Domain Empire

discuss "MY" at the start of a domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The domain myworld.com sold for $1,200,000 last week .

Whats the thoughts of NP Members of the value of "MY" at the start of a domain names

Cheers

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think "our" + keyword is better than "my" + keyword.
Depends on the usage I suppose. 'Our' wouldn't be better if myworld ends up as a 'personal web page' kind of site.

•••
The domain myworld.com sold for $1,200,000 last week .

Whats the thoughts of NP Members of the value of "MY" at the start of a domain names

Cheers

The 'MyWorld.com' sale is one of those freak occurrences that ironically happen quite often in the domain universe.
'MyWorld.com' could have very well sold for anywhere in the vicinity of $100,000 and still be considered a decent sale.
This only goes on to show that a domain name is as valuable as the perfect suitor it has managed to get its hooks into, one who is willing to go the extra mile for it acquisition.

•••
i picked up M y G l o c a l . com a little while ago... waiting for the right buyer

•••
It does not work with all keywords.
But makes sense with niche like
MyMoney, MyTravel..
I agree. I own mytravelclips.com which is to be developed into a kida YouTube for vids from people's vacations and stuff like that. But MY as a start is not always a good thing.

•••
I have two 'my' domains, both crypto blockchain related. Also have one 'world' domain; american-world.com shame about the hyphen though :xf.frown:

MyWorld is a great domain though not surprised at the value. It has awesome potential!

•••
MyWorld is a great domain though not surprised at the value. It has awesome potential!
That's what I thought. Judging by the price paid and the imprint on the holding page, it looks to have big funding behind it. I wonder if it's going to be launched as a rival to facebook or myspace, but with a more individual "my web presence" kind of feel? The name would be perfect for that.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Pretty high price for a my domain.

Another surprisingly high one was myconcierge.com for 87k in 2015 - it's a live site for visitors to the UAE, maybe they had deep pockets.

Most of the high my- domain sales are not that recent as you can see at namebio: https://namebio.com/?s==kDO3kDM4QTM - you could ask if my is getting less popular or less valuable.

•••
myworld is in a different league to most other 'my' domain names.

•••
•••
Short and easy to remember and I think it gets instant credibiity
if you add it in front of 2 word .com, they can sometimes be free to reg.
Instead of paying big money you add my as prefix and its almost as good
if not better!?
gives the generic domain personality...

•••
•••
My rule of thumb is that My+Keyword.com is 1/20 to 1/200 of Keyword.com

So, for example, if news.com is worth $10MM, MyNews.com would be worth $50K to $500K range (the latter being a very motivated end user and the former - a reseller/investor).

In case of MyWorld, probably overpay even by standard of end user, because world.com would hardly sell for $24MM+.

I use the same rule for The+Keyword.com too, as well as word+ing...

•••
Isnt "my" the most popular prefix according to the study from lean names, ahead of "the" and "web" and very far ahead from "our". Good luck finding names on that!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back