Domain Empire

Namecheap $0.98 Black Friday & Cyber Monday Specials Disappointment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

consumerwise

Impact
I got excited when I received the email from Namecheap about their upcoming Thanksgiving Specials, only to be bitterly disappointed when the time came to take advantage of the discount coupons.

On Black Friday, I tried to transfer five of my domains to them, but only three worked.
They automatically cancelled 2 which I was transferring from InternetBs saying that the EPP code were incorrect.
If the EPP was incorrect, why not give me an option to correct them instead of just cancelling the transfer and making me miss the deal?

I assumed that I was the one who made the mistake and therefore re-tried when the transfer deal was on on Cyber Monday.
Then as I was trying to double check the EPP codes, I realised that their system did not capture the full EPP code; it only captured 20 characters maximum.
So I had to go to my InternetBs account and reduced the codes before re-submitting them again, because InternetBs allows you to modify the codes.
However, while doing this, which took no more than 3-5 minutes, they had cancelled my coupon from the cart and I could no longer take advantage of the Cyber Monday deal.
Why not make it clear to customers that they only took 20 characters maximum?

Moreover, I also noticed that just before the next transfer deals (at $0.98/transfer), they did display a $5.99 transfer offer on the same page, which for me was a bit out of order.
They must have known that some people would miss, and that they will then be going for that offer.
But since another $0.98 deal was coming in the next few hours, why try to trap customers in this manner?

I also tried to take advantage of the domain registrations at $0.98 but never could get the shopping cart to work.
It never registered my domains, due to server slow loadings and time-outs, telling me 'Sorry, we cannot process your request' several times.
I gave up trying.

I used to like Namecheap, but after this, they have lost a lot of points in my book.

I do like good deals as anyone else, but make it work properly and normally.
Do not make it unnecessarily painful to me as a customer.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree about the slow site and errors. NAmecheap was aware of the problems and they added capacity and I was able to get a 98 cent domain on black friday. At least you were able to take advantage of a couple cheap transfers :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back