Dynadot

NameBright won't let me verify my WHOIS contact details

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Restricted (Market)
Impact
So I recently had to verify my WHOIS contact details with NameBright. This is usually very straight forward with other registrars but apparently not with NameBright. In addition to having to click the link in my email to verify the details (as required by ICANN) they want to send a SMS message to the phone number provided.

Not only is this unnecessary and not required by ICANN but it simply does not work unless you use a number with text message capabilities. Using a business VOIP line I do not have access to send or receive SMS which means I am being prevented from verifying my domain. I contacted support and this was their response:

Hello,

It looks like the phone number on file needs to be verified. I'm going to send a text message from my end with a 6-digit code to the phone number on file (###-###-####) that you will use to verify your domain with link provided in the text message. Please let me know if you don't receive the text message. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to receive the text message.

Thank you,
Fred
NameBright Support

Which does nothing as as I mentioned in my email to them my phone does not support SMS....:banghead:

Apparently I should just stop buying domains though Dropcatch....

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not even a Google voice free number? I get text all the time. Might be time for a number from a company I use Sonetel. A paid one

•••
Because clearly the biggest problem here is my choice is phone provider....:ROFL: I mean I could just put my cellphone number and problem solved but I don;t want my personal cell phone in WHOIS, I got a number specific for my domains.

•••
You can actually go into you NB account contact details to change the phone number without having to change the number on the individual domain in question, request the verification again, and it should arrive. I helped a client with this last week.

•••
You can actually go into you NB account contact details to change the phone number without having to change the number on the individual domain in question, request the verification again, and it should arrive. I helped a client with this last week.

Thanks for the help. I was able to get it resolved now. I still don't understand why any company would make this process harder than it has to be but at least its solved now.

•••
Thanks for the help. I was able to get it resolved now. I still don't understand why any company would make this process harder than it has to be but at least its solved now.

I agree they should add some instructions to the verification email to avoid any delays or frustrations. My client unknowingly blocked the text verification by adding a 1-800 number.

It's not a huge deal in my opinion, just needs to be explained.

•••
It's not a huge deal in my opinion, just needs to be explained.

My point is it is unnecessary as ICANN only required email verification. So why do it at all? It is pointless and causes more problems than anything else.

•••
I still don't understand why any company would make this process harder than it has to be but at least its solved now.
Because they are huge and not giving a flying fuсk to their clients.

•••
Because they are huge and not giving a flying fuсk to their clients.

Can't argue with that. Which is why as soon as the 60 day lock is up I ain't keeping any domains there, they will be transferred to Epik.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back