Dynadot

question Monetize your domain name - Creating a website quickly and easily

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domain invest3r

Pinyin domains for saleEstablished Member
Impact
I have been thinking of how best to monetize my domain portfolio, concluding that developing "bog standard" low maintenance websites to sit on each worthwhile domain being the best idea. This also beats the effortless attempts which include parking or redirecting to a portfolio etc.

As such, do any fellow domainers have experience of doing this? If so, I would be interested in finding out:
  • what the best way of doing this was
  • what tools (wix or wordpress etc.) do you recommend
  • what templates do you recommend (granted this depends largely on the domain)
  • was it worth it
  • what income did you get (either from passive income or from eventual website sale)
  • what your strategy was
It is worth clarifying here that the goal is to generate modest income and interest with the eventual goal still being to sell the domain and not the website (i.e. not looking to create a website here, just putting domains to work). The key being low maintenance and self sustaining with little or no need for new content creation.

I hope this is useful for others. If a similar thread exists, apologies.

Cheers

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Develop things 100% that you have an interest in and keep domains you wanna sell on parking or sales pages. 500 automated sites producing income might have worked in 2002-2003 when I started but Google is smarter now. If the goal is a sale then make it known it's for sale as most buyers type in the domain they are looking to buy so development can make them miss it's for sale or think you would wan't too much money for the domain now.

Having an interest in a topic means development will continue so you'll have a good site. Automating development just to throw something on a domain means no interest or time is there so you'll have 500 stale no value sites. 10 good updated sites will produce more income than 500 automated feed sites that provide no original content.

The only way I would do quick development is if the goal is to flip on flippa etc... but even then most buyers will wan't traffic stats/ad revenue stats etc... so probably still do better picking your battles to develop over developing everything just for the sake of developing.

Personally I have quite a few domains fully developed and the rest 400-500 sit on domain sales pages. When I get caught up sometimes I'll look through my portfolio and see if anything else deserves to be fully developed but that determination isn't just can I develop it as can develop quite a few things but it also includes am I the right guy to develop it with knowledge on the topic of the domain as that's the only way you won't lose interest in it. And if I have no interest in a topic I'd rather sell it to someone who does so the domain receives proper development.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back