Dynadot

.mobi Mainstream media's take on .mobi: dazed and confused

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
A recent FT (Financial Times) article focused on the potential issues with landrush in new extensions, but really lacks a general focus of how the market works. I suppose if we're all "squatters" then I can throw the "old media" label out there on 'em ;)

Arrival of .mobi raises concerns

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Certainly not a very positive article towards .mobi or domainers in general. :(

β€œA lot of the new domain names just compound the problem of trademark infringement and fraud.”
That quote caught my eye. I must admit, it's true. From the perspective of a company trying to protect a trademark, every time a new major extension is launched, it's extra cost and hassle for them. So I can understand the frustration.

•••
Big companies should really consider hiring someone full-time to manage their online identity, rather than just throwing it to their lawyers when they find a roadblock.

Much better to have a $40,000 a-year staff member keeping on top of all the registrations than to spend months in court chasing after lost domain names.

A senior lawyer at Verizon Communications, the second-largest US telecommunications group, said there was no β€œparticular business need” for β€œdotmobi” and the company had only registered verizon.mobi to prevent others taking it.

It probably cost them $2000 of their lawyer's time to complain about a $40 registration fee.

However, web developers said there was no technical benefit to using β€œdotmobi”, as websites could be designed to adapt to mobile phone screens.

As a developer myself, I would much rather split up my large-screen and small-screen websites.

Last edited:
•••
ekal said:
Big companies should really consider hiring someone full-time to manage their online identity, rather than just throwing it to their lawyers when they find a roadblock.
Yeah, it's becoming more an issue all the time. Hmmm... perhaps a new job position (title) can be created among the corporate world, and they can hire domainers for those positions!

•••
Simon Burgess seems to have no idea what exactly the definition of "cyber squatter".
There is a big difference between a "cyber squatter" and a "domain investor".
I mean why everybody calls you a CS when they just foundout that for a great generic name soemone was quicker.
Its those folks, that make us get bad reputations.
(Of cource you are a CS when you register trademarked names)

•••
Great conversation. On a side note, when do we find out if we were successful in obtaining our "backordered" mobi domains?

I "pre-registered" 3-4 mobi domains through my registrar (not reseller) and wondering how ICANN would determine the order processing rankings?

•••
sf2010 said:
On a side note, when do we find out if we were successful in obtaining our "backordered" mobi domains?
I have not heard a (definite) word about that from anybody.

But I'm hoping for some news early tomorrow, since I got my orders in many months ago.

Fingers crossed, eh? :)

•••
-db- said:
I have not heard a (definite) word about that from anybody.

But I'm hoping for some news early tomorrow, since I got my orders in many months ago.

Fingers crossed, eh? :)

I probably have a better chance of winning a lottery, but what the heck. You gotta be in it to win it, right? :laugh:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back