IT.COM

My new registered domain name is a trademarked Drug product

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sdep777

Restricted (85-100%)
Impact
I bought the domain name and found out it was a prescription medication , was not planning on using the name for a drug product something entirely unrelated to that industry, seems to me it should be legally my .com domain since i registered it, the drug company did not register it , they certainly had plenty of time to register it.

maybe I will sell it to them

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Better to read some of the Trademark-related threads here on the forum before even thinking of selling the domain to them

•••
exactly that is what to be done. And keep in mind in future to buy such domains only which you think can be sold or have great capability. Buying and keeping engage domains that are not that good , can result in a loss

•••
The drug company had plenty of time to register that name, those names are not approved overnight by the FDA, it is a very long process for a NEW product.

I don't have to use that name and if they wanted it I would sell it, but prefer to keep it

It was just purchased and is on the 60 day hold period, which is a pain in the neck

wish there were some way around that 60 day hold period ,it is ridiculous.

Actually that would make an interesting thread, will have to look and see if that has been discussed , I would imagine lots on that subject

Last edited:
•••
Go ahead and keep it if it's that important to you.
Just don't park it or try to monetize in anyway, shape or form related to the drug.
Also, if you are going to keep it, why worry about the 60 day hold, which by the way is for your own protection.
If you try to sell it to them, you might want to bring along a suitcase full of money.
You'll see why later on.

Peace,
Cyberian

Last edited:
•••
Well I will not try to sell it, but if they want to buy it , I would sell it to them and a suitcase full of cash would be fair.

Personally I think some drug Co. dropped the ball on registering for a domain name, they got it trademarked, but that should not give them absolute rights to a name that can be used for other businesses products etc.

Also I would think it would be much cheaper to buy me off than to hire an Attorney to try and scare me out of it. ( I'm Divorced I've already been through Hell & back ) Not afraid of threats period.

•••
seems to me it should be legally my .com domain since i registered it, the drug company did not register it , they certainly had plenty of time to register it.

maybe I will sell it to them

That's not how it works. Most drug names are "brandables"... unique words. In such case you probably cannot simply say you are using name (example Cymbalta) for something else. You would likely lose it in UDRP filing.

On the "suitcase full of cash" I'd be careful. It sounds very much like you now recognize value of this name to the mark holder, and wish to "cybersquatt" the name.

•••
Btw. UDRP is cheap, and they likely do not have to pay anything for an attorney as they already have many on salary. Just guessing but suspect that'll be correct.

Last edited:
•••
it is a 12.00 domain name , name happens to be a trademarked prescription drug, if it was that important or valuable am pretty sure they would of secured the domain name....

•••
they likely do not have to pay anything for an attorney as they already have many on salary

...many of whom are looking for something to do.

if it was that important or valuable am pretty sure they would of secured the domain name....

That's what I said when they pulled me over for driving around in some guy's car. He left it outside his house with the door unlocked and the keys in the ignition! I don't know how that stupid judge called it car theft - the guy practically gave it away!

•••
Because they own the trademark does that translate to having an "entitlement" to the domain name ? Especially if that name has not been registered it should be available to use as something unrelated to the trademarked product category by anyone . I think maybe ALL trademarked names should be posted and not offered for sale by the Governing body for a certain period of time giving the morons who own the trademarked name time to wake up and spend 12.00

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back