Dynadot

Are apps still a threat to Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are apps still a threat to domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No

votes
    74.2%
  • Yes

votes
    19.4%
  • Maybe

votes
    6.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Yes, many years ago we asked this question. It was debated. I believe time has shown that domains are very relevant and remain so....Today, in 2017, I came across an article that interviewed a featured speaker for the global domain industry conference known as NamesCon. The question was asked and answered:

" What kinds of changes do you foresee within the industry in the next year 5 years?

A continued diminishing on the importance of domain names as content is consumed into applications, both on desktop and mobile applications."

Source: http://namescon.com/news/speaker-profile-john-lyotier

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I find these type of things to be silly.

It's not apps vs. domains. It's apps in addition to. Domains/sites aren't going anywhere.

Do you have link to old discussion.

•••
So someone is supposed to download a million apps in their phone? mostly people only download the apps for the sites / programs / games they most often use, not to mention all the permission these apps ask for.

I don't think there's anything to worry about in terms of domains disappearing or diminishing in value as a result.

Last edited:
•••
I find these type of things to be silly.

It's not apps vs. domains. It's apps in addition to. Domains/sites aren't going anywhere.

Do you have link to old discussion.
The old discussion happened many years ago. Approx 2011 -2014. It was mostly discussion on Domaining.com blog rolls. It was sparked by one of the conference speakers also saying apps will "diminish" domain names. Clearly that never happened. As a result I was very surprised to see another "Domain Industry" speaker giving a less than positive review of the importance of domains.

•••
As a result I was very surprised to see another "Domain Industry" speaker giving a less than positive review of the importance of domains.

Seems to be more of an app guy based on his site:

"At the heart of RightMesh is an intelligent, powerful, and reliable mesh networking platform that developers can easily deploy and integrate into their Apps. This patent pending switching technology will create new connectivity options and improved outcomes for billions of currently unconnected people and devices."

•••
Seems to be more of an app guy based on his site:

"At the heart of RightMesh is an intelligent, powerful, and reliable mesh networking platform that developers can easily deploy and integrate into their Apps. This patent pending switching technology will create new connectivity options and improved outcomes for billions of currently unconnected people and devices."

Thanks. Also appears they don't have their Exact Match Domain.:xf.grin:

•••
•••
If App is popular, don't you need need website for the App home?. Google play store and apple app store more or less highly controlled by respective company. Recently UC browser (it's Alibaba owned browser for smartphone with billion + downloads, competitor to google chrome ) banned by google, they are fixing the issue to compile to the google terms, to relist in play store and in the mean time they redirect people to download UC browser from their website.

If your app is very popular, you must have a website, otherwise you will be subjected to whips of google and apple. No resource for you.

Again I hate apps, almost all App ask permission to control entire phone data sicking, no more privacy at all. last week one Israel based android keypad company 5GB of server data hacked and it seems those hacked data show huge key stroke data gathering by this company, everything you type are captured, your google search , your email address, chat conversation etc and send to their server. Hate that play station, allow such apps

Last edited:
•••
Domain names are more versatile, and they can be advertised.
And most websites don't need a matching app really. They just need a domain name. The app is an extra.

•••
Apps won't replace the multitude of websites available online, as most users are reluctant to clutter up their phones with more apps, and most people seem to not install any new apps in an average month.

But a small number of platform apps are fencing people off in walled gardens. Some people rarely visit "the internet", and just browse the facebook or instagram or youtube app throughout the day. A lot of people have gone from visiting numerous websites to visiting only a handful of apps. This is a negative trend as the internet should ideally (depending on how you see it of course) be open, free and decentralized, thereby providing a free market and ample opportunities, but these apps controlled by mega corporations are the opposite of this as they control every aspect of what is going on within these apps. Domains are a remedy for this, though Google is a huge obstacle as a compromised central gateway for people to find domains/sites.

More so than apps, centralization of the internet and platforms/walled gardens are a bigger threat, and other threats to domains that are, imo, greater than apps, include; lack of net neutrality; corporate attempts at altering how DNS works in order to "stop piracy"; Google (they hate domains, because the option of direct navigation is one thing that prevents them from being indispensable online); governments messing up/censoring/filtering the internet (China's great firewall, for example); struggling western economies and middle classes (possible that it will lower demand for lower end English language .com over time).

Last edited:
•••
Apps are a real nuisance. I bought a new mobile recently, and it took me about two hours to delete all the rubbish apps that were pre-installed. Some retailers have moved their loyalty programmes to being solely app based, and I've dropped out of their programmes. The last thing I want is a load of app based spam on my phone reducing my data allowance, and battey life.

•••
Even fb is a threat to those small business domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back