Domain Empire

Namecheap jumping on the bandwagon.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
There are plenty of Russians that only want peace in this world so why sanction them and put them in the same category as one man (Putin)?

What is Namecheap trying to achieve by doing this?

This is the latest email from NameCheap

Dear

Unfortunately, due to the Russian regime's war crimes and human rights violations in Ukraine, we will no longer be providing services to users registered in Russia. While we sympathize that this war may not affect your own views or opinion on the matter, the fact is, your authoritarian government is committing human rights abuses and engaging in war crimes so this is a policy decision we have made and will stand by.

If you hold any top-level domains with us, we ask that you transfer them to another provider by March 6, 2022.

Additionally, and with immediate effect, you will no longer be able to use Namecheap Hosting, EasyWP, and Private Email with a domain provided by another registrar in zones .ru, .xn--p1ai (рф), .by, .xn--90ais (бел), and .su. All websites will resolve to 403 Forbidden, however, you can contact us to assist you with your transfer to another provider.

Customer Support,
Namecheap

I think Namecheap need to think more carefully about this decision.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are plenty of Russians that only want peace in this world so why sanction them and put them in the same category as one man (Putin)?

What is Namecheap trying to achieve by doing this?

This is the latest email from NameCheap

Dear

Unfortunately, due to the Russian regime's war crimes and human rights violations in Ukraine, we will no longer be providing services to users registered in Russia. While we sympathize that this war may not affect your own views or opinion on the matter, the fact is, your authoritarian government is committing human rights abuses and engaging in war crimes so this is a policy decision we have made and will stand by.

If you hold any top-level domains with us, we ask that you transfer them to another provider by March 6, 2022.

Additionally, and with immediate effect, you will no longer be able to use Namecheap Hosting, EasyWP, and Private Email with a domain provided by another registrar in zones .ru, .xn--p1ai (рф), .by, .xn--90ais (бел), and .su. All websites will resolve to 403 Forbidden, however, you can contact us to assist you with your transfer to another provider.

Customer Support,
Namecheap

I think Namecheap need to think more carefully about this decision.

Imagine if they banned all US customers and customers in allied countries following the invasion of Iraq...

I agree it is not fair to punish ordinary Russians and it will only create further tensions.

•••
It is unfortunate that normal Russian citizens have to suffer for the actions of their belligerent president and leadership. The stock market, currency, and economy in general are collapsing. Russia is basically a worldwide pariah at the moment that no one wants to do business with.

I know the vast majority of people there and in Belarus don't support these actions.

As far as NameCheap goes, here is the main problem -

“Namecheap told its existing Russian customers that they need to move their services off of their platform immediately.”

and this –

“Russian IP addresses are being blocked from accessing the company’s website.”

Don’t really work together. How are customers supposed to move if they don’t have access to the website?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Like I've just posted elsewhere, let me repeat myself.

1. Why is this decision NOTpublished on namecheap’s website for record purposes?

2. What exactly is namecheap trying to achieve?

3. Any ICANN provision(s) for this type of action?

4. Can you right lawlessness with lawlessness?

5. Before outbound transfer, is namecheap ready to make refunds for domains with valid expiration dates or concerned customers must forcefully transfer at their own cost?

More questions than answers. IMO, this is irrational and void of common sense.

Lastly, concerned customers should report to ICANN and seek advice.

Last edited:
•••
It is unfortunate that normal Russian citizens have to suffer for the actions of their belligerent president and leadership. The stock market, currency, and economy in general are collapsing. Russia is basically a worldwide pariah at the moment that no one wants to do business with.

I know the vast majority of people there and in Belarus don't support these actions.

As far as NameCheap goes, here is the main problem -

“Namecheap told its existing Russian customers that they need to move their services off of their platform immediately.”

and this –

“Russian IP addresses are being blocked from accessing the company’s website.”

Don’t really work together. How are customers supposed to move if they don’t have access to the website?

Brad
I guess NC will be claiming some TLD's on the 6th xD

That's crazy though, I'm honestly surprised NameCheap would be doing this...

•••
That's very bad decision coming in from NameCheap. Totally unprofessional and bad for those Russians who're not at all involved by any means in this war.

If NameCheap is acting genuinely neutral, then why not ban a country who invades in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. However, I'm against banning user's account from any specific country due to political reasons. Why to mix politics with business/registrar policies!

•••
As one of those Ethnic Russian Ukranians who has been persecuted, I am completely dumbfounded by NameCheap... If they are worried about this invasion, why didn't they do anything about the last 8 years of genocide in Ukraine against minorities, or US government overthrows of Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, and I am sure I am missing a lot more.... or what about the human rights atrocities committed by Middle Eastern countries, both Arab and my fellow Jews in Israel.

Right now, UNLESS your business is directly impacted by sanctions, it is best to just stay silent. This earns them no business and loses them quite a bit more.

@Rob Monster please tell me you don't plan on doing something so stupid to make a political statement without all the facts.

Last edited:
•••
Thinking about it more... did NameCheap ban and halt doing business with every Arab from Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Afghanistan after September 11th? Cause you know... from this side... holding 90 million people accountable for the actions of 1 man.... seems a little racist and prejudiced on this end...

Much like I know that not every ethnic Ukranian is not a neo-Nazi/Fascist, not every Russian speaker is a dictator.

•••
Maybe ban the president and his advisors from registering a domain, but not Russians as a whole. To put restrictions on all Russians like they're in the same boat, bit harsh. IMO

You aren't achieving much by those restrictions, nor are you stopping Russian online businesses from functioning, because they'll happily move to a different registrar. It's more of a NameCheap moral decision, that adds some form of ethical standard to themselves. Fair enough, but in reality, it only causes an inconvenience with innocent customers that loved your service

Last edited:
•••
I was under the impression that internet do not take sides ...

•••
I actually haven't checked. Haven't the sanctions included not offering digital services to Russia?

Namecheap has a lot of Ukranian staff, completely understandable. Especially in the 2 cities that are getting heavily bombed at the moment by Russian missiles.

Last edited:
•••
terrible decision from Namecheap. No positives at all!

•••
As long as celebrities don't sing Imagine or We are the world. Traffic will be blocked internet will not work and won't be able to send funds regardless of how it is worded. It will be to stop people giving up locations and blocking trade revenue.

•••
Another reason to stay away from this company!

•••
Companies should become #depoliticized

We're tired of ill conceived messaging and policies coming out of companies on ANY political subject.

We don't need or want companies, governments, news orgs, or anyone else ramming opinions down our throats anymore!!!

•••
As one of those Ethnic Russian Ukranians who has been persecuted, I am completely dumbfounded by NameCheap... If they are worried about this invasion, why didn't they do anything about the last 8 years of genocide in Ukraine against minorities, or US government overthrows of Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, and I am sure I am missing a lot more.... or what about the human rights atrocities committed by Middle Eastern countries, both Arab and my fellow Jews in Israel.

Right now, UNLESS your business is directly impacted by sanctions, it is best to just stay silent. This earns them no business and loses them quite a bit more.

@Rob Monster please tell me you don't plan on doing something so stupid to make a political statement without all the facts.
So, the answer to your persecution is to take their territory by force? What do you think they should do, wrap it as a present? What will happen if mexican minorities will try to do the same thing in US or turkish minorities in Germany? This is coming from somebody who has family and friends in Ukraine, who are still minorities and they were not persecuted and never heard of it. Of course, every minority will want more rights for their communities, but you don't act like this.

Last edited:
•••
Namecheap has a lot of Ukranian staff, completely understandable. Especially in the 2 cities that are getting heavily bombed at the moment by Russian missiles.
True.

Last edited:
•••
Thinking about it more... did NameCheap ban and halt doing business with every Arab from Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Afghanistan after September 11th? Cause you know... from this side... holding 90 million people accountable for the actions of 1 man.... seems a little racist and prejudiced on this end...

Much like I know that not every ethnic Ukranian is not a neo-Nazi/Fascist, not every Russian speaker is a dictator.
Afghans are Afghans, not Arabs, but I know what you mean. Frankly that's what I keep thinking about, now this company is banning by nationality, what's next, by race? or by ethnicity? or maybe even by religion?

I get that many of their staff are Ukrainians, I can't imagine the terror they're living, I hope they are all safe & remain safe.

But this company isn't the government, mass punishment of ordinary Russians isn't the way to go.

imo

Last edited:
•••
That's why this is not the right approach. Now those against Putin's actions will start thinking "aaah see, they're trying to destroy Russia, they're trying to ruin our lives, so he must be right doing what he's doing"

If they had them, they'll lose them by disrupting their businesses & taking away their livelihood like that.

Last edited:
•••
That's why this is not the right approach. Now those against Putin's actions will start thinking "aaah see, they're trying to destroy Russia, they're trying to ruin our lives, so he must be right doing what he's doing"

If they had them, they'll lose them by disrupting their businesses & taking away their livelihood like that.
That is exactly the way I feel. Some people will probably think maybe Putin has a point after all. Maybe the West (whatever that means) is indeed out to get Russia. Maybe they don't want us to be a member of the global club. Not the way to move forward in my opinion.

•••
I just transferred over 100 of my domains out of NameCheap after their racist actions. I am American, but will never support any company that discriminates against a group of people. Innocent people are not government nor their leaders. NameCheap can crash and burn for all I care now.

•••
They also don't provide live support now due to the war.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 69
•••
•••
I just transferred over 100 of my domains out of NameCheap after their racist actions. I am American, but will never support any company that discriminates against a group of people. Innocent people are not government nor their leaders. NameCheap can crash and burn for all I care now.
That's exactly what I am thinking; transferring out my domains.

Who knows what they'll think of next. Stay safe y'all.

Last edited:
•••
That's exactly what I am thinking; transferring out my domains.

Who knows what they'll think of next. Stay safe y'all.
don't invade any country and you will be fine, I guess

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back