Dynadot

Men's Winter Boots dot com monetization via Amazon Affiliate

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DataSN

Established Member
Impact
Hand regged this name MensWinterBoots.com which has a volume of decent monthly searches according to Google AdWords Keyword Planner by the keyword phrase "men's winter boots".

I decided to test its potential and see if it actually gets traffic by the searches so I built an Amazon affiliate store with this domain: https://www.menswinterboots.com

I'm documenting everything here in this thread and on my blog: https://www.kavoir.com/2019/10/new-amazon-affiliate-site-mens-winter-boots-dot-com.html

Invested thus far $150 in it and I sort of doubt that I would make it even as the season for winter boots is already present which lasts no more than 3 months according to Google Trends. And SEO efforts for organic traffic rarely work well within 3 months starting the campaign.

Fingers crossed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Will be keeping an eye on the blog for the progress, thanks and good luck!

•••
Very nice affiliate site!

•••
•••
great start - how is it progressing?

•••
@smarti thanks for asking. Here's update today:

Day 20 (2019.11.13)

Search traffic seems to be picking up and CTR is not bad. Top impressions and clicks are from search of "men's winter boots clearance".

However, the total indexed pages in Google dropped to 85.

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 222.png
    222.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
•••
@DataSN thanks for sharing progress

is the number of indexed pages dropped due to duplicate content? do you know the reason for? CTR is really not bad, now it's all about traffic right? Your average position is still quite high that is probably where you want to optimize? Have u already got an idea about your next steps?

btw, is it organic traffic or do you already run the ads campaign?

do you have already an expectation on a conversion rate? my guess would be somewhere between 0.75 .. 1.25% ( during a season )

KEEP IT UP :)

•••
is the number of indexed pages dropped due to duplicate content?

I doubt it as it's still pretty new. I have duplicate content sites that work really well in terms of SERP and original content sites that are hell.

CTR is really not bad, now it's all about traffic right? Your average position is still quite high that is probably where you want to optimize? Have u already got an idea about your next steps?

For now no I'll just wait and see. I don't want to invest too much money in this one. Just wanted to test the domain's potential.

btw, is it organic traffic or do you already run the ads campaign?

It's all organic for now, no paid campaigns. But I doubt paid campaigns would benefit this as:

1. Profit margins are pretty low as an affiliate site in nature
2. Users won't stay for future purchases as it's a middleman site in nature

Might do this when I have time to find a proper dropshipping supplier to gear up the profit margin to at least 50%.

do you have already an expectation on a conversion rate? my guess would be somewhere between 0.75 .. 1.25% ( during a season )

You have a reasonable guess. My average conversion rate is 1.85% for my amazon affiliate account. It's been dropping for years. 5 years ago it's about 3% - 5%. What about you guys?

•••
Does google still reward long tail keyword exact match domains? Any SEO backlink "juice" or just create content and wait for Google to crawl through.

•••
Any update here? How are the numbers? Thanks!

•••
Does google still reward long tail keyword exact match domains? Any SEO backlink "juice" or just create content and wait for Google to crawl through.

No, not so much. Exact match .com needs more work to rank at top unless it's a brand name. Google can distinguish that. You still need keywords targetted backlinks and relevant content to rank at the top, it's harder than before but it DOES help with an exact match .com.

•••
Any update here? How are the numbers? Thanks!

Thanks for asking. I've just viewed the stats. Google is indexing the long tail pages eventually. Organic traffic is still climbing albeit very slow. The bounce rate is not bad. Most organic traffic is long tail searches of 1.

3.png 1.png 2.png

Last edited:
•••
That is a really clean looking site.

If you don't mind me asking, what script or wordpress theme are you using?

•••
I think he is using shopify to host his site

•••
CTR all right. Traffic are mostly long tail, not the exact matched search of "Men's Winter Boots" or related.

The last 30 days the site made about $25 via Amazon affiliate program. It's not bad if the site is NOT on Shopify as that costs me $29 per month and I'm NOT spending any time for this.

Amazon affiliate program is not worth it any more in my opinion, at 4.5% commission. It used to be 6.5 - 8%.

I think it's definitely going to make real money if I source the products and sell my own boots, because:
  • 5 times more profits (10 times more profits, times 50% of the current conversion rate)
  • More money to invest in SEO

Attachments

• 222.png
    222.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 1112.png
    1112.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 272
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back