NameSilo

Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?
Our inboxes are on fire with brand new information about the new Microsoft MP3 player. We thought the player was code-named "Argo", but we now got word that the final product name that's been flying around is the "Zune"!

The pic on the right seems to be the final design, which makes the player very clean—a definite departure from Microsoft's other endeavors. You all remember the video Microsoft's own people made to illustrate their packaging shortcomings? Well, it seems like they haven't learned much, as our tipster tells us the packaging itself is pretty ugly.

More info after the jump!

Our mole also says there's no game menu to be seen on the device, putting those rumors of portable gaming from Xbox branding in possible jeopardy. More game options possibly coming in the 2nd iteration.

There's also mention of a black version of the Zune, being shown on a music video for the band CSS, and the brown version on the cover for "Band of Horses". You can display Album covers for the song you're listening to on the screen, which is "big enough" and looks "pretty good". Paul Oakenfold also has a tie-in deal.

From the looks of things, the Zune will definitely be ready for a Xmas release.

We'll have more information plus possibly the logo and/or UI Shots tomorrow. Stay tuned! – Jason Chen

Thanks Tipster!
Source: Gizmodo

Get your ZUNE domain names now. They're going fast!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DomainBELL said:
p.s. maybe you would be the PERFECT person to ask this - - - I am thinking of putting something on the SEDO feature auction - but undecided which domain to put up there... - - - would appreaciate anyone with experience glancing at my list to tell me which 3 would be my probably best shot from the list I have here: http://www.domainbell.com

TBH... none of the three

•••
I have regged wiredzune.com

I'll most likely develop into some sort of a Zune forum. Kinda ironic since Zuen will feature many "wireless" stuff, but on WiredZune, I hope to get Zune users "wired" or connected in for a chat. :)

•••
zoomzune.com
zuneblook.com is available...

•••
I just registered ZuneSquad.com. I like it, because it sounds like Goon Squad, which has appeal to Gen-Xers and gives it sort of a anti-establishment feel.. Gonna turn it into a Zune owners community site.

•••
BLazeD said:
TBH... none of the three

thanks for the feedback...

I wasn't asking about those three though...

I was asking about which 3 of the 100's and 100's listed here:
http://www.domainbell.com

:)

~DomainBeLL (Patricia)

•••
Well I wasn't going to bother but curiosity got the better of me and I registered these...

zunedownloads - co.uk
buyazune - net and co.uk
zunetozune - net and co.uk
zuneurge - co.uk

Would've been happier with a dot com but you guys beat me to it! And best of luck to you. :tu:

But something just doesn't sit right. I've no doubt that Zune is the name but WHY would they not TM it??? Just doesn't really make sense. Oh well!

H

•••
HelenM said:
Well I wasn't going to bother but curiosity got the better of me and I registered these...

zunedownloads - co.uk
buyazune - net and co.uk
zunetozune - net and co.uk
zuneurge - co.uk

Those are great! (info)

•••
...oups...

Last edited:
•••
HelenM said:
But something just doesn't sit right. I've no doubt that Zune is the name but WHY would they not TM it??? Just doesn't really make sense. Oh well!

H

Hello Helen,

I'm sure they will submit the application for trademark sometime this month since they seem to plan a release in either late October or early November. Once the application is submitted it will be fairly easy to figure out nearly all the features of the device. However at this point, I’m sure they’re more than happy to see all the articles anticipating which features the Zune may or may not have (viral marketing) because it just stirs up more publicity for the launch.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
•••
Hey, who reg'd zunezunezune.com :( :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
actelvision said:
That article was written a full day prior to a Microsoft spokesperson clearly stating to CNN "Today we confirmed a new music and entertainment project called Zune. Under the Zune brand, we will deliver a family of hardware and software products, the first of which will be available this year. We see a great opportunity to bring together technology and community to allow consumers to explore and discover music together."

That statement plainly answers any questions as to what brand the company will market their new media device and software under.

BTW, everyone who is obsessed with Jack Spurr, that’s simply a form of privacy protection, provided by Register.com for many large organizations that don’t want to tip their hand too early. And you should have a look at how many extensions that are registered for ZuneCast.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

antman.ws said:
That's good to hear :) We didn't go on a domain buying craze for nothing :p
You're welcome and thanks for giving me the encouragement to divulge this type of information when it becomes available again.

And now for the big news: Guess what I discovered Dell is working on and what the name of it will be? :lol:

Last edited:
•••
www.comingzune.com

at the end of the song "us" there's the zune and logo with tm above it

but where's it filed or did they miss filing it and simply put tm above it????

•••
TwilightZune.com

LOL... Damn!

I thought about it 2 days ago, got busy, blew it off and didn't register it.... and now it's gone!

Somebody else got the same idea.

Pretty funny and cool name. B-)

•••
zouzas said:
www.comingzune.com

at the end of the song "us" there's the zune and logo with tm above it

but where's it filed or did they miss filing it and simply put tm above it????
TRADEMARKS.

Trademarks:
Microsoft, Zune and the Zune logo are trademarks, or registered trademarks, of Microsoft Corporation in the US and/or other countries.

Perhaps not registered yet but obviously still considered trademarks.

Funny though that I believe that’s the first set of domain names I’ve ever seen registered by the big “M” at Godaddy.com

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
This is the first i'm even hearing baout this. The specs should be interesting. I wonder if there is anyway to check microsoft's domain name registration activity. Thats always a good indication of what they're coming with next. Remember windows vista?

•••
-db- said:
TwilightZune.com

LOL... Damn!

I thought about it 2 days ago, got busy, blew it off and didn't register it.... and now it's gone!

Sorry Tim,

I listed that in this thread as available "a few pages back". I hope an NP'er got it. Very solid I think.

•••
Ahhhh.... hehe... yeah I think it's pretty clever. :hehe:

•••
chld said:
This is the first i'm even hearing baout this. The specs should be interesting. I wonder if there is anyway to check microsoft's domain name registration activity. Thats always a good indication of what they're coming with next. Remember windows vista?

What's Windows Vista anyway? :blink:

-db- said:
Ahhhh.... hehe... yeah I think it's pretty clever. :hehe:
I think I posted that along with TimeZune.com, Zuneatic and Zunetic.com

BTW, I've never seen so much action from type in's regarding a name like this. Microsoft has already generated a huge amount of viral steam from this name which seemed quirky at first. I remember when the iPod first appeared and people were writing Peapod jokes, well that was zune not the story for long.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

Last edited:
•••
slaughterbeck said:
I think I posted that along with TimeZune.com, Zuneatic and Zunetic.com

I got Zunatic and Zuneatic but never saw your post first Kimmy.

I guess great minds think alike.
:)

•••
-db- said:
TwilightZune.com

LOL... Damn!

- - - - that one crossed my mind as well... I don't think I ever checked the availability though - can't remember why...

~DomainBeLL (Patricia)

•••
Mad props to you Kimmy. With your help I was able to grab a few nice Zune domains. I don't have much to offer but if you ever need anything from me its all yours.

I have plans to sell a a few of my names and when I do you have earned a slice of that pie sweetie. I promise. I never forget a good hookup and this was a sweet one.

Thanks and much love to my new friend Kimmy.

•••
Was gonna reg RealZune.com, but blew it off and it was gone today...nice post though

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back