IT.COM

opinion My personal experience with .tech

NameSilo
Watch
For what it is worth, here is my personal end user experience with .tech

When the .tech extension first came out I was excited. Being a computer programmer, and getting my first computer back in 1989 at age 7 (IBM XT 8088 with a green monochrome screen) – I jumped on to my registrar and β€œpre-reserved” a pile of them. When the registry finally released the extension I was disappointed to see I missed the majority of them during pre-registration or the registry deciding they were premium.

In the end I picked up a couple, and as a IT person I registered one to use as my professional business site and email. It is short, easy to remember (I thought) and perfectly described my services.

To my disappointment – reality set in quickly. Whenever speaking to a client in person or on the phone I have found it is very difficult for them to understand the domain.

β€œis that .tec?”
β€œI sent you an email and I never received response.” (in the end I find out they were sending to .pech :-/)
β€œwhat?"
β€œso that is ####.tech.com?”

I find myself needing to explain my address to each person I give it to. β€œMy email is ### at ####.tech. That is T-E-C-H. T as in Technician or Technology. Dot Tech. There is no dot com after dot tech. That is just like the dot COM but it is dot TECH.” And then they say oooooohhhk. I think I got it.

If you look on NameBio you will see that .tech is not available from their drop down. I contacted them and they say that dropdown is dynamically filled out so as soon as there is a reported sale over $100 then it will show up.

For this reason I do not believe this extension will ever make it, sadly. There may be some end user sales in the end – but I believe the end user will be seeking a .com to replace the .tech if they rely on the radio test or trying to explain the address to someone in person. If it is not a clickable link, or a reply to an email, the typical internet user out there just can’t grasp this one.

Just my 2 cents - for what they are worth. Sorry for anyone heavily invested in these. I am not trying to start an argument, just giving my experience as an end user of one.

-Mike

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To add... There are two factors going on here.

One is the average person learning about new extensions. I am ok with educating people on this one.

But the main thing that makes it a hard domain extension to use for business is that the average person doesn't think tech. They don't type or see the word technology everyday, so when you say "dot tech" they can't quickly understand the address without an explanation and it being spelled out for them. Even in this case sometimes I find they walk away from the conversation without understanding me correctly.

•••
Thank you for sharing your experience. At least you've been brave enough to try it in the real world. I think the vast majority of domainers here wouldn't take their own medicine, instead they rely on the greater fool theory.

Some domainers say that the radio test is overrated if you don't do a lot of advertising, because end users will find you through search engines or word of mouth - and then bookmark you.
I don't think they have any experience running a business.
I get office calls too.
It's already hard enough to spell an E-mail address over the phone, even when your domain name is in .com. At least everybody expects the ending to be .com or .ccTLD. Predictable. When it something else, the difficulties begin as demonstrated above.

Of course, this story applies to most other extensions. I remember a similar story here at NP, even though they had a .co printed on fliers, people would keep flocking to .co.uk because they assumed it was a typo.

The TLD may have some merits but the lack of awareness from consumers is overwhelming and can't be discarded so easily.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe those (understandable) problems will be reduced after I sold my techtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtech.tech (15 times 'tech' / dot tech / most possible 'tech' in a .tech domain / 60 characters) - at least for those which will get attention of this sale in some way - and I think if I will sell it, it have chances to go viral.

•••
.technology at least has 3 sales listed on NB.

It's sad that the general public has no idea that most, if not all, of the new tlds even exist at all.

No marketing is being done for the new gtlds to the public.

At least Godaddy is one registry that is out there promoting domains. I don't think their commercials talk about the new gtlds though. I'll have to watch more closely next time I see one.

•••
.technology at least has 3 sales listed on NB.

It's sad that the general public has no idea that most, if not all, of the new tlds even exist at all.

No marketing is being done for the new gtlds to the public.

At least Godaddy is one registry that is out there promoting domains. I don't think their commercials talk about the new gtlds though. I'll have to watch more closely next time I see one.

Rightside, Donuts, Radix and Unregistry are doing a decent job promoting GTLDs. What about ICANN? With those millions of dollars which ICANN made from GTLD auctions and approvals, they should lead the marketing efforts!. I wonder WTF they are doing with all those money.

•••
As long as end users don't need a domain, more promoting / marketing through registries would primarily just boost up the registrations from speculative domainers - but it wouldn't boost up end sales.

Every end user who needs a domain these days will recognize the multiple possibilities, latest at the time in which he start searching a domain - because there is no major registry which isn't offering new TLDs already.
So he will also know .tech - but this 'simply doesn't help' as long as he don't need a .tech domain.

The main awareness of new TLDs is growing in relation to the end need of them.

And equal which new TLD - the best 'marketing' which can happen, is, if it is in permanent end use by a well known brand / company / person.

Last edited:
•••
Most of the gtlds will not have any sense to end users. only those which are very generic extensions have chance to survive.

•••
Maybe those (understandable) problems will be reduced after I sold my techtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtech.tech (15 times 'tech' / dot tech / most possible 'tech' in a .tech domain / 60 characters) - at least for those which will get attention of this sale in some way - and I think if I will sell it, it have chances to go viral.

i think it will be better if you put 'top' between tech, it could double the value of your .tech domain :)

•••
i think it will be better if you put 'top' between tech, it could double the value of your .tech domain :)
The clearer the pattern of a domain the better.
My 'techtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtech.tech' domain is already perfect and the value couldn't be higher.
So in this case 'top' would not be helpful - but thanks for your well intentioned suggestion.

•••
The clearer the pattern of a domain the better.
My 'techtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtech.tech' domain is already perfect and the value couldn't be higher.
So in this case 'top' would not be helpful - but thanks for your well intentioned suggestion.
@kingof.top you make me stutter :ahhh:

•••
I find myself needing to explain my address to each person I give it to. β€œMy email is ### at ####.tech. That is T-E-C-H. T as in Technician or Technology. Dot Tech. There is no dot com after dot tech. That is just like the dot COM but it is dot TECH.” And then they say oooooohhhk. I think I got it.

Was the same with developed .mobi domains - incomprehension and close to zero memorability. The handicap was not worth the promised benefits, I moved any mobi site to another domain even though it was not com.

This talk about promotion and consumers developing awareness of new TLDs is another .mobi rerun - I don't think it can succeed and no one would spend the money anyway, and it did not work with .mobi. They even sold premium domains with a requirement to develop them or lose them - probably why dating.mobi and debt.mobi are still around. Just did not hook the public.

•••
'tech' is the first four letters of the word 'technology' and 'technical' and is an abbreviation of both.

After years of branding variations of 'tech', English speaking consumers came accustomed to many versions all which sound the same most notably 'tek' and 'tec'.

As long as .tec and .tek are not released then I think it's only a matter of time for the public to become aware of this extension and remember its correct spelling, the tech-savvy people first.

•••
It's always the same problem. After 20 years of Internet people are used to predictability, they expect that a domain name will always end in .com, ccTLD or possibly .net .org etc. Anything else becomes challenging ("is this a real/legit URL ?"). Thus all new extensions start at a disadvantage. What makes things worse is the existence of redundant/overlapping TLDs. A good example is that we already have .photo, .photos and .photography. Seriously.
Even if people understand new extensions, there is a chance that they will not remember the TLD correctly. They might even land on a competing website. Why not. If you don't secure singular/plural you are taking a chance. Nice job Icann.

•••
Thanks for sharing Michael!

•••
hey,
When I heard about the .tech extension, I was really excited because of the industry that it actually represent.
I strongly believe that .tech will do good because of the age in witch we are and the revolving technologies that are spurting everywhere around.
I am convince that many tech operating companies having .com will get the corresponding .tech domain to strengthening their online presence.
Many of them would like to follow the example of Google.tech, amazon.tech, ebay.tech apple.tech and so one...
Nevertheless, it is no use to market a .WTF or .BAND to a medical company or enduser; so try also to target the right appropriate enduser who operates in your domain extension field.
This will save you from extensive explanation about the domain extension you are marketing or talking about.
No matter what, ".Com" will always hold and increase in reputation.
The only way to be unique, is to have a .Com

•••
In general public only remembers left side of the dot because right side they always think .COM

•••
I'm not sure of this rumors; men only used his right brain or left brain? So therefore there is some dis functional; when it come to remembering things or making a decision. On the other side; women uses left and right brain. So women have more advantages when it comes to decisions making and remembering things. In the domains name scenario; if you can not remember your domain extension or you is having trouble rembering it; then you might be considered as a man. Then the other is vise versa. I'm not a man, I have sharp memory; and can remember things very well..

•••
On the other side; women uses left and right brain. So women have more advantages when it comes to decisions making and remembering things.
Exactly. Women always remember and criticize all the decisions of men. :lookaround:

•••
•••
Big changes need much time to happen. It's simple, isn't it?

•••
Thanks for sharing mate. I think you have brought up a very interesting topic here.... we as domainers and Internet marketers or generally tech savy people sometimes take it for granted that eveyone would understand the way a domain name works and that when we say (dot)TLD that most people would understand that the part after the (dot) is the domain name. Sadly it's not the case, the general population still isn't as clued up as we assume they are. I mean I still get people asking me "is that all lower case?" when I give them my email address or a URL over the phone.... lol. I have to hold my tongue and just say "Yes, all lower case" instead of saying what I really want to say...... which would be more along the lines of "WTF??? have u been living under a rock for the past 10 years??? have u not figured out yet that email addresses and URL's are NOT case sensitive" :)

•••
•••
•••
Exactly. Women always remember and criticize all the decisions of men. :lookaround:
I disagree, not all. But I know, and I have met people that they think they know everything. And these are men or women. ..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back