Dynadot

Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?
Our inboxes are on fire with brand new information about the new Microsoft MP3 player. We thought the player was code-named "Argo", but we now got word that the final product name that's been flying around is the "Zune"!

The pic on the right seems to be the final design, which makes the player very cleanβ€”a definite departure from Microsoft's other endeavors. You all remember the video Microsoft's own people made to illustrate their packaging shortcomings? Well, it seems like they haven't learned much, as our tipster tells us the packaging itself is pretty ugly.

More info after the jump!

Our mole also says there's no game menu to be seen on the device, putting those rumors of portable gaming from Xbox branding in possible jeopardy. More game options possibly coming in the 2nd iteration.

There's also mention of a black version of the Zune, being shown on a music video for the band CSS, and the brown version on the cover for "Band of Horses". You can display Album covers for the song you're listening to on the screen, which is "big enough" and looks "pretty good". Paul Oakenfold also has a tie-in deal.

From the looks of things, the Zune will definitely be ready for a Xmas release.

We'll have more information plus possibly the logo and/or UI Shots tomorrow. Stay tuned! – Jason Chen

Thanks Tipster!
Source: Gizmodo

Get your ZUNE domain names now. They're going fast!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lyte said:
I saw Zilla's name in this thread and immediately thought of ZUNEZILLA.com
if u get it, can u give me 1 NP$? LOL

•••
Here's one and I'm keeping the other one for myself.

ZuneTorrent.Com - 100 np$ if you reg it.

•••
Zilla said:
if u get it, can u give me 1 NP$? LOL

Absolutely... maybe even 2NP$!! :laugh:

•••
My List..

Ok guys, I couldn't resist it anymore.
Since you are cherry picking all the good ones :'( i decided to take some action as well. Here is what I registered..

Zune-Talk.com - Forum
Planet-Zune.com
ZuneExpo.com - If this thing takes off like the IPOD we sure will be seeing some expos.
ZunePlaza.com
ZuneHop.com
ZuneGlobe.com
ZuneBud.com _ Accessories
ZuneSupplier.com
ZuneDistributor.com
OnlyZune.com

Since I'm a newbie, your thoughts on the above names are very welcomed.

Thanks

•••
zouzas said:
post dedicated to db :hi:
Hehe... thank you Zz. Great work on getting the site live. :)

Though, I would have preferred flowers & candy, or perhaps a love-song dedication. :blink:

Lyte said:
Ah ha! So... it was YOU! :laugh:

So, did one of them buy it from you?! :tu:
Not yet Lyte, but I know it's driving them crazy. Only a matter of time. :laugh:

•••
GreatNics said:
Ok guys, I couldn't resist it anymore.
Since you are cherry picking all the good ones :'( i decided to take some action as well. Here is what I registered..

Zune-Talk.com - Forum
Planet-Zune.com
ZuneExpo.com - If this thing takes off like the IPOD we sure will be seeing some expos.
ZunePlaza.com
ZuneHop.com
ZuneGlobe.com
ZuneBud.com _ Accessories
ZuneSupplier.com
ZuneDistributor.com
OnlyZune.com

Since I'm a newbie, your thoughts on the above names are very welcomed.

Thanks

In case there are a few of you out there that wanted a good zune name. I put MicroZune.com up for offers starting at only $10

http://www.namepros.com/domains-for-sale-make-offer/217501-microzune-com.html

•••
You guys are NUTS.... :)

What the heck are all those names......????

5 minutes searching and ive found an absolutely BRILLIANT name thats available still...

Think guys think....

•••
Badger said:
You guys are NUTS.... :)

What the heck are all those names......????

5 minutes searching and ive found an absolutely BRILLIANT name thats available still...

Think guys think....

I think MicroZune.com is definitely one of the best zune names other than zune.com. :)

•••
•••
Anyway Guys, im no tease and Im not gonna regged it, so the answer to my 5 minute domain name quest is.....

FanZune.com

If the person who registers it would just keep me informed as to how they fair with the name then that'd be great, id be interested... :)

•••
Badger has a good point. People often get carried away with brand-new product releases, registering word combinations that make no sense, or don't fit.

Something very simple that helps to keep things in perspective, is to use an existing product that everybody already knows. For example "iPod". If you would not purchase iPodWhatever then why would anybody purchase ZuneWhatever?

There are exceptions of course, like when the other word rhymes or seems to fit in some aesthetically pleasing way.

For instance, ZuneZone.com -- I think is a very nice fit. I really like this name!

•••
-db- said:
Badger has a good point. People often get carried away with new product releases, registering word combinations that make no sense, or don't fit.

Something very simple that helps to keep things in perspective, is to use an existing product that everybody already knows. For example "iPod". If you would not purchase iPodWhatever then why would anybody purchase ZuneWhatever?

There are exceptions of course, like when the other word rhymes or seems to fit in some aesthetically pleasing way.

For instance, ZuneZone.com -- I think is a very nice fit. I really like this name!

Want to buy mine? :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
K-JO,

I would happily buy ice-cubes from you if I was living in Alaska with no heater. :xf.love:

But I don't do Canadian names because of the restrictions for Americans, etc.

•••
-db- said:
K-JO,

I would buy ice-cubes from you if I was living in Alaska with no heater. :xf.love:

But I don't do Canadian names because of the restrictions for Americans, etc.

Heehee ok thought I'd ask. :hearts:

•••
db is right about grasping to 'get in on the action'. I have been guilty of this action and trying to learn from all those names/mistakes I am letting drop.

You need to start looking beyond the .com for some decent options. The info and/or us deserves looking at.

I just reg'd zTunes-us as a decent 'shot in the dark'. I think someone should register zTunes-eu. I have 1 poor com (zuneXtras) and not sure about ZuneMobi but time will tell.

I am trying to be very carefull here -- so far 6 com, 2 us and am quite happy - but still looking around.

Interesting to note that ZuneScene seems to be attracting lots of traffic (don't know about coming and insider).

•••
What if the name is really "Xune"... and just pronounced Zune.

A couple rumors have said it. :o

That would certainly match their successful "Xbox" theme.

What if Microsoft fooled us all?

What if...

:alien:

•••
Wouldnt be surprised -db-.. I said this earlier I think, MS have a particular bugbite presently with Cybersquatters (hence their strider prog) so it really wouldnt surprise me...

•••
-db- said:
What if the name is really "Xune"... and just pronounced Zune.

A couple rumors have said it. :o

That would certainly match their successful "Xbox" theme.

What if Microsoft fooled us all?
I like that idea.

Xune looks kinda cool too and definitely fits better with their Xbox lines.

Are you trying to cause trouble here db or do you just have a xune domain you want to make a huge profit on? ;) :tu:

•••
B33R said:
Are you trying to cause trouble here db or do you just have a xune domain you want to make a huge profit on?

... just trying to cause trouble.

:guilty:

:laugh:

•••
:lol: :laugh: :tu: :laugh: :lol:

It's an interesting idea though.

Dammit someone regged all the xune.TLD's. I was actually gonna register one. :laugh:

•••
heres some more conjecture...

Its interesting that the orginal codename for this player 'Argo' was the name of Jason (and the argonauts) ship. Argo Navis is also a star constellation. Part of that star constellation is an area called 'Pyxis'. Pyxis is latin for 'box'...

'Pyxis' has been mentioned in disbatches before and people are currently buying up truck loads of 'Pyxis' domains.. D-: :-/

•••
Hey Guys,

Do you think TheZune.com will be worth anything. Do you guys like this domainname?

•••
xune? no! if that is the case, how disappoint will be the owner of zune.com

•••
Hey Guys,

Do you think TheZune.com will be worth anything. Do you guys like this domainname?

I don't think thats a very good domain name because i wouldnt go finding the ipod.com

Fast Hosty

•••
I m pretty sure "Zune" is the brand name and there are various thing under it.

Like ipod and you have nano, shuffle and so on...

They said they're will be 3 or so portable entertainment things. A full ipod like player (video and all) a nano like player ( small and light) and a portable xbox (psp like) All being under the Zune brand

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back