NameSilo

MarkMonitor Re-Registered my Name

Labeled as discuss in General Domain Discussion started by LagarBagar, Apr 17, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. LagarBagar

LagarBagar Established Member

Hey guys!
    Back in 2005 I registered a domain name YahooPeshawar.com
    I was planning to develop a website, but later I left the domain to expire as I couldn`t got enough time. My domain when dropped was taken by MarkMonitor Inc and it was put on Yahoo servers.
    It not even a brandable name than why MarkMonitor is holding this name since 14 years?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. wwwulff

wwwulff Top Member VIP

It's probably Yahoo's name now and Mark Monitor manages it for them (as they do for many other big companies)

3. alcy

alcy Top Member VIP

you could be having tm issues if they were not holding it.

4. LagarBagar

Yes the name is on Yahoo servers, and it seems they are not leaving it soon.

5. LagarBagar

Yes I agree, but I didn`t care much about tm at that time.

6. biggie

biggie Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

you may have thought differently, if you had received a C&D letter

imo...

7. LagarBagar

:xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh::sneaky:

8. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Top Member VIP

Why are you even thinking about a domain you dropped 14 years ago. (and apparently tracking) is beyond me.

I'm even worried about you. what on earth of an insight are you trying to gain ??

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  9. IMEZI

IMEZI Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

LOL.... not even brandable? yes it is but it is trademarked because contain YAHOO

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

The talk of yahoo made me wonder about use of the word in a generic sense. I did an NGram Viewer to at least look at its popularity over a long time period. I discovered two interesting things:
    • It was substantially more popular in the late 1700;s than currently
    • Its recent increase in use began BEFORE the start of the company
    [​IMG]
    https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=yahoo&year_start=1700&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1;,yahoo;,c0#t1;,yahoo;,c0

Does anyone know if anyone defended domains arguing that it was a general exclamation, like Hey You, Howdy, Great, etc. and could be used in a myriad of ways? I suspect the big law firms would rip it apart, but just wondering.

Does anyone know why it was so popular back then in 1700s and it also seemed to be periodic, really popular then not nearly as much as graph shows.

I have too much time on my hands, it seems :xf.eek:

Bob

11. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Top Member VIP

Well it's always been a popular calling-out (shout) to friends etc at a distance in the UK, ever since I can remember. It's mostly used by women just as a way of attracting someones attention.

Shouted-out as 'U-hu'

In its other context, I seem to remember it from all the Old american Western films, Riding a horse and throwing a Lasso

12. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Member VIP

Come on, in North America and parts of Europe, YAHOO has always been a term used for excitement or exuberance, or to describe someone who may be off-kilter or crazy (He's a real yahoo).

I did some researching on why it was so popular centuries ago, and I found out it was the name of a race of "brutish characters" from Gulliver's Travels (read the book long ago, but didn't remember the name).

As a TM, it should be next-to impossible to enforce as a generic term, but that doesn't mean Yahoo won't spend $$$ forcing someone to prove that fact in a long, drawn-out court battle, like those devils from Nissan vs. Uzi Nissan.

13. dande

dande Premium Domain Names VIP

I am curious to know that the "Peshawar" means. Seems to be a city in Pakistan ?

14. LagarBagar

Yes exactly dande! Its a city in Pakistan. I m from Peshawar :)

15. Chris Wright

Chris Wright Just play along. It could be fun. VIP

Sorry, but generic terms are totally enforceable when used in non-generic ways. Apple is an enforceable trademark when referring to electronics and online services.
    It is not enforceable when referring to a round, sweet, fragrant fruit.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  16. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Member VIP

I thought that is what I said - enforceable in specific areas, but not as a generic term encompassing all areas.

IOW, Apple (iPhones, iPads) can't do squat against Apple Auto Glass.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!