Dynadot

Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?
Our inboxes are on fire with brand new information about the new Microsoft MP3 player. We thought the player was code-named "Argo", but we now got word that the final product name that's been flying around is the "Zune"!

The pic on the right seems to be the final design, which makes the player very cleanβ€”a definite departure from Microsoft's other endeavors. You all remember the video Microsoft's own people made to illustrate their packaging shortcomings? Well, it seems like they haven't learned much, as our tipster tells us the packaging itself is pretty ugly.

More info after the jump!

Our mole also says there's no game menu to be seen on the device, putting those rumors of portable gaming from Xbox branding in possible jeopardy. More game options possibly coming in the 2nd iteration.

There's also mention of a black version of the Zune, being shown on a music video for the band CSS, and the brown version on the cover for "Band of Horses". You can display Album covers for the song you're listening to on the screen, which is "big enough" and looks "pretty good". Paul Oakenfold also has a tie-in deal.

From the looks of things, the Zune will definitely be ready for a Xmas release.

We'll have more information plus possibly the logo and/or UI Shots tomorrow. Stay tuned! – Jason Chen

Thanks Tipster!
Source: Gizmodo

Get your ZUNE domain names now. They're going fast!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
slaughterbeck said:
This could be a teaser for Zune posted at YouTube. It looks cooler than any advertising I’ve ever seen come out of Redmond.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

Well I liked it too. The music, the buildup...I am thinking that the people on the laptop were looking at the people on the Zune live and vice versa.

•••
Some sources say Zune will have Wireless File Sharing. Just regged WirelessFileSharing.com :p

•••
•••
Hi.

Last edited:
•••
tight-aggressive said:
Found this: http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sees+Zune+effort+a+long+haul/2100-1041_3-6099299.html
Zune looks to be the official name with this spelling.

I know; did you look at the title of this thread which is 16 days old?

I guess everyone needed it to be finalized to be certain and I can understand that but I assure all that I would have never made such a bold title and placed it in such a popular section if I hadn’t known that this was the β€œBrand” and not as some have claimed the β€œCode” name for this device.

For me it didn’t come down to the press releases or β€œInsider Sources” but rather a simple pattern in DN reg’s that clued me in over 6 weeks ago.

In the end, I’m happy that the best creative minds in domaining here at Namepros were able to create some wonderful names for future development. And, I hope Microsoft is as lenient as they have been with the Xbox brand (just do a search for xbox and you can see all the development by fans with that Microsoft trademark in them). Time will tell...

P.S. At times I felt awful when I kept reading how this was β€œassuredly” or possibly a code name and that MS had this grand plan to put an end to domainers tricks by fooling them into believing one thing and then pulling the rug out from under them. They have more important things to try and do.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

Last edited:
•••
slaughterbeck said:

I guess everyone needed it to be finalized to be certain and I can understand that but I assure all that I would have never made such a bold title and placed it in such a popular section if I hadn’t known that this was the β€œBrand” and not as some have claimed the β€œCode” name for this device.

For me it didn’t come down to the press releases or β€œInsider Sources” but rather a simple pattern in DN reg’s that clued me in over 6 weeks ago.

In the end, I’m happy that the best creative minds in domaining here at Namepros were able to create some wonderful names for future development. And, I hope Microsoft is as lenient as they have been with the Xbox brand (just do a search for xbox and you can see all the development by fans with that Microsoft trademark in them). Time will tell...

P.S. At times I felt awful when I kept reading how this was β€œassuredly” or possibly a code name and that MS had this grand plan to put an end to domainers tricks by fooling them into believing one thing and then pulling the rug out from under them. They have more important things to try and do.

Best wishes,
Kimmy
Sock it to 'em Kimmy. You were ahead of the curve and up towards the first wave of regs. Well done! I didn't pick up on your thread until late in the game but, (because I have faith in your judgement) I moved forward and I managed to find a few nuggets that I'm very happy to have for future development. BIG Tx for the tip. :tu: :tu:

•••
slaughterbeck said:

Best wishes,
Kimmy
Anyone noticed that Z trademarked Zune.us and someone also holds one on ZuneGear and Zune is dead.

•••
Zune is dead
:? :? I missed the gist of that one, hark. ie "zune is dead" is TMd?

•••
Grrilla said:
:? :? I missed the gist of that one, hark. ie "zune is dead" is TMd?
Zune trademark shows up as dead. Was held by (if i member right) a shoe company.

•••
hark said:
Zune trademark shows up as dead. Was held by (if i member right) a shoe company.
The word Zune has had marks of usage, registered or not, often in the past, i.e. Aros software. The products are not too similar as to create any ill will though.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
Well, the Analyst meeting reports show some sort of hope for us Zune webmasters. :) Hopefully what MS is promising will become a reality as that'll definately increase Zune's popularity.

•••
Microsoft sees no immediate return on Zune player

Did anyone else see this...

Microsoft sees no immediate return on Zune player

"REDMOND, Wash. (Reuters) β€” Microsoft does not expect an immediate return on its outlay for its upcoming "Zune" media player, predicting a three- to five-year investment period for the new device.

"It is something that is going to take time," Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, said at Microsoft's annual analyst meeting.

"This is not a six-month investment time horizon," he said, adding that it may take three, four or five years to succeed.

Last week, Microsoft said it plans to release a new music and entertainment player and accompanying software under the "Zune" brand this year, in a belated attempt to challenge the dominance of Apple's iPod player."

Just an FYI... ;)

Lyte

•••
I am signed up for google alerts and I got that one too...said they are sinking a lot of money into it. :) I received another one (yesterday I think it was) said they had applied for and gotten an international trademark in Germany as opposed to the US but when I went to search it it wasn't found (maybe I searched wrong on WIPO) Anyone else get that google alert?

•••
Zune is the official name. Microsoft registered zune.in and zune.co.in

•••
•••
Lyte said:
Did anyone else see this...

Sure, that's what they would expect with a product such as this. With all the successes for their Xbox line they still have lost well over 1 Billion dollars with that project in the past 5 years. Yet, Xbox is an unequivocal success.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
Zune is the official name. Microsoft registered zune.in and zune.co.in
Maybe I should offer them Zune.im lol

•••
texasgamer said:
Maybe I should offer them Zune.im lol
No, you shouldn't. Never offer a domain name to a mark holder. If they have interest they'll indirectly contact you.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
Remember when I said this...on 7/11

Original Post

movingconcierge said:
GoPC said:
What's it like to have all that disposable domain buying money? Ever stopped to think of your profit versus loss on these things? LOL!!!

Have fun Zunsters.

Results 1 - 10 of about 24,600,000 for "nintendo wii"

** This was hype just one short month ago...now look at it...

I hope zune goes as well as the wii's did / are...

Well when I wrote this "zune" totaled a measly 38,600 results in Google...now it is 30,400,000 results...in less than a month. I think Zune beat Wii in terms of buzz...

Last edited:
•••
no more good names avialable :/
I missed out :(

•••
Hi, good news for your Zuners... We currently have a Zune domain "under offer" at 1plus.net. Obviously cant give details (unless the seller here chooses to do otherwise) :)

•••
Badger said:
Hi, good news for your Zuners... We currently have a Zune domain "under offer" at 1plus.net. Obviously cant give details (unless the seller here chooses to do otherwise) :)
Thanks for the info Ian. I'm sure there have been dozens of sales for these names in the past few weeks though.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
•••
i'm in a good mood today , because i won my game of darts, and made a little buck out of it.
therefor i will give away a ***zunes.com name.
first one who PMed me i will say it to at no cost.

PS: its not owned by me, so you have to register it yourself

•••
pmnd1966 said:
i'm in a good mood today , because i won my game of darts, and made a little buck out of it.
therefor i will give away a ***zunes.com name.
first one who PMed me i will say it to at no cost.

PS: its not owned by me, so you have to register it yourself
I was first and regg'd the name WinZunes.com. I think it might have potential for a give-away promotion site.
:bingo:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back