IT.COM

new gtlds Most selling new TLD in Aftermarket is .TOP

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Just about four years ago, .TOP was made available for registration by ICANN and as of Feb 2019, this new TLD has clocked over $7.2 Million in aftermarket sales, a staggering 200% more than .Club that stands at $2.4 Million as per the latest data on NameBio.
.TOP is the second most registered new gTLD ever. It has been enthusiastically adopted by small and large companies establishing themselves as a top brand in their industry including the likes of Amazon, Apple, Chanel, Google, Lego, Yahoo and more, who all have their brands registered in .TOP ...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for your detailed (and interesting) reply @Cyril.Best but my message was not about registrations (for .top and others they go up and down with discounting) or even to argue about the merits, or otherwise, of .top. It was rather to point out that you made statements about abuse in.top that were, in my opinion, not based on evidence (or worse contrary to evidence). I like .best a lot, but that is not the question, or even whether it is better or worse than .top.

I love that you are active here, and totally accept your enthusiasm for .best as something positive. What I don't like is when you venture into generalizations attacking other extensions that are not, in my opinion, supported by fact (actually I don't think they are wise for your company even if supported by evidence but particularly when not).

My goal in all things domains is to be open, fair and balanced. I am sure I fall short of that at times, as we all do. I know some prefer a more advocacy role, and that is their right, but all NPs users also have the right to read content that is accurate.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
🚩

.top doesn't need GoDaddy but it looks like GoDaddy needs .top because they have registered

godaddy.top

and use it actively as forwarderrr

I assume they (GoDaddy) simply fear a loss of their .com - business if they would offer it.
Or there are political reasons (.top CN / .com USA).

But anyway, I don't need GoDaddy as well, I prefer registrars that go with the timeee
Because not offering the world's #1 new TLD is like sleeping but I am sure they will wake up and then they will offer .top as well and then they will probably make more money with .top than with .commm

Last edited:
•••
[...] End of the game.
🚩

HAHAAHAAA

It's not the end of the game (?), its the beginninggg
And regarding the number of registrations: It's an up / down as @Bob Hawkes implied above, there will always be fluctuationnn
Time works like a filter, the "good" domain names will stayyy

.top is / does (way) better than .best and will do better than .commm

Last edited:
•••
One thing to keep in mind is that China is not a natural market.
Only approved extensions can be hosted within China. That's why they use China-based extensions like .top or .ren or .vip. But outside China proper the market is virtually nil.

•••
Thanks for your detailed (and interesting) reply @Cyril.Best but my message was not about registrations (for .top and others they go up and down with discounting) or even to argue about the merits, or otherwise, of .top. It was rather to point out that you made statements about abuse in.top that were, in my opinion, not based on evidence (or worse contrary to evidence). I like .best a lot, but that is not the question, or even whether it is better or worse than .top.

I love that you are active here, and totally accept your enthusiasm for .best as something positive. What I don't like is when you venture into generalizations attacking other extensions that are not, in my opinion, supported by fact (actually I don't think they are wise for your company even if supported by evidence but particularly when not).

My goal in all things domains is to be open, fair and balanced. I am sure I fall short of that at times, as we all do. I know some prefer a more advocacy role, and that is their right, but all NPs users also have the right to read content that is accurate.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comments and explanations.

And I am glad that you make the balance coz my goal is not to attack other extensions.

My goal is just to give to the community a real and objective overview of what is really this market from now on a registry side coz I think this is also important for domainers in their buying decisions.

Not just for .best, or .top or whatever other tld but in general.

My arguments are only based on data (not my datas) but external datas from the experts :

See by yourlself the phising activity trends report & comments for Q3 2018 from APWG :

phisingQ32018.jpg

And this what was already the situation that I described in 2016 :

phising2016.jpg

•••
🚩

Unfortunately, there will always be scammers and spammersss
But their bad activities will never have real futureee
We should always stay focused on the advantages of the world wide web and one of them is that criminals get sorted out by web security systems.

I can
proudly say that all my .top domain names are absolutely clean and of highest qualityyy

Another good news is, that .top is not listed in SPAMHAUS's list of the most abused TLDs.

Visit spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds to seee

Last edited:
•••
🚩

.top doesn't need GoDaddy but it looks like GoDaddy needs .top because they have registered

godaddy.top

and use it actively as forwarderrr

I assume they (GoDaddy) simply fear a loss of their .com - business if they would offer it.
Or there are political reasons (.top CN / .com USA).

But anyway, I don't need GoDaddy as well, I prefer registrars that go with the timeee
Because not offering the world's #1 new TLD is like sleeping but I am sure they will wake up and then they will offer .top as well and then they will probably make more money with .top than with .commm

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh : This time you killed me my friend - of laugh - literally ! I just hope Godaddy will read your quote one day. I will forward this to Tommy.

You are a sponsor of the .top - no problem with that, everybody is free to have its own business certitudes but in this business : Every single TLD needs godaddy !

Plus trust me, I know them pretty well, they don't fear anybody in this game simply coz they have one important asset better than any registry : They have the customers - I mean real customers !

I am not the advocate of godaddy but when you say that :

".top doesn't need GoDaddy but it looks like GoDaddy needs .top"

or

"Godaddy simply fear a loss of their .com - business if they would offer it"

It shows how completly out of the market you are.

Plus, you should learn that godaddy has registered all its trademark on all tlds. not only the .top

Its not to use it, it's to avoid any single bad guy to use it. It's protection !

See : godaddy.best, godaddy.online, ... those have a real forwarding usage.

All the .Best

CF

•••
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh : This time you killed me my friend - of laugh - literally ! I just hope Godaddy will read your quote one day. I will forward this to Tommy.

You are a sponsor of the .top - no problem with that, everybody is free to have its own business certitudes but in this business : Every single TLD needs godaddy !

Plus trust me, I know them pretty well, they don't fear anybody in this game simply coz they have one important asset better than any registry : They have the customers - I mean real customers !

I am not the advocate of godaddy but when you say that :

".top doesn't need GoDaddy but it looks like GoDaddy needs .top"

or

"Godaddy simply fear a loss of their .com - business if they would offer it"

It shows how completly out of the market you are.

Plus, you should learn that godaddy has registered all its trademark on all tlds. not only the .top

Its not to use it, it's to avoid any single bad guy to use it. It's protection !

See : godaddy.best, godaddy.online, ... those have a real forwarding usage.

All the .Best

CF
🚩

GoDaddy will read it for sureee
That's one reason why I posted it ;)

I can understand that you say "... in this business: every single TLD needs GoDaddy" as CEO of a TLD that cooperates with them but in fact it is not the case (that every single TLD needs them) and the proof for that is that .top made it to the world's #1 new TLD without GoDaddyyy

Of course I know that they are registering their brand name as domain name in many (but not all) TLDs (like many companies as you know for sure) to protect / secure it - but the point is that they are ACTIVELY USING their .top domain (godaddy.top) as a forwarder instead of just registering it and not using it... ...and this says it alll

What may look like sponsoring to you is in fact investing.
I am completely in the market but it is another market than the one that you or GoDaddy are in.
It is the .top market because I have a very high domaining goal...
...it is so high that it is the
highest and that's why I have to be better than best.

Well, regards best, to you and also to Tommyyy

Last edited:
•••
[...]
Another good news is, that .top is not listed in SPAMHAUS's list of the most abused TLDs.

Visit spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds to seee
🚩

CCCORRECTION

The SPAMHAUS - link that I posted, is not correct / does not work (error 404) because it does not have a "/" at the end but it works only with a "/" at the end - so here is the correct link (c/p):

spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

No .top in this list nonoonooo

Last edited:
•••
But outside China proper the market is virtually nil.

Why?
What will be my disadvantages if I develop a website on top extension, apart from popularity disadvantage of .top compared to .com?
Do you want to say. top websites are not or will not be accessible from certain locations of the World? If not, extension is just a detail. I can choose the extensions with low renewal fee. I don't see a major difference between extensions. Only .com is different as it's the most popular one. Technically all extensions are the same. Then I like to choose the ones with low renewal fee. Why should I care if the extension is China or US or another country based as long as I am allowed to register it?

Last edited:
•••
.TOP Registry can set ServerHold on your domain at any time and without any notification.
I already had such case with Adult keyword... and this domain was without any content... just parked on Sedo.

•••
All .top is blocked by professionals :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Good luckk

•••
Many fake sales in .top (and .xyz). Mostly this extension used by spammers because it is cheap.

•••
Why?
What will be my disadvantages if I develop a website on top extension, apart from popularity disadvantage of .top compared to .com?
You can use a .top domain, I'm just saying that the vast majority of users (and buyers) are in China.
One possible disadvantage is lower clickthrough because people are not familiar with the extension.
Technically speaking, it's one TLD like another...

.TOP Registry can set ServerHold on your domain at any time and without any notification.
I already had such case with Adult keyword... and this domain was without any content... just parked on Sedo.
Another example: https://www.namepros.com/threads/beware-top-registry-can-steal-your-domains.957560/

Indeed some TLDs do not allow adult etc.
Technically they are equivalent, but the terms are not the same everywhere so it's important to read the registration agreement.

Personally I would never take a chance with a Chinese extension.

•••
I already saw at least a few .TOP Adult domains which are offered for registration as Premiums...
So really strange/abnormal that they sell them and then block...
My domain was standard.

•••
All .top is blocked by professionals :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Good luckk
You are completely wrong, here are some .top websites

nebo.top
univer.top
bio.top
jizhijia.top
ugo.top
eav.top
quanye.top
budao.top
geeku.top

•••
•••
•••
How much does the spam even matter? It only makes the short, generic domains in your extension more valuable, assuming it's a popular and affordable extension like .top has managed to be, relatively.

If the best sales in your extension are consistently short names and generic one-word names - the way com/net/org/co are - then you'll have a better chance of standing out among the sea of new extensions, which .top evidently has. It's certainly better than your only public sale being "dishwasher" almost two years ago

•••

Do you know if this only has happened to adult names, or even other categories of names?

•••
Do you know if this only has happened to adult names, or even other categories of names?
At least to Adult.
Regarding other categories - I don't know exactly... but if your content is not suitable for China - 95% that such domains can be blocked regardless of they are Adult or not.

Last edited:
•••
Chinese .TOP registry also doesn't follow GDPR...
Nothing was changed since May'2018... WHOIS is completely visible as it was.

•••
At least to Adult.
Regarding other categories - I don't know exactly... but if your content is not suitable for China - 95% that such domains can be blocked regardless of they are Adult or not.

What about Fulan Gong site?

•••
Chinese .TOP registry also doesn't follow GDPR...
Nothing was changed since May'2018... WHOIS is completely visible as it was.
🚩

I am not 100 % sure on this at this time - but doesn't this depend on the registrar (not registry) and where they are based?
I believe China - based registrars are not obligated to follow GDPR as this is an european regulation and probably only valid for member states of the european unionnn

General Data Protection Regulation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

Regulation
(European Union)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_(European_Union)

Last edited:
•••
That is because most of the internet uses .com.
🚩

Sure - but after .top will have topped (caught up) .com in number of registrations, it will probably still be .com because spammers love .com as they are already used to ittt

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back