IT.COM

.info Market .info flood

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Whats gonna happen come january 1st 2005? All .info domains registerd for free are going to be able to be transfered. The market will be flooded. Well i guess that if someone needs a name they need a name, but we will no longer be able to get away selling more generic sort of names at a decent price because they will be so cheap.

Do u think this is gonna happen?

What is anyone doing about it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What will happen on january 1st 2005?
Sorry I don';t understand what you are saying :(

•••
Dotster have a policy that no free .info domain contact details can be changed until Jan 1, 2005. I think derrida is referring to this. I'm not sure how many other registrars share this same policy.

•••
The market may be flooded, but the good names will still command top dollar. If you were smart and only regged worthwhile domains, you needn't worry, IMO.

derrida said:
Whats gonna happen come january 1st 2005? All .info domains registerd for free are going to be able to be transfered. The market will be flooded. Well i guess that if someone needs a name they need a name, but we will no longer be able to get away selling more generic sort of names at a decent price because they will be so cheap.

Do u think this is gonna happen?

What is anyone doing about it?

•••
I think the free giveaway has actually harmed the .info market. I see ".info for sale" threads everywhere, but never even look at them anymore, because 9 out of 10 are rubbish names, obviously just registered because they were free.

Of course the premium .info domains have nothing to worry about - but there is now a glut of poor .info names around.

•••
Rob makes a point I'm sure more than a few of us share, but there are plenty of terrible names for sale everyday (and have been) in every TLD. This .info effect will subside in good time.

•••
Anthony said:
Rob makes a point I'm sure more than a few of us share, but there are plenty of terrible names for sale everyday (and have been) in every TLD. This .info effect will subside in good time.

Good point, Anthony. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back