IT.COM

Names or Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which is better, Names or Domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Names

votes
    35.3%
  • Domains

votes
    64.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I was just catching up on "Name"Pros and found a conversation that debated "Names" vs. "Domains."

There are many brands that use the term "Names" while being in the "Domain" industry. You have, Namepros, Namescon, etc, etc.....

So which is better "Names" or Domains?"

Does "Names" truly describe our niche?

Should we be using one more than the other?

Should I be switching to Internet.Names?:-P

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Names applies to the "industry talk" that happens amongst our peers.

Telling someone that is not well versed in the industry that you "sell names" will leave people dumbfounded.

When I break down what I do, in Spanish or English, it starts with domains or dominios. The term is also relevant with corporate clients, escrow transactions (especially if the buyer is not a re-seller), and general "what do you do for a living" conversations.

•••
Names applies to the "industry talk" that happens amongst our peers.

Telling someone that is not well versed in the industry that you "sell names" will leave people dumbfounded.

When I break down what I do, in Spanish or English, it starts with domains or dominios. The term is also relevant with corporate clients, escrow transactions (especially if the buyer is not a re-seller), and general "what do you do for a living" conversations.
Gotcha!..I guess what puzzles me is the amount of branding around the "Names" term. After all, a brand needs to reach an audience that is not well versed in the industry. It needs a broad approach. In that aspect I feel "Domains" has further reach. Although, exceptions occur when it's more B2B....IMO

Last edited:
•••
I think "names" could have a good reach too though, though it's tough to match your Internet.Domains name instantly recognizable for sure, no matter someone's experience with the web. Look at Domain.Name, this is surely a perfect example of a, well, domains vs names :)

My thoughts are, basically the two are interchangeable amongst us, as Sanchez pointed out, but a company that has already named themselves, ie Acme, is now looking for a domain, not a name.

•••
I completely agree that ''name'' is unfit for anything involving end users. ''Name'' doesn't imply domain at all and I don't like name related domains that much. That's why I think domain.com is better for what it is than name.com even though name.com is a better domain, of course.

•••
I prefer "domains". If I am talking to someone who is not in the field I normally say "domain names".

Brad

•••
I believe that the general public has a better understanding of the word "domain" than "name" when it comes to Internet addresses. IMO

That's why I recently registered:

DomainMarketeers.com

•••
I use both terms interchangeably and sometimes based on situation. I named this forum NamePros.com but I brand myself as DomainBuyer.com because it specifies exactly what I am a buyer of. With NamePros, the word name could be used to discuss branding, naming companies, trademarks, as well as domain names -- which is all well within the scope of this forum's purpose.

Which is better? I think they're about equal. "Domain" is more descriptive, "name" is easier to say. Domain could mean homes or land in some contexts, and the word name has many meanings. They are both incomplete when you're talking to people outside of the industry. The proper term is domain name, and thus we should probably all be using that term for the highest clarity.

Last edited:
•••
Or you could combine the two... as in

Domain Name

The question basically breaks up the set with the first part having the most meaning.

Domain = I know exactly what you are talking about

Name = Please explain and then I know what you are referring too.

That is why NamePros needs a tagline and sites like Domaining.com do not.

•••
PS. I think I kinda started that conversation in the other topic so my post above might be a bit repetitive.

•••
I always think of them interchangeably, each as half of the term Domain Names.

I use name in my domaining website's domain, in part because that's what I was able to aquire but also in part because I view it as more than just providing a domain name because I am a believer that your domain name and brand name should be one in the same. And I am not selling just a domain or just a brand, I am selling a name. At least that's how I view it.

•••
PS. I think I kinda started that conversation in the other topic so my post above might be a bit repetitive.
See what you started. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

•••
I use both terms interchangeably and sometimes based on situation. I named this forum NamePros.com but I brand myself as DomainBuyer.com because it specifies exactly what I am a buyer of. With NamePros, the word name could be used to discuss branding, naming companies, trademarks, as well as domain names -- which is all well within the scope of this forum's purpose.

Which is better? I think they're about equal. "Domain" is more descriptive, "name" is easier to say. Domain could mean homes or land in some contexts, and the word name has many meanings. They are both incomplete when you're talking to people outside of the industry. The proper term is domain name, and thus we should probably all be using that term for the highest clarity.

You did good by choosing NamePros , it's the perfect name form the perspective of those who are involved in domaining. IMO

PS: If I am not mistaken you started with a different name and then switched to NamePros , nevertheless it's a great name and we all have gotten used to it so much that I can't think of a better name for this forum.

Last edited:
•••
•••

It would leave me dumbfounded, and I have been in the field a long time. You need context.

Brad

•••
Domains

I like Name, but not plural Names

•••

Thats even more vague than names, you need to explain to the end user.

Are you selling a margarine brand or a domain name?

Yes I understand the term Brand is huge but it certainly does not convey Domain Selling unless you add a tagline.

Now as a domainer the word brand is great, just like namepro, but both require that tagline to convey purpose to the end user.

•••
Nice and interesting poll...thanks for starting it.

Lots of good points here by several posters and I don't have anything to add other than if I look for something in this space I look for the keyword plus name(s) and domain(s). To my ear and most people that are not industry based, the most interest is in the options including domain(s) most.

•••
The poll question is between names and domains (plural). In this case, domains sounds better.

Name (singular) has more branding flexibility. And also, "name" has a broader connotation in terms of naming a business or a product. It goes beyond just a domain name.

In the scope of marketing, naming includes more than domains but definitely domains are part of it.

•••
PS: If I am not mistaken you started with a different name and then switched to NamePros , nevertheless it's a great name and we all have gotten used to it so much that I can't think of a better name for this forum.

Thanks oldtimer!

When I opened this forum, it was called Domain Views (domainviews.com). I re-branded it as NamePros within the first few weeks. It sounded much better to me.

First archive for this forum is on domainviews.com https://web.archive.org/web/20030212163907/http://domainviews.com/

Last edited:
•••
@RJ, NamePros sounds better than DomainViews. Good move. (y)

•••
Common: Brand name (industry), Product name (consumers), Trade name (Symbol), Market-ing name (various), Direct name (target), Redirect name (shortcuts), Task name (eg. powered by), Domain name (Internet name, not necessary EMDN<>BN).

Poll results (2017, 47 companies)
Mostly, Industrial focused companies use suggestions from their employees ref. Internet name (60%), Website name (25%), Domain name (15%),... vs Consumer focused companies (selling goods etc) are more of an ‘triple-doubt’ by using agencies ref. Internet domain name (50%) and customers’ suggestions ref. Domain name (10%) - Website (30%) and still rely more on their trademark counsel ref. Internet Domain name (10%).

btw.
Consumer oriented name: Domain Views
Industry oriented name: namePros

My 2ct

Regards

Last edited:
•••
I like "names" better, it's one syllable and two letters shorter and people are more familiar with the word than with the word "domains". It's also a more flexible word that can be used in different ways.

Of course, it's good to own both ______names.com and ______domains.com or name______.com and domain______.com if you can get both.

•••
I personally prefer brand and names,

•••
Domain is the exact keyword.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back