

Should I start to use whois privacy more actively, I will need to have emails forwarded for existing domains (not recent handregs). Less spam - but more potential sales inquiries.

I will still need to have privacy without email forwarding for new handregs.

It appears that, at least at the time of this writing, privacy email forwarding can only be configured "account based". It either works or does not work for all privacy protected domains I have inside namesilo acct.

Would it be possible to make this config (forward emails or no) domain-based?

Thank you!

Hello,

Sorry, but you are correct that the setting is account-based, not domain-based. We may add an option to make domain-based in the future however. You are also correct that we randomly change the email address in WHOIS every 2-3 days.

•••
We may add an option to make domain-based in the future however.

Yes, PLEASE...
In the meantime, I see two alternatives for the desired effect:

1. I may open a second namesilo account. It will not have privacy email forwarding enabled. Any new handreg will be pushed to that account for 1 month, and with a whois privacy enabled there would be no "initial" after-reg spam. The first (main) account will have email forwarding enabled for privacy-protected domains, so I will still receive whois-based domainbuy inquiries for any domains I elected to protect with privacy.

2. NameSilo may amend the current internal interpretation of GDPR policy, and let me opt-in for the following whois for new hangreds, regarldess of inhouse privacy protection:

Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR GDPR PRIVACY
Registrant Organization: REDACTED FOR GDPR PRIVACY
Registrant Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR GDPR PRIVACY
Registrant Email: <something that does not forward anything>

I've seen cases where the above was shown for non-EU registrants (myself included), and up to where the displayed emails were not working at all, such as using unregistered domain(!), or 1 generic email for all domains, or where emails were also "redacted". Actually non-existent whois if we think about it... but ICANN does not care, so the above must also be OK.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, PLEASE...
In the meantime, I see two alternatives for the desired effect:

1. I may open a second namesilo account. It will not have privacy email forwarding enabled. Any new handreg will be pushed to that account for 1 month, and with a whois privacy enabled there would be no "initial" after-reg spam. The first (main) account will have email forwarding enabled for privacy-protected domains, so I will still receive whois-based domainbuy inquiries for any domains I elected to protect with privacy.

2. NameSilo may amend the current internal interpretation of GDPR policy, and let me opt-in for the following whois for new hangreds, regarldess of inhouse privacy protection:

Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR GDPR PRIVACY
Registrant Organization: REDACTED FOR GDPR PRIVACY
Registrant Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR GDPR PRIVACY
Registrant Email: <something that does not forward anything>

I've seen cases where the above was shown for non-EU registrants (myself included), and up to where the displayed emails were not working at all, such as using unregistered domain(!), or 1 generic email for all domains, or where emails were also "redacted". Actually non-existent whois if we think about it... but ICANN does not care, so the above must also be OK.

Hi @tonyk2000 . I may suggest another option...

For your new registrations, perhaps consider using an order profile with a different email address used for the associated contact record(s) than your "main" contact records. You can read about order profiles here:

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Profile-Manager

You could also assign new registrations to a new "bracing for spam" portfolio.

Then, after say 1 month, search for any domains in that new portfolio and assign privacy and/or your more permanent contact records. You could do this by searching for domains in the new portfolio, sort by creation date to get the group you want to update, and then process all at once. Then, move any domains in that portfolio to a different (or no) portfolio.

If you have some basic programming skills, you could also automate all of this via our free API.

•••
In my opinion after 2years with them Namesilo.com are the best registrar out there.
No “discount codes” or pricey Discount Club fees required for awesome pricing everyday and included free features like Privacy, page landers and much more.
These guys are the best. IMHO(y):xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Hi @namesilo
I was looking to transfer (as I'm amused with the pricing and free privacy option) my personal 14 domains from namecheap and godaddy and also transfer 17 domains (having Sites) from my other reseller account. And was just hopping through various pages of namesilo site including T&C as I would be transferring my customers domains and have to read the policy of sponsoring registrar.

I stumbled upon this Abuse page: namesilo.com/report_abuse.php
and was reading it those 4 paragraphs: Trademark disputes, Copyright disputes, Spam/UCE, Phising/Malware -- These all suggests (as per my interpretation) a complainant should contact Hosting provider (for coypright/spam/phishing) or UDRP (for trademark dispute) as Namesilo is just a registrar.

But the Report Abuse online form displayed below has "Categories" (Type of Report) which includes selection of "Copyright Violation", and "SPAM/UCE" and "Phishing/Malware".

Does that mean Namesilo honors the complaints for "Copyright violation", "spam/uce" and "phishing" which it says falls in purview/scope of Hosting provider but takes action against Domains (which is contradictory to the forgoing paragraph)?

Also on General Terms and Conditions Page - Para 5 Termination or Suspension: (a) v, and vii its listed: Domains and web sites involved in the transmission of unsolicited email, and Domains and web sites involved in copyright and/or trademark infringement. - Isn't it contradictory to what is written on Report Abuse page?

I will be happy if the staff explains it.

•••
Would be nice to have a saved setting for our preferred default nameservers so as not to have to keep changing them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back