Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

.mobi .mobi Doing Much Better Than Expected

SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

jmcc

Top Member
Impact
4,809
I was looking at the stats for the .mobi zonefile this morning and the count was 867629. The landrush anniversary count was 959154. The difference in registration volume is 91525 domains. The volume of domains in the zone is only off by 9.54%. The Landrush anniversary was 26 September 2008 and as such the landrush in many of the newer TLDs tends to last approximately three months. During these three months the number of new registrations surges. After this initial period, the registration numbers begin to fall off.

I posted an article about this on my blog [1] but this post just summarises it. The number of domains that have dropped out of the zonefile since the landrush anniversary is 154006 but in the same time, 62481 new domains have been seen. This is lessening the effect of the Junk Dump phase when the stuff that could not be sold is dropped. Far from being a wipeout, there is still life left in .mobi.

Regards...jmcc
[1] http://blog.whoisireland.com/2008/12/31/mobi-registrations-doing-much-better-than-expected/
 
1
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
scandiman said:
'09 is shaping up to be a good year for .mobi and I think things will only continue to get better from here.

'09 appears to be a bust thus far for both the ".MOBI" and the fully developed .MOBI "ecosystem" ... with even dimmer prospects going forward, IMHO. :guilty:

Some years ago, I predicted that IF the ".MOBI" made it (even as a small niche/vanity address), this development and general adoption/awareness would take minimum 9+ years (so, on target, there's still 6 1/2 years to go)! :blink: :imho:

neobodhi said:
Jeff said:
I may start a new list next week. :gl:
When you get around to it, drop me the link.

Will do, I'll send you a link to the new thread here in the #1 Namepros .MOBI forum™ if and when I start the new list ... of all the corporate .MOBI "redirects" ... that simply redirect to .COM's (whether they be to main .COM sites, or to respective developed "M Dot" sites), IMHO. :gl:

Have a nice weekend!
-Jeff B-)
 
0
•••
While you're putting lists together, please don't leave out the most important one.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Companies actively promoting their mobi website....no matter what it redirects to

:lala:
 
0
•••
Work In Progress said:
Companies actively promoting their mobi website....no matter what it redirects to

That's not "the most important one", Mark ... you know as well as I that fully developed stand-alone websites are far more important than one's (simple redirects) simply being "promoted" (in quotes), IMHO. :rolleyes: :snaphappy:

Have a nice weekend!
-Jeff B-)
 
0
•••
Jeff said:
That's not "the most important one", Mark ... you know as well as I that fully developed stand-alone websites are far more important than one's (simple redirects) simply being "promoted" (in quotes), IMHO. :rolleyes: :snaphappy:

Have a nice weekend!
-Jeff B-)
Wow...your logic is clearly mind boggling :tri:

So, your saying if 50,000 major well known companies all started promoting their .mobi site tomorrow in a national blitz (redirected or not), it would be pointless solely based on the fact that said companies didn't build another mobile site (assuming they already had one) strictly for their mobi?

And you think the millions of people being exposed to this "ruse" would care (or know?) when they now have .mobi emblazoned upon their minds?

The bottom line is, it wouldn't take 50,000 companies to do this...just a few heavy hitters pumping the airwaves will do.

Thanks Fox news, for the start!


:kickass:
 
0
•••
Work In Progress said:
So, your saying if 50,000 major well known companies all started promoting their .mobi site tomorrow in a national blitz (redirected or not), it would be pointless solely based on the fact that said companies didn't build another mobile site (assuming they already had one) strictly for their mobi?

Let's just try to stick with reality here, Mark! :red: :rolleyes:

...just a few heavy hitters pumping the airwaves will do.

Sans stand-alone development, I respectfully disagree IMHO.

Thanks Fox news, for the start!

A relative minnow ... and "redirected", as everyone is likely aware: foxnews.proteus.com

You're a good friend, Mark ... always lively & great professional discussions! :talk:
See you soon.
-Jeff B-)
 
0
•••
Jeff said:
Sounds good ... let's get to the professional discussion; since the critical question still remains, why are major corporations developing these "M Dots", by and large ... and still only redirecting defensive ™ ".MOBI's" to these developed websites?
This is a likely very big concern for both mTLD and those supporting the .MOBI extension IMHO.

Thank you for offering logic and substance on the matter!


Hi Jeff,
Let me try and explain to you some nameserver dns facts. you cant add a domain name that already has the .com .. example: mydot.com cannot add mydot.mobi to there server. it doesnt work that way. the higharchy doesnt allow it and never has. thus the easiest thing is to redirect to a folder. unless of course your expecting every .mobi to buy a dedicated server that is the only other option other than pointing the name to a different folder. your example that you use foxnews.mobi cant be added to the proteus.com server because it has the same name as foxnews.com. It has already been added at foxnews.proteus.com please feel free to pm for more details on this topic.
Cheers
Rob
 
0
•••
Jeff said:
A relative minnow ... and "redirected", as everyone is likely aware: foxnews.proteus.com

everyone?

oh ya... im sure the guy that went to the FoxNews.mobi website he saw advertised on TV said to himself: "holy crap, well i'll be darned... this website is a friggin redirect."

get real sir.
 
0
•••
mjnels said:
oh ya... im sure the guy that went to the FoxNews.mobi website he saw advertised on TV said to himself: "holy crap, well i'll be darned... this website is a friggin redirect."

That's not the point (regarding an developed .MOBI "ecosystem") ... and I sincerely doubt that the 'adoption/awareness' of the ".MOBI" has increased even .00000001% from this "promoted" .MOBI redirect (since the mighty .COM is also being promoted in the very same space - and folks on their super cool iPhones™ would likely go to that full & unrestricted .COM choice anyway), IMHO. :talk:

Prove me wrong, I won't get defensive or take it personally. :)
-Jeff B-)
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Jeff said:
That's not the point (regarding an developed .MOBI "ecosystem") ... and I sincerely doubt that the 'adoption/awareness' of the ".MOBI" has increased even .00000001% from this "promoted" .MOBI redirect (since the mighty .COM is also being promoted in the very same space - and folks on their super cool iPhones™ would likely go to that full & unrestricted .COM choice anyway), IMHO. :talk:

Prove me wrong, I won't get defensive or take it personally. :)
-Jeff B-)


glad you brought this up sir.

because if people with the super cool iPhone enter FoxNews.COM into their brower... they are re-directed to the MOBILE SITE and there is actually a .MOBI logo at the top.

muahahahahahahahaha.... i do believe this qualifies as proving you wrong.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Jeff said:
I sincerely doubt that the 'adoption/awareness' of the ".MOBI" has increased even .00000001% from this "promoted" .MOBI redirect
You've seriously got to be kidding.

Wow, that's a ridiculously ignorant statement you've made there.... honestly Jeff, I can't fathom how anyone with half a brain can even respect your opinion after seeing such a stupid statement.

People.... this guy just claimed that Fox News's 24/7 promotion of FoxNews.mobi (right alongside -- that's a GOOD thing, Jeff :rolleyes: -- their promotion of FoxNews.com) hasn't increased awareness of .mobi by even .00000001%

Wow.... what a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Your opinions literally have no weight to me anymore.



folks on their super cool iPhones™ would likely go to that full & unrestricted .COM choice anyway
Do you seriously not comprehend what a small minority of mobile web users actually have an iPhone? And what's with the "super cool" tag you keep pushing? Is it really that cool? Do you work for Apple? AT&T? What new agenda are you pushing now with all this only-people-with-iPhones-should-be-taken-into-consideration bullcrap? I know several people personally who have iPhone's, and I hear plenty of complaints.
 
0
•••
Jeff said:
That's not "the most important one", Mark ... you know as well as I that fully developed stand-alone websites are far more important than one's (simple redirects) simply being "promoted" (in quotes), IMHO. :rolleyes: :snaphappy:

Have a nice weekend!
-Jeff B-)
Work In Progress said:
...So, your saying if 50,000 major well known companies all started promoting their .mobi site tomorrow in a national blitz (redirected or not), it would be pointless solely based on the fact that said companies didn't build another mobile site (assuming they already had one) strictly for their mobi? ...
Jeff said:
Let's just try to stick with reality here, Mark! :red: :rolleyes:
Nice deflective avoidance to a logical answer to your non logical reasoning. What's the matter, can't admit it when someone counters 'your rules' on how things 'should be'??

So, is not his point/query valid, based on your criteria (in pink (fittingly))??

mjnels said:
glad you brought this up sir.

because if people with the super cool iPhone enter FoxNews.COM into their brower... they are re-directed to the MOBILE SITE and there is actually a .MOBI logo at the top.

muahahahahahahahaha.... i do believe this qualifies as proving you wrong.
why do you think he's not replying. He hates it when his nonsense is challenged with reality!!
 
Last edited:
0
•••
hawkeye said:
why do you think he's not replying.

^ I just got back from the gym (5 miles on the treadmill), friend. :blink:

mjnels said:
muahahahahahahahaha.... i do believe this qualifies as proving you wrong.

You fellas must still be on the 21+ Guinnesses ... for clarification, there is NO developed ".MOBI" website for 'Fox News', there are only "mobile sites" one located at foxnews.proteus.com (to which, of course, undeveloped FoxNews ".mobi" redirects) - and we already talked about all of this the other day regarding the auto-detection (and the user option of choosing the unrestricted Google "Classic" version while in the landscape mode on the cool iPhone), IMHO. :gl:

The last time I was on the super cool iPhone, I was detected/forwarded to - I believe at the time - iphone.foxnews.com ... where, again, I had the option of selecting the "regular" and unrestricted full .COM version, which I did and it was a very pleasurable experience on FoxNews.com! :talk:
I believe you can save it as a shortcut, as well.

Without full stand-alone development and regardless of little ".mobi" logos atop NON (undeveloped) .MOBI sites (yes, relatively speaking Fox News is a minnow in this context), and an ad rotating in with the mighty .COM ad ... will do nothing to substantively add to the awareness or adoption of the ".MOBI", IMHO. :snaphappy:

I repeat;
I sincerely doubt that the 'adoption/awareness' of the ".MOBI" has increased even .00000001% from this "promoted" .MOBI redirect (since the mighty .COM is also being promoted in the very same space - and folks on their super cool iPhones™ would likely go to that full & unrestricted .COM choice anyway), IMHO.

Nothing has occurred here to change my humble opininion(s) ... and I would really appreciate seeing some actual substance - for instance, what is Fox News™ saying about the ad(s) and the traffic paterns to foxnews.proteus.com ?!? :red:
IYHO's.

-Jeff B-)
 
0
•••
You know it's hard to tell if you guys are having fun with this type of back-and-forth or if there's a genuine dislike for each other coming out. Discussion can be entertaining, but let's just try to keep civil and as on-topic as possible.

Thanks,

RJ
 
0
•••
Thanks, RJ ... I am being genuine in my humble opinions and it's an interesting topic & discussion (particularly with the increasing popularity of the super cool iPhone™ and other smart devices)! :talk: :imho:

Good to go! :talk:

PS. Good stuff, Rob ...
u8l2 said:
the higharchy doesnt allow it and never has. thus the easiest thing is to redirect to a folder. unless of course your expecting every .mobi to buy a dedicated server that is the only other option other than pointing the name to a different folder. your example that you use foxnews.mobi cant be added to the proteus.com server because it has the same name as foxnews.com.

I'm very much interested in the likely and potenial implications of this, as well as its open and professional discussion here! :gl: :imho:
-Jeff B-)
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Jeff said:
The last time I was on the super cool iPhone, I was detected/forwarded to - I believe at the time - iphone.foxnews.com ... where, again, I had the option of selecting the "regular" and unrestricted full .COM version, which I did and it was a very pleasurable experience on FoxNews.com! :talk:

Interesting, so they have two mobile websites. One for the iphone and one for other mobile devices. Two websites, two web addresses, accessed by the same .mobi domain name that is branded at the top of each version.
 
0
•••
Back on topic - Trust us Jeff, et al, .mobi is doing a lot better than you realize! It's just not the same so here in the US currently! Kinda like that .us extension that still has 'not caught on' here in the US!! But it's far from dead!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
0
•••
neobodhi said:
Interesting, so they have two mobile websites. One for the iphone and one for other mobile devices. Two websites, two web addresses, accessed by the same .mobi domain name that is branded at the top of each version.

Are you accessing FoxNews.com on your cool Iphone™, Neob ... is it still iphone.foxnews.com that comes up? :gl:

Thanks.
-Jeff B-)
 
0
•••
Jeff said:
Thanks, RJ ... I am being genuine in my humble opinions and it's an interesting topic & discussion (particularly with the increasing popularity of the super cool iPhone™ and other smart devices)! :talk: :imho:

Good to go! :talk:
-Jeff B-)
''yes RJ, i'm the goody one! no really I am!! :rolleyes: (wipe your nose!! gross!)
 
0
•••
How about we have an arm wrestling match to settle this once and for all?

C'mon, let's be cool. I bet there's some middle ground to be found.

RJ out
 
0
•••
RJ said:
How about we have an arm wrestling match to settle this once and for all?

C'mon, let's be cool. I bet there's some middle ground to be found.

RJ out
Can I use a baseball bat??

What happend to your hair? Going for the respectable look??
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back