NameSilo

information Most popular domain extensions for startups in Q2 2015

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
After analyzing 449 newly funded start-ups that raised a combined 5.2 billion dollars in funding during the first quarter of the year we’re back with a Q2 report which is based on 748 newly funded startups who raised a whopping 10.9 billion dollars in funding during the second quarter of this year. More data means even more accurate stats and facts and this report gives great insights in which domain name extensions are gaining traction among newly started companies across the globe. It wasn’t much of a surprise that .Com took the majority of the pie with 75.8 percent in Q1 and it was interesting to see the rise of the .io TLD in the beginning of the year. The big question of course remains how well the new gTLDs are performing. There’s been a lot of fluffy talk from some of the domaining bloggers about the potential potential (see what I did there?) of these new extensions but the only thing that counts in my opinion is actual adoption of the new extension by funded startups. Could it be that .tv beats all the new gTLDs combined in actual usage?
30805_eff1ff0a6dd5fa221641b1b0e31a3f3c.png
The king of TLDs remains it dominant position with pretty much the same percentage of ownership as in Q1, 75%. Most used by startups after .com are the country level extensions (ccTLDs) with 10.6% of the pie which is a 2 percent increase from Q1. Most used in the ccTLD group is .In by far. India’s startup scene is on fire with plenty of venture capital flowing in multiple startups every week. .Co and .Io are both losing a couple of percent market share but remain popular alternatives with a combined 7.7% of start-ups choosing for one the extensions.
Source

Attachments

• startupsq2.png
    startupsq2.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 18
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So all the new gtlds combined, couldn't even get 1% of the new startups.

.tv was being used more than all the new gtlds combined

.me was being used twice as much as all the new gtlds combined

•••
Thank you to @dv82 for publishing this brief. I'm interested in seeing how this continues to change in Q3 and Q4. I suspect we'll see a slight increase in new gTLDs being adopted by startups in subsequent quarters.

•••
Hello,
I really appreciate your effort for creating such platform where we can share our Ideas with each other. please keep posting like this.

•••
The .me and the .io extensions seem to be the only ones investable other than .com etc. The .io of course for tech startups and Bruce Marler has said .me will do very well-and he should know.

•••
Although we all know .Com is king...i particularly like .io which seem to be doing very well!

•••
Although we all know .Com is king...i particularly like .io which seem to be doing very well!
We own Cloudi.io perfect for the right tech startup. We'll see.

•••
I sort of feel like .IO is an, already dying, fad.

•••
I sort of feel like .IO is an, already dying, fad.
Hi Nick-actually .io is picking up steam if you look at startups in Europe but only time will tell. We own a few
Cloudi.io Scottsdale.io and some numerics etc so we'll see what happens.

•••
Look at all that .COM GREEN. :laugh:

•••
•••
I would of guessed without a chart dot com was gonna blow em away.

•••
•••
I've been quite happy with .IN's performance tbh.:D:D

Out with the old, in with the new- its inevitable.

•••
Nowadays people like to get domain extensions other than .com. Big brands are selection local extensions and .net extensions rather than .com extensions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back