Domain Empire

new gtlds Most selling new TLD in Aftermarket is .TOP

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Just about four years ago, .TOP was made available for registration by ICANN and as of Feb 2019, this new TLD has clocked over $7.2 Million in aftermarket sales, a staggering 200% more than .Club that stands at $2.4 Million as per the latest data on NameBio.
.TOP is the second most registered new gTLD ever. It has been enthusiastically adopted by small and large companies establishing themselves as a top brand in their industry including the likes of Amazon, Apple, Chanel, Google, Lego, Yahoo and more, who all have their brands registered in .TOP ...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Chinese .TOP registry also doesn't follow GDPR...
Nothing was changed since May'2018... WHOIS is completely visible as it was.

Whois protection works correctly on .top domains. This argument is pointless.
As to GDPR, it protects EU citizens only, not the whole World.

•••
Yes, they are not obliged.
But, for example, American registries Donuts and Neustar follow GDPR for all their TLDs.

•••
So trust me, I am probably one of the few that know exactly the dark side of the registry part.

But I think we are entering a new era in the ngtlds, most of them are simply dying because their string have no value for the users or simply no potential usage.

Isn't it because they cost $1000's of dollars because the new registry owners are price hiking the lucrative domain names (they don't get them all) and basically killing off that extension.

•••
Thank you for posting the annotated screen shots from one of the APWG reports @Cyril.Best. It is interesting that it gives rather different results from Spamhous. I think the key reasons are the following:
  • It measures something different. It is measuring phishing only, while Spamhaus score indicates a number of types of abuse but is dominated by spam.
  • The APWG are based on tiny samples compared to Spamhaus. For example they note that their score for one of the top 10 ngTLDs (registration wise) is based on only a single phishing instance!
  • They do the stats differently. The score by APWG are done by comparing abuse to the total number of registrations, while Spamhaus do their stats by comparing to number of active websites. So domains simply parked do not enter into the stats.
For some reason their 2018 Q4 report link is not working (a more recent report than the Q3 one you used) but when I read it a few days ago I noted that it does not have .top in the abuse table you quoted for the Q3 one and actually says that abuse in .top is proportionately less than ngTLDs in general.

Abuse is important. It goes up and down. I wish all registries did all they could to control it. Of course the majority of phishing attempts are in .com for obvious reasons.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond in so much detail and with data.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back