IT.COM

Making threads invisible

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
Dear NP staff,

There are too many trash threads on the forum, especially the sale ones, that can be clogging the the subforums or searches, like "new posts".

Lately, it is trashy .xyz sale threads that have taken over, but, of course could be anything, including sale threads with daily "up" post in it.

Please add the functionality to make any thread invisible (I know I can make any posts by an author invisible, but that is not the same by far). And, no, seeing the discussion threads only is not a good alternative either. I would love to see good sales threads as well.

Why it is good for forum users: we can mark a thread that is not of any interest once and not see it again, instead discovering threads of interest.

Why it is good for the forum: if we spend the time not sorting through the trash and weed, we can actually spend that time being engaged, reading, responding, creating. And engagement creates engagement.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm open to any suggestions. But without any other solutions, making threads invisible would be a good option. Some threads even have many multiple bumps/day from the OP. It'll take some time before we can do from our end, stuff which should be done by the mods.

•••
Wow, at least before on NP the admin staff would react to suggestions. And now ... crickets.

Is there a tag for them or something? Like they used to have team alfa or mod alfa or similar.

•••
I'm open to any suggestions. But without any other solutions, making threads invisible would be a good option. Some threads even have many multiple bumps/day from the OP. It'll take some time before we can do from our end, stuff which should be done by the mods.

yeah, it seems pointless to suggest anything here any longer.

•••
@Paul can you help answer above question?

•••
This is similar to an idea we've been toying with for a while. We have to completely rewrite how XenForo handles thread lists to make it viable, though; MySQL can't really handle filtering like that. That's definitely going to happen eventually, though I can't say when. It may end up being our next big project.

An easier first step would be to mute alerts from particular threads or to add alert filters of some sort (e.g., "exclude all alerts for threads with xyz in the title"). Those wouldn't have the same performance issues at scale. Another option would be to offer the ability to mark a thread as permanently read, though that could be problematic if someone does it by accident, as it would look like a bug--we'd inevitably get support requests for that.

Wow, at least before on NP the admin staff would react to suggestions. And now ... crickets.

I thought I was watching this forum, but I must've unsubscribed at some point, possibly when I was focusing on upgrading to XenForo 2. I definitely would've responded sooner. It's a good thing @MasterOfMyDomains tagged me.

Last edited:
•••
This is now partially implemented. A new thread muting feature is rolling out with the following behavior:
  • Threads will now have a "Mute" button toward the top near the existing "Watch" button. This toggles the mute state of a thread.
  • Initially, the following permissions will be set for registered users in all forums:
    • Ability to mute threads started by other users
    • No ability to mute your own threads
    • (edit) These permissions exclude support forums; threads in support forums can't be muted
  • For now, muted threads will continue to appear in thread lists. This will likely change in the future.
  • On any given forum page, muted threads will be shifted to the bottom of the page. This only applies to traditional forums; pages such as "Discover" won't shift muted threads to the bottom of the page, at least for now.
  • Muted threads will still appear in search results.
  • Muted threads in thread lists will be dimmer and will have a special icon next to them.
  • You won't receive alerts for replies to a muted thread even if you're watching the thread or forum.

Last edited:
•••
OK. Sounds like we got someplace there. Thanks Paul. Appreciated.

•••
We're going to move the "Mute" button into the "More options" dropdown so people don't click it by accident. Additionally, you should treat this a bit like a beta feature: the behavior is going to change over time. Muted threads will eventually be hidden from more places, and we'll likely add a "Muted/Unmuted" filter option in various locations.

•••
Back