IT.COM

news NamePros November 2021 – A new website and more!

NameSilo
Watch

NamePros

NamePros.comEstablished Member
NamePros Staff
Impact
Welcome to the new NamePros in November!

Today marks the first step toward a lot of positive and exciting changes coming to NamePros. You'll notice that most of what you loved is still here, and we're working hard to bring back even more.

And that's only the beginning! We'll be bringing you regular updates, sometimes weekly, to add the features you've requested (please vote on features you want to see first!) and improve your experience.

Our mission is to build a thriving professional network around the best community – that's you! – where professionals can engage in civil discussions, ask questions, share advice, partner, transact, and succeed, all together.

We hope you'll have a look around, and let us know what you think!

All our best,

The NamePros Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If I Like or Agree with a post, it adds a point and I can see on the right-hand side a little green +1 for points by me. My suggestion would be that the Like or Agree button turn green also, so I can see how I added that point. And that would be a lot more noticeable than having to look for the little +1...

Last edited:
•••
If I Like or Agree with a post, it adds a point and I can see on the right-hand side a little green +1 for points by me. My suggestion would be that the Like or Agree button turn green also, so I can see how I added that point. And that would be a lot more noticeable than having to look for the little +1...
Agree. Now it's only slightly more highlighted, when you click the agree, like or thanks button, but hardly noticeable as you point it out.
It would be better if that button turns bold green, or bold blue, for example. (y)

Last edited:
•••
I have activated notifications. Still, in the alerts/notification side, this is a major downgrade for the NP website.

When I get in, the site seems dead. I'm not seeing any likes or whatever as it was. Even the reported sales thread appears like nobody is watching it anymore.

You need to put the old system of alerts back in. Or something that achieves the same.

Not all things are bad, some UI things look modern. But the new layout is entirely counter-productive as it is right now. Better UI, far worse UX.

I understand though that it's a work in progress since it's a major update.

Last edited:
•••
I suppose this is just a temporary bug... but right now the system is not adding any thanks, likes, agrees or ups... at least mine. It started lagging a while ago, and now it just doesn't add any like, agree... :cautious:

Last edited:
•••
I suppose this is just a temporary bug... but right now the system is not adding any thanks, likes, agrees or ups... at least mine. It started lagging a while ago, and now it just doesn't add any like, agree... :cautious:
Working now (y)

Last edited:
•••
Just discovered the "Toggle Width" in the bottom left corner......Nice (y)

•••
I'm not sure if I mentioned this already or not. But I'm seeing all the closed auctions listed in the domain auctions threads. Whereas in the old NP's these were removed. Is this something that you are aware of and are fixing. Or is this something that I can now toggle off in this new NP's?

•••
Is there no way to filter bargains from auctions from bin etc, in the buy section anymore?

•••
I have activated notifications. Still, in the alerts/notification side, this is a major downgrade for the NP website.

When I get in, the site seems dead. I'm not seeing any likes or whatever as it was. Even the reported sales thread appears like nobody is watching it anymore.

You need to put the old system of alerts back in. Or something that achieves the same.

Not all things are bad, some UI things look modern. But the new layout is entirely counter-productive as it is right now. Better UI, far worse UX.

I understand though that it's a work in progress since it's a major update.

I agree. What happened to notifications you would get for likes, thanks, agree, etc?

It was those that often lead me to go back to a thread and see what new content has been posted.

The site does seem far less active since the new update, but maybe that is just me.

A lot of the stuff is just hard to find or get used to.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I'll be completely honest about this new look...I think it's very confusing. I find that navigation is something of a puzzle. I have to put the magnification down as the font sizes are very large. I do like the dark theme but the navigation is simply trash.

•••
I'm not even gonna bother to try and figure out this new ui.. it's like somebody insulted me slap on face forcing me to waste my time..old np was perfect .this here is just unnecessary crap

I'll still come post here and there but post and reply will be the only 2 features I will use on this new np

tnx for ruining my np experience. au revoir

•••
I agree. What happened to notifications you would get for likes, thanks, agree, etc?
It was already discussed.
They disabled these alerts until many feedbacks according to @Paul.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not even gonna bother to try and figure out this new ui.. it's like somebody insulted me slap on face forcing me to waste my time..old np was perfect .this here is just unnecessary crap

I'll still come post here and there but post and reply will be the only 2 features I will use on this new np

tnx for ruining my np experience. au revoir

Hi Alcy. You know it ain't an easy job to upgrade a forum. Especially something as complex as NP's. I know how you feel. But I would give them some more time. Make suggestions. I think their heart is in the right place. I hope :) Besides. Where else are you going to go? This is by far the biggest forum of it's kind. I feel much like you. Frustrated. I'm coping. But only just. I've got my old routine basically figured out. The problem for me is the marketplaces are in such a mess. Simply reproducing the mess from the past, really isn't good enough. They need an overhaul. With segmentation between tlds. Not all bundled into the same forums. They also need to get rid of all the closed threads in those marketplaces IMMEDIATELY. The only two sections I watch are Domain Industry News and General Domain Discussion main sections. I pretty much don't venture anywhere else. Am I enjoying the experience. Nope. Is this easier to navigate? Nope. But clicking on Forums in the menu basically gives me all I need to do what I come here for. I don't pity the job of those whose job it is to upgrade these forums. It's a tough job. They are doing their best to cope with peoples needs. If you want my opinion, I think have done a reasonably good job with the upgrade. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it what I would like? Nope. But I am sure, over time, it will be like the old NP's. For me personally. I would have completely dispensed with the old theme, from the 1990's. But that was probably too much for this first step. IMHO. I am enjoying the dark theme with the wide screen. A lot :)

Last edited:
•••
Hi Alcy. You know it ain't an easy job to upgrade a forum. Especially something as complex as NP's. I know how you feel. But I would give them some more time. Make suggestions. I think their heart is in the right place. I hope :) Besides. Where else are you going to go? This is by far the biggest forum of it's kind. I feel much like you. Frustrated. I'm coping. But only just. I've got my old routine basically figured out. The problem for me is the marketplaces are in such a mess. Simply reproducing the mess from the past, really isn't good enough. They need an overhaul. With segmentation between tlds. Not all bundled into the same forums. They also need to get rid of all the closed threads in those marketplaces IMMEDIATELY. The only two sections I watch are Domain Industry News and General Domain Discussion main sections. I pretty much don't venture anywhere else. Am I enjoying the experience. Nope. Is this easier to navigate? Nope. But clicking on Forums in the menu basically gives me all I need to do what I come here for. I don't pity the job of those whose job it is to upgrade these forums. It's a tough job. They are doing their best to cope with peoples needs. If you want my opinion, I think have a reasonably good job with the upgrade. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it what I would like? Nope. But I am sure, over time, it will be like the old NP's. For me personally. I would have completely dispensed with the old theme, from the 1990's. But that was probably too much for this first step. IMHO. I am enjoying the dark theme with the wide screen. A lot :)

I'm sure there were ways to change or add some useful things without basically modifying 99percent of ui

I'm all about simple and efficient..plus if it's not broken dont fix it.. and this new ui simply isn't more efficient or better than old one.

it is an awful overdone experience.

we are all here smart enuf to know u dont need to demolish whole house if u just wanna add a new window or hide an old one.

•••
I'm sure there were ways to change or add some useful things without basically modifying 99percent of ui

I'm all about simple and efficient..plus if it's not broken dont fix it.. and this new ui simply isn't more efficient or better than old one.

it is an awful overdone experience.

we are all here smart enuf to know u dont need to demolish whole house if u just wanna add a new window or hide an old one.

I understand how you feel. I'm sure there are many that feel the same as you. Me for one. I look upon this as the first tentative steps to a better experience down the road. I think demolishing the whole house is rather strong. Most of the stuff has been reproduced. But you have to remember, we have been used to the old NP's for 18 or more years. Trying to bring that into the 21st century is a huge task. Which cannot be done overnight. OK. I've said my piece. And will leave it at that. Have always enjoyed you being here. And hope the interface changes enough for you to stay.

•••
Initially I thought that all this java bloated nightmare we're now in (sorry to say this, nothing personal, the staff and techs must be working hard to fix, no doubts) is caused by another version of the forum software ONLY. To some extend, it is. Indeed, for example, xenforo developers could never imagine that a licensee would use their product as a sales platform / marketplace, to such an extend that there would be almost separate userbases for regular discussions and for sales... etc...

However, I checked other forums using the same backend and learned that it IS possible to configure xenforo2 making it usable.... Some fresh air:

https://forum.parallels.com
https://forums.cpanel.net
https://linux.org/forums/
https://talk.plesk.com
https://mrantifun.net

So, many of unwanted "improvements" can still be fixed.

Last edited:
•••
I must inform of the following:
1) credential stuffing attacks are currently possible. I logged in with wrong pw but I don't see any 🐈😾cha
2) voting is now possible for the sales threads. It wasn't before. Abuse is imminent.

•••
It is the same like to accept Sedo UI...
Time doesn't heal...

•••
I'm sure the development team will roll out a lot of small improvements pretty soon. They are power users of this forum themselves, and most certainly experience the same annoyances as well. The main upgrade to the new forum software was a monumental task, and technically for a large part invisible to the end-users. Now that it's done, it's time to further improve and fine-tune UI and UX.

Last edited:
•••
Yeh the reactions/likes thing and not getting notified on them is definitely odd, as Mugford pointed out they are often (for me) the catalyst on a thread revisit or not, even there isn't new replies at least it shows interest and could propel further thought.

Lets bring it back. I think Paul mentioned though, it was a bug? Or maybe the instant "like" notifications were a bug? Well if that's a bug, I say change it to a feature.

•••
What in tarnations is this? I posted in a discussion thread, and got this alert immediately afterwards:

weird-alert.jpg

•••
I'll be honest I am not loving the new layout - I think my personal engagement on the site has been much lower since the update.......not just post volume, but thanking people for their posts and liking good or enjoyable content......
What in tarnations is this? I posted in a discussion thread, and got this alert immediately afterwards:

Show attachment 203665
I had this as well on a thread - The last post had been a few weeks before mine, to be fair Namepros sorted it out pretty quickly and the thread got bumped.....

Last edited:
•••
I don't know how the Mods can prevent all the malicious down votes (or all the undeserved up votes).
Complete prevention is impossible, but it's also unnecessary. The goal is detection and removal, which fortunately can happen at any point, even months after the abuse took place.

In the member's Feedback page, where it shows every feedback received, now you cannot see who is the seller and the buyer. I think that before they could be differentiated, by seller or buyer.
The feedback on John's profile is feedback for John.

If you want to see feedback that John has left for other people, then there is a "Find all feedback by John" option under the "Find" button on his profile.

But I'm seeing all the closed auctions listed in the domain auctions threads. Whereas in the old NP's these were removed. Is this something that you are aware of and are fixing.
Yes.

Is there no way to filter bargains from auctions from bin etc, in the buy section anymore?
What happened to notifications you would get for likes, thanks, agree, etc?
Coming soon.

credential stuffing attacks are currently possible. I logged in with wrong pw but I don't see any 🐈😾cha
Credential stuffing is possible on every website with standard authentication; it is impossible to avoid it. However, there are ways to make it more difficult and lessen the damage caused by it, which NamePros does as good of a job at it as any website. Learn more.

As far as you logging in with the wrong password, that is not credential stuffing, and more importantly: no, you didn't.

I posted in a discussion thread, and got this alert immediately afterwards:

weird-alert.jpg
This was an accident and should be fixed shortly.

Thanks for letting us know.

•••
credential stuffing attacks are currently possible. I logged in with wrong pw but I don't see any 🐈😾cha
Credential stuffing is possible on every website with standard authentication; it is impossible to avoid it. However, there are ways to make it more difficult and lessen the damage caused by it, which NamePros does as good of a job at it as any website. Learn more.

As far as you logging in with the wrong password, that is not credential stuffing, and more importantly: no, you didn't.
If you meant to write that you entered the wrong password first and then you were able to enter your correct password without a CAPTCHA, then:
  1. You wrote that very poorly. Are you intentionally trying to misrepresent what happened?
  2. Requiring a CAPTCHA after a single invalid password attempt for everyone is not going to increase security in any meaningful way, but it will frustrate a lot of genuine people trying to login to their own accounts.
  3. NamePros.com requires a CAPTCHA when appropriate, as determined by industry-leading security professionals. That may be after a single invalid password attempt if your first attempt is deemed high risk.

•••
@Bravo Mod Team
Hey Team, is it normal that you don't see like (or any reaction) notifications of your posts?

On a separate note (this didn't exist in the previous version too) - it would be cool to have a possibility to set up the order in which you want threads. For example, the possibility to set up once and for all if you want the latest threads to be on top of the list, without going to this filter every time you are watching the new section.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back