NameSilo

.mobi .Mobi's missed the boat

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I really am starting to think that. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that .Mobi is starting to catch on in the world. There is just a lot of hot air which is mainly being created by the domainers on this forum still hoping to see their investments taking off. The Mtld site also does not inspire any great confidence and it looks like they and sedo are trying to squeeze the last dregs out of the .mobi gravytrain before it halts to a grinding stop. I invested too(67 .Mobi's) but I have given up hoping that it's going to go anywhere. I think (IMO) .mobi's going nowhere. It is not going to take off and is not being accepted as the great big new mobile internet revolution for mobiles. There still has been no grand promotion to bring it to the general public and I dont think there will be either. And by the time there eventually is such an awareness campaign it will be much to late. The much vaunted investors like Microsoft, Nokia and others have not shown any signs of support and I think never will. Sorry to be so pessimistic but I for one have given up hope and will just let my 67 .mobi's expire quietly. Not even worth putting them up for sale on the market place here as no-one makes any bids or offers on the .mobi's being offered there. Which goes to show that the market for .mobi is slowly dying. I'll count my losses on this one. I did think that .mobi was going to make it big like most of you but I think the writings on the wall now.
Good luck to the rest of you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sam said:
One more post for you hawkeye.

How many years since RAZR was released? Oh yea, and who would have thought it would be free now with contract.

Oh yes, I go to IU - #10 business school in the nation so why dont you go kiss your own ego goodbye? I am also taking business classes at Kelley- Management and REAL ESTATE (#5 for management , #8 i do believe for real estate). Oh yes, I am in the Direct Admit program also.

You go to a top 10 business school or are you still sitting with a high school diploma?

You still feel smart buddy? *pat pat* How does it feel getting beat by an 18 year old in terms of economic wealth per day, who happens to also have a better social life then you can dream of.

Yes, I think my tuition will be well worth it. Go back to your .mobi fanatic forum and go praise yourself on your closed minded views.

Another idiot to the ignore list.

Wow Sam.. Figured you'd be at least a senior in college.. You started domaining young :)

Reece is proud to have no education past high school :tu: Went to college for a few years.. Couldn't stand incompetent profs (American colleges are so much better than government funded Canadian crap). If I had the money back then.. Would have loved to have gone to a nice American school :)

•••
Reece said:
Wow Sam.. Figured you'd be at least a senior in college.. You started domaining young :)

Reece is proud to have no education past high school :tu: Went to college for a few years.. Couldn't stand incompetent profs (American colleges are so much better than government funded Canadian crap). If I had the money back then.. Would have loved to have gone to a nice American school :)

Reece, I am just a young sophomore. Parents were cheap wanted to send me to school early (in Pre-K) :yell: .

Glad to see a canadian diss his own college. Best of luck to you in th .mobi world. Only .mobi idiots piss me off, especially ones who like to flame people like Jeff, especially when he hasn't flamed anyone. It amazes how you some of you .mobi trolls manage to stay unbanned.

Only a matter time before you join "Doc Com" aka circa1850.

Oh yes just for clarification sakes:

"The phone was initially regarded as an exclusive fashion phone,[1] with a high price of $500 with service agreement and $800 without. "

$500 WITH service Agreement- This was back in 2003 for the RAZR. $800 without, thats even worse then today's iphone.

Today, you can get a RAZR for $0 and possibly even gain $50 with a contract.

So all those critics who think iphones or smartphones like iphone arent a viable option for at least the majority of americans, think again.

•••
Sam said:
Only .mobi idiots piss me off, especially ones who like to flame people like Jeff, especially when he hasn't flamed anyone. It amazes how you some of you .mobi trolls manage to stay unbanned.

Sam said:
One more post for you hawkeye.

How many years since RAZR was released? Oh yea, and who would have thought it would be free now with contract.

Oh yes, I go to IU - #10 business school in the nation so why dont you go kiss your own ego goodbye? I am also taking business classes at Kelley- Management and REAL ESTATE (#5 for management , #8 i do believe for real estate). Oh yes, I am in the Direct Admit program also.

You go to a top 10 business school or are you still sitting with a high school diploma?

You still feel smart buddy? *pat pat* How does it feel getting beat by an 18 year old in terms of economic wealth per day, who happens to also have a better social life then you can dream of.

Yes, I think my tuition will be well worth it. Go back to your .mobi fanatic forum and go praise yourself on your closed minded views.

Another idiot to the ignore list.

Sam said:
I dont bother even arguing with people who waste my time anymore nor try and insult my own personal life. You see I have a college LIFE living it up. Partying Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

Being in a fraternity is a b*tch for domains. Whatever, I already have my passive income. $:
Sam, thanks for beautifully illustrating just how much growing up you need to do. :snaphappy:

•••
Sam said:

Sorry to hear you couldn't get into a better school than that, Sam. Good thing for those fall-back schools.

You think you're the only one here who has gone to a decent (or better) college? *pat pat* Think twice. And most of us who did managed to do so without being complete ass****s about it.

Better get back to your studies...oops, or should I say "parties"! *nudge nudge* I bet the parties at those top business schools are spectacular. Woo hoo! You are one cool dude.

•••
dagersh said:
Sorry to hear you couldn't get into a better school than that, Sam. Good thing for those fall-back schools.

You think you're the only one here who has gone to a decent (or better) college? *pat pat* Think twice. And most of us who did managed to do so without being complete ass****s about it.

Better get back to your studies...oops, or should I say "parties"! *nudge nudge* I bet the parties at those top business schools are spectacular. Woo hoo! You are one cool dude.

They quite are. Have you heard of 10 kegger house parties? If you think IU is a crappy party school you live under a rock. Please google "indiana university" "party school". I am sorry you never got to live your party life.

Ps. I think we were number ONE a couple of years ago.

Oh I could have went to michigan (got in), but too expensive. You see, unlike some people I have to pay back my college tuition (so no private schools), so yes, IU is a "fallback" school, I get some good scholarship money to go there.

I can give a damn if you went to a better school then me. I am making more money then you were when you were 18 and probably more money from domains then you.

And most of us who did managed to do so without being complete ass****s about it.
:yell: :yell: :yell: . You cheer me up, how old are you? You would get eaten alive by today's curriculum. I am in an elite business school, if you really think top 11* (sorry looks like we are at #11 not 10), #5 for my major, is a "backup school" you must be smoking something.

College was a joke back during your days.

Oh, I would like you to be in Jeff's shoe and not retaliate for all the stupid insults you throw at him. :yell: :yell:

Sam, thanks for beautifully illustrating just how much growing up you need to do.

You expect me to act like a 40 year old scandi? Im 18, and I will act like a typical college student. Expect nothing else
:yell:

•••
I'm not sure what is worse, those who think criticism of .mobi is like someone insulting their wife or all this nonsense about schools and keg parties. Maybe the pm or casual forum sections would be a better place to talk about all this stuff.

•••
snoop said:
I'm not sure what is worse, those who think criticism of .mobi is like someone insulting their wife or all this nonsense about schools and keg parties. Maybe the pm or casual forum sections would be a better place to talk about all this stuff.
..I guess some people just want the world to know they are now 18, go to college, and party!! "I'm a grown up now!!" :rolleyes:

Alright who's gonna brag about their reasons why they insult their wife???

•••
Hello Everyone,
Lets all take a deep breath and relax now. This discussion has gotten way too personal.

Sam,
I am not going to debate dotMobi with you. However, I will say that you have come a long way from your initial thoughts regarding dotMobi and I will quote your own comments...

Sam said:
http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/299037-my-final-thoughts-mobis-not-flame.html

02-26-2007, 06:09 PM
My Final Thoughts on .mobis - Not a Flame -
My Dear .Mobi Investors,

I think some of you may have misinterpreted my words, so let me clarify this.

I am NOT a .mobi hater. *shock* in fact i do believe with proper usage, SOME of you guys will be sitting rich ducks within a few years.

I would like to point out a few points of what .MOBI is and isnt:

1. .MOBI IS a GOOD alternative to .com. Yes, theoretically like any other extention, a company may want to purchase the .mobi instead of .com (which is likely priced higher), especially a company related to .mobi.

2. .MOBI has a GREAT infastructure, particularly with the brains of Mr. Pinky Brand. Read a little about him, he's a genius. The market has been incredibly well financed, a 6 figure sale for a 4 month old TLD is usually unheard of.

3. The fact that .mobi requires so many keystrokes is NOT a factore. IMO in japan, people can type on their cellphones as fast as they type on their computer.

4. .MOBI MAY succeed. Its not a WILL but a MAY. Like everything, domains are an investment aka RISK. Its a matter of how much RISK you are willing to take.

Here is what .mobi ISNT:

1. .mobi is NOT the next .com. I am pretty sure most of you sensible .mobi investors know that. NOTHING can replace .com simply because this current generation grew up AROUND .com and thus it is ingrained in their head. Think about the "end user".

2. Pairing the successs (BIG SUCCESS) of the mobile internet with .mobi's future success is not valid. This is like comparing apples to oranges. There some considerable hurdles .mobi would need to clear to clearly tap in the mobile internet.

3. Pairing the success of .mobi with the number of registrations is not a valid point either. Look at .eu, enough said.

4. Claiming that phone companies will automatically default their extention to .mobi is quite ridiculous. My friends, phone companies cater to their CONSUMERS not to domainer but to CONSUMERS. Unfortunately, for the next few generations, .com will ALWAYS be the default extention simple because this generation is ACCUSTOMED to .com. Think about the number of complaints that would arise if the default extention was .mobi. All these parked sites, while people are looking for the .com version . Would cause major headache.

5. A major company "supporting" something is not a GODSEND cure all. Again, I would like for you kind folks to check out [email protected] (scam site), claims to have support from major companies. How much SUPPORT are these companies TRULY putting into .mobi. Of course Mr. Pinky Brand will claim these companies back it majorly, he needs profits to please shareholders.

I am going to email every company that Mr. Pinky Brand claims to support .mobi and get a direct answer myself, and post it on this thread.

All in all, like with every new trend this is will happen. A few will get $$$$$$$, some of you guys will earn some nice change, most of guys will breaken even, and some will lose a lot of money. Its inenvitable, this is what happens in every trend and market. (See .eu).

I would like for you guys to go search for some .eu threads and get caught up in the history of the .eu hype. .

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but please everyone can we all have REASONABLE arguments. It makes me angry when someone shows no wit and pulls #%*( out of their ass.

I will refrain from posting anything, anywhere in this .mobi subforum, except for this thread.

Good luck everyone, prove me wrong.

At one point you did believe that some dotMobi investors would make it big, and now you don't seem as confident with your own statements. Let me guess what changed your mind...could it possibly have something to do with the iPhone? So, an unknown element (aka iPhone) comes into the picture and it changes the whole playing field in your eyes that now you don't believe the dotMobi will work out? Have you ever thought that just maybe their is/are other unknown element(s) around the corner coming that will change this as well? That's just it, isn't it- you don't know. Nobody does really know what the future holds. So, implying that everyone will have an iPhone or even that their will be a big WIFI nationwide coverage or that dotMobi will never be the default extension on mobile phones is a fallacy on its own. I'm truly glad that you can surf the internet with your Campus WIFI and it would be awesome if it were available nationwide, but the reality is- it isn't. Will it happen? It might. Just as flying cars might become mainstream consumer products. Just like Internet businesses may end up being taxed as a mortars. Just like you might be charged by your service provider per bandwidth usage. Just like all dotComs might become fully developed websites and no parked pages will exist.

Sam said:
http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/298479-can-mobi-domains-worth-more-than.html

02-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Are you joking me? Generic .COM will ALWAYS be worth more .mobi. I can personally guarantee it. Again, it DOES NOT matter if 3/4 of internet traffic is mobile, because phone manafacturers will NEVER, EVER change the default extention from .com to .mobi. Trying to fit in .mobi with the mobile revolution will not work. Oh for those who claim all the big companies "support" .mobi, please go do yourself a favor and go to http://www dot ******** Dot com, a big SCAM site that claimed it had huge corporate sponsors too.

I would love for your .mobiers to go and email every big company that mr Pinky brand claims to "support" .mobi. Equity Investments anyone?!?! Actually, I shall go email support for all these big companies and inquire to such claims and post on this forum.

Again, I see false logic at work. You can't assume .COM will ALWAYS be worth more than .mobi. For the same reasons I stated previously. Things happen. Take for example, the current housing crisis that we are having in the US, and previous to that the dotCom bubble burst we had in 2000-01.

Sam said:
http://www.namepros.com/298479-can-mobi-domains-worth-more-than-2.html#post1791156

02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Well anything "CAN" happen. The reality is that .com has been around for so long, this GENERATION grew around .com. It will take a few GENERATIONS to make .mobi even close to .com. Of course .ck "can" (but not likely ) be as popular as .com.

Anything "can" happen. Although odds are 1/1000, that it will happen.

This is probably the wisest part of your comment that you have said, "anything "CAN" happen." Which I entirely agree. Anything really CAN happen.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I, as many intend to "prove you wrong" and it won't be personal, it will be just business. Do I (and others) have a strategy in play to accomplish this? You will just have to wait and see. :hehe:

•••
Sam said:
Best of luck to you in th .mobi world. Only .mobi idiots piss me off......

Sam i'm one of those .mobi idiots, but since the age of 16 i've been out there working for the queen, first as a 16 year old i was a search and rescue coastguard i then at the age of 17.5 joined the Royal Navy as an aircraft engineer of which i enjoyed 11.5 years of service! Now i'm a lowly plant operator on a medical pension and war pension.

The morale of this story is, this .mobi idot has saved lives until the age of 17.5 then fought for his country for another 11.5 years and what have you done apart from piss up, catch STD's, take drugs and brag about your education, well buddy there's more to life than f**king school, it's called life experience and it seems that you are very under qualified in that respect to call anyone an idot! Think about it for a second the idiot is YOU!

•••
I know a .mobi idiot who earned more than 130K in one year with 5 .mobi domains..

Martin

•••
GijsZePa said:
I know a .mobi idiot who earned more than 130K in one year with 5 .mobi domains..

Martin

LOL! What a f**king idot!

•••
I'm a fairly young fresh new business owner, and I own some .Com's myself, but Me personally I would never want the .Com website extension being realisticly used on cell phones.....It's only my own opinion, but I think it's extremely tacky. .Mobi will never take over .Com's turf and Likewise .Com will never take over .Mobi's turf. (Extension, Device, United., applies for both of these extensions.)

•••
OK, it's time to lock this sucker up based on reading the last 2 pages. If you haven't stated your case by now about whether .mobi has "missed the boat" or not, I deeply apologize!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back