IT.COM

status-resolved NamePros are you mining? In background...

NameSilo
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
Your site borrowing my CPU to mine cryptocurrency..

upload_2018-3-14_21-48-58.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
This and similar effects may be minimized (if not eliminated) by dropping windows completely, especially win10. Mac is better, and with Linux or FreeBSD you are a God. Imagine that nobody is showing you recent "news", that you do not need to look where this or that button or menu are (as you'll place them exactly where you want), that you have full access to your desktop and its configuration, that your keystrokes are not sent to Bill Gates, and that "windows" itself - being untrusted application - will be run in a sandbox (as a virtual machine) when you need it. Start with Ubuntu or Linux Mint just to try, try various environments such as Gnome/KDE/XFCE/etc, and when you familiarize yourself - switch to Debian or Manjaro or anything else which may be longer to configure initially but is more poweful. Do not forget to install Firefox, ungoogled chromium, libre office (instead of microsoft office). Even bitcoin wallets are ready to use in Linux.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
@Premiums -

You appear to be using a developer version (Beta?) of your browser.

Browser bugs like that are common in early release versions.

Try using the latest stable version of Chrome. ;)

•••
You can use Microsoft TCPView - sysinternals to view servers connecting to your system. The tool is simple and will trace/list all Remote Addresses of incoming/outgoing connections on your system. More info here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

•••
I'll look into this. I'm not detecting anything unusual on my end, but we made some microdata optimizations last night that might be confusing Chrome.

•••
I noticed you're using Opera, not Chrome. I'm attempting to test it in Opera, but it's causing major issues with my graphics card. My CPU, disk, and GPU usage all skyrocket whenever I open it, even with no tabs open.

I'll continue to look into it, but you may want to consider switching to Vivaldi in the meantime. Opera was sold to a Chinese company a while back that hasn't done a great job maintaining it. Some of the old Opera developers split off to start Vivaldi. It's a pretty impressive project.

•••
I'll continue to look into it, but you may want to consider switching to Vivaldi in the meantime. Opera was sold to a Chinese company a while back that hasn't done a great job maintaining it. Some of the old Opera developers split off to start Vivaldi. It's a pretty impressive project.

Thank you for the tip.

•••
I fixed a subtle styling issue that was introduced in the update; see if it makes any difference. I still can't get anything to load in Opera. I think I'll need to try on a device without a discrete GPU.

NamePros does make requests in the background to update chat and alerts. When a tab is in the foreground, these requests occur about twice per second; once every five seconds or so for background tabs. They're very small, but they do use a little bit of CPU. Because of the way Task Manager works, it looks like it's continuously using CPU. We'll be replacing these with more battery-friendly service workers and web sockets at some point, but we still have a lot of members who use browsers that don't support those. (That's not to say the current implementation is battery unfriendly, but it's not as perfect as I'd like it to be.)

Last edited:
•••
Note: Those background requests on NamePros (to check if you have new alerts/messages) are negligible as far as your CPU is concerned. Any spikes or high CPU usage is the result of your browser doing something else (like a clean up) or browser bugs that are not specific to NamePros.

•••
just read that opera has browser mining blocker extension NoCoin built in and that may be the cause of high CPU usage, I was facing this problem for a few weeks after i added this extension on chrome and its all good now that i deleted it.

•••
No, NamePros is solely focused on domain names and has zero interest in cryptocurrencies. ;)

That is your browser and has nothing to do with us.

That explains why I haven't made any money in the cryptocurrency mining affiliate program.

:xf.wink::xf.laugh::ROFL:

•••
I don't get that screen.. meh, guess I'll die poor :angelic:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back