IT.COM

"AddPeriod", then "inactive", what's next

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
So, I have this case. I backordered a name with a registrar. They seem to have caught the domain name. At least, the registry shows the sponsoring registrar in their WHOIS. However, the status of the domain name was addPeriod, there was no record in the WHOIS of the sponsoring registrar for this name, and they listed my backorder as failed.

Five days later, the status of the domain in the WHOIS of the registry changed to "inactive". There is still no entry in the WHOIS database of the sponsoring registrar. So, do you have an idea what is going to happen next? I have the feeling that the registry is going to drop the name because I've seen similar case in the past. The names are not that valuable, and I don't mind waiting to see what will happen. A possible handreg will be a nice bonus, instead of paying the full price of the backorder...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
"Was the registrar mentioned or not?" - It is mentioned:
==========================
[Whois server: whois.afilias.net]

Domain Name:
xxxxxx.info
Registry Domain ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-DONUTS
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.dynadot.com
Registrar URL: https://dynadot.com
Updated Date: Dec 3, 2023 (15:16:02)
Creation Date: Nov 28, 2023 (15:15:05)
Registry Expiry Date: Nov 28, 2024 (15:15:05)
Registrar: Dynadot11 LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 1866
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone:
Domain Status:
inactive https://icann.org/epp#inactive

[Whois server: whois.dynadot.com]

No match for domain 'xxxxxx.info'.
>>> Last Update Of WHOIS Database:
1969-12-31 16:00:00 -0800
====================================
"Also, why not contact the backorder service?"
Well, I do have some second thoughts about the backorder, and I am not sure that I would like to pay the full price if I start kicking the nest at the registrar. However, the WHOIS record appears to be an anomaly, and I am curious about its nature.

•••
Usually, premium users catch the domains -since they have higher priority than backorders (it has happened many times in the past and confirmed by Dynadot)- and the backorder fails.

However, in this case, it is clear that Dynadot's backorder registrar has caught the domain so it is strange that you got a 'failed' message. Maybe the domain got 'stuck' while being processed for an auction?

I'm in a similar situation with Hexonet (backorder-> addperiod->inactive domain).
They have caught a domain for over 10 days now and after contacting support they mentioned that it is being prepared for an auction... it has been almost a week and no auction in sight nor any response from their support.

I would wait honestly and see what happens.

•••
Yep, keeping a low profile is my policy for now. I've seen this happen in the past, and sometimes such names get dropped, which is a nice backorder at a handreg fee.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back