IT.COM

NamePros is back ... so what exactly did happen?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Nice to see NamePros back, and, at the moment, is running very fast too.

From what I recall, that was about the 3rd or so extended downtime this year. So what exactly did happen?

In the future during downtime, it would be greatly helpful to post announcements far and wide, including on other forums, such as DNF, and/or redirecting to a maintenance page with a brief explanation of what's happening.

Anyways, great to see NamePros back, and hope it stays up :)

Ron

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
good to see NP up again:)

•••
The last two days were pretty worse.. missed NamePros.. Glad its up :D

•••
Welcome back.

DDOS attack on Friday, our host said we were getting a 1 GB per sec of traffic hitting us. I wish I could have gotten us back up sooner.

Updates were posted on Facebook on my profile and the NamePros page. I feel a little weird posting updates on other forums.

•••
•••
DDOS attack on Friday, our host said we were getting a 1 GB per sec of traffic hitting us. I wish I could have gotten us back up sooner.

Let me guess, the host / colo null-routed the other IP and said hope for the best / wait it out. Honestly, often that's about all a host / colo will do unless one is prepared to spend a mint. DDOS is the most vexing problem in regards to hosting to deal with, especially for a highly dynamic site.

In the future, what may help to mitigate a DDOS attack is setting up a NamePros homepage on the home (www) domain on its own IP(s), that can be made static as needed, and putting the forums on their own sub-domain / IP. Doesn't stop a DDOS, but at least provides a realistic way to keep up part of the site some of the time even during a severe attack. Also, very helpful in situations where the forums are undergoing routine maintenance.

Updates were posted on Facebook on my profile and the NamePros page. I feel a little weird posting updates on other forums.

What Facebook page - don't see a link to it anywhere, and the obvious Facebook url I tried seems to go to someone else's page?

Imho, nothing weird about posting site status on other similar forums and elsewhere - swallowing one's pride / being a little uncomfortable beats leaving people in the dark thinking the worst during an outage.

Anyways, thanks for the update and keeping NP running - greatly appreciated! :)

Ron

•••
Domagon, that's an excellent suggestion about spreading out on multiple IP addresses. We may need to do exactly that to prepare for future instances.

You are pretty much spot on about the host's response.

RJ

•••
Updates were posted on Facebook on my profile and the NamePros page.

And I kept refreshing your profile on Twitter for any update tweet :p

•••
YaY! NP is back

OK .... good to have NPs back.

•••
•••
•••
Dah! You're right I should have tweeted. Darn attacker caught us right as my family and I were leaving on an all-day drive our of state too.

Our Facebook group is at http://www.facebook.com/groups/4368158290/ I'm going to start a new page for us soon.

I was just chatting with Eric about some ideas about spreading out onto multiple IP addresses and sub-domains. Hopefully we are able to do this soon to mitigate future instances. Downtime sucks!!

RJ

•••
Welcome back.

Glad NPs is back ... don't feel weird about the other forums .... it leaves too much room for speculation and the NPs junkies (like me) go wondering around the cold streets. I almost got jumped and mugged over at DNF (j/k). :notme:

Domagon had your back and was pretty much spot on with the prediction. (That be a thinker) :gl:

•••
LOL nn! The timing was pretty horrible, but I know at least one person was able to go outside and get some sunlight and fresh air while we were offline. (Hi Michelle! :D)

•••
You know you're addicted to NamePros when you keep checking it even during a DDOS.

Glad to see it's finally up. Damn attackers...

•••
Glad NP is back, too.

I almost got jumped and mugged over at DNF (j/k). :notme:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised by the vitriol of some people. I mean, I understand not preferring one forum over another, or avoiding a forum altogether even - but it seems like some of the posters at DNF have a personal issue with NP. Their loss.

•••
Well it was bummer to see Namepros down for a little while, but the Internet world it can seem to be forever. But since you added Domaining.com script to NP, I went there to see what was going on, and sure enough there was an update about NP being down(at least I know it wasn't on my end with bad connection or something)

•••
LOL nn! The timing was pretty horrible, but I know at least one person was able to go outside and get some sunlight and fresh air while we were offline. (Hi Michelle! :D)

Haha first bit of sunlight I have seen and now look like a giant walking tomato :

•••
Same here glad to see the site back up!!

While checking on twitter for updates, someone was tweeting that the site had been sold and being routed to the (.tv) version.

I was like WTF?? LOL

•••
•••
Hey, It sure is nice to have NP back online! I really missed it.

RJ, I dont have a facebook but I tweeted you and others looking for some info about NP...I guess you dont use Twitter much. I really dont either but I figured I could find some info there. Since no one replied, I just made up my own story about what happened...

http://twitter.com/#!/TheDotStop/status/110362272752349184

Same here glad to see the site back up!!

While checking on twitter for updates, someone was tweeting that the site had been sold and being routed to the (.tv) version.

I was like WTF?? LOL

Sorry Acidz, lol :)

•••
May be some kids are playing with it... Or a competitor is doing it Just i m guessing...Some how np is back please take care of the things.

Sri

•••
In case you ever wondered what it looked like to see only yourself in the "Currently Active Users" bottom of the home page, it happened to me yesterday when I finally got logged on. Here's a screenshot:

59037788.jpg

•••
That's funny, you '0wned' the forum lol

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back