Dynadot

news NamePros November 2021 – A new website and more!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NamePros

NamePros.comEstablished Member
NamePros Staff
Impact
Welcome to the new NamePros in November!

Today marks the first step toward a lot of positive and exciting changes coming to NamePros. You'll notice that most of what you loved is still here, and we're working hard to bring back even more.

And that's only the beginning! We'll be bringing you regular updates, sometimes weekly, to add the features you've requested (please vote on features you want to see first!) and improve your experience.

Our mission is to build a thriving professional network around the best community – that's you! – where professionals can engage in civil discussions, ask questions, share advice, partner, transact, and succeed, all together.

We hope you'll have a look around, and let us know what you think!

All our best,

The NamePros Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The messages or alerts were be faster in showing in old version but now they haven't been shown

•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Been in IT for 36 years and my Customers are always hate it when we upgrade the software as no one want to learn the new things. (Except new wife is ok).
Just concentrate on the features and make sure they are working.
The look is not important as you will get use to it.
It's impossible for complicated software like not to have any glitches after the upgrade. It's a lot of works so be patient.

•••
iam abig fan of xenforo i use it in my forum its really nice
i will miss old namepros theme

•••
I cannot figure out how to sort for all domain for sale listings by "new". This is the main way I use the website, is there a way to still do that?
Coming soon. In the meantime, you can use the Filter option to sort the individual marketplace sections, such as Domain Auctions and Fixed Price.

Twitter is missing from the list of approved sites for embedded media, and content is missing with no placeholder to show a link in the threads they've been used.
We don’t know why yet, but the tech team should have it fixed soon.

•••
I think the "New Posts" right column is quite important, at least I always check it when I enter Namepros. I miss at least the Newest 5 posts (now it only shows the last 3) like the "Domain Auctions" or "Popular This Week" right columns, they still show the last 5 posts.
Just my 2 cents :sneaky:

•••
•••
•••
•••
I'm just posting to see how my profile looks ... 🤔

•••
•••
The feedback score of each member in auction threads occupies way too much space in the mobile version, which makes each bid/promote post way to big.

The new feedback score design is great. But reducing it's size/ placing it elsewhere would make it more clean.

•••
Last edited:
•••
No way to filter out sales threads in "whats new". This alone makes the forum unusable (for discussion purposes). Sorry.

Last edited:
•••
This new look is less compact and gives me headache.

Edit: Design wise yes it looks newer but I doubt about usability. I hate all these new designs where you can only see little, there's so much space wasted and you have to scroll a ton to read a full page.

It's all about looks, less about efficiency.

Last edited:
•••
I posted in a thread and got a message saying it is to early to bump the thread - even though the last post was on the 20th October?..........

•••
honestly. the previous version used to look like a website from the early 2000s. But you all got used to it. congrats for the nice redesign.

•••
Screenshot_20211102-233633__01__01.jpg

@Bravo Mod Team

This is a screenshot from one of my NP auctions and it totally frustrates me. The new feedback design gobbles up like more than 50% of my screen space at NP auctions/marketplace in the mobile version. And I mostly use NP on my phone.

But kudos to the NP team for the new modern design, font etc. Looks really good. But please do fix this screen real-estate issue.

Thanks.

Edited by moderator to add internal link: https://www.namepros.com/conversations/3285177/

•••
Edit:found preview post link.

Last edited:
•••
Our old forum software was discontinued several years ago. We were maintaining it on our own during that time, but it significantly slowed the rate at which we were able to fix bugs and introduce new features. It also meant that maintaining security was increasingly time-consuming.

The underlying software has been replaced, so there's no way to switch back to the old design. That design isn't compatible with the new software we're using.
This is the saddest news of the month for me on NP. Being forced to change software just because some coder gone dead or something.

Never mind that it's already awful for my eyes, the worst part is that non-auction-sale-thread bumps will only give you max 3 slots under "New posts" which means your sale threads will only stay on the site's sidebar for so little time. It used to be 6 slots for new posts. That, and the lack of highlights for almost everything (especially for new posts and domain auctions) except for.... ads (to be more precise, only pics & videos will be the highlights, nothing else).

It feels like the worth of having a paid NP membership has diminished --- a lot.

More clicks just to look at alerts, and each alert now takes so much space. (viewing on desktop)

And a question - e.g. for those with 1k+ feedbacks & a few negative feedback like 1 or 2, will it show as 99% or 100% feedback score? Hopefully not 100% because that would mean big players can deceive a few without consequences, since others would simply glance over that 100% feedback score without a second thought.

•••
•••
I think no better time to land users on the new design.

•••
•••
I used to take photo's on my iphone and use some for avatar. Now the photo's are to large of a file to upload to server. (3.6mb)

Edit: used Studio app to resize. Its great for watermarking too

Last edited:
•••
For domain names readability, would it make sense to use a font where lowercase L doesn't look like uppercase "i"?

This was talked about before, e.g. @Acroplex wrote:

#DropCatch font : Simple change wiLL save you thousands of dollars [Domain Gang]

Often confused for a capital “I” the lower case “l” can make or break a domain auction’s outcome.

Is lraq.com the same as Iraq.com? Obviously not, yet some people have bid thousands of dollars on the wrong variant.

Very recently, DropCatch changed the font used for its domain lists and active auctions to the distinguished IBM Plex Sans, a beautiful font that gives “l” its natural lower tail.

Source: https://domaingang.com/domain-news/dropcatch-font-simple-change-will-save-you-thousands-of-dollars/

A few sample paragraphs with IBM Plex Sans:

--------

Screenshot at 2021-11-02 13:24:59.png

--------

Screenshot at 2021-11-02 12:43:57 IBM Plex Sans.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back